New Dreadies...Help ^_^

kaytedies

New Dreadies...Help ^_^

Post by kaytedies » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:39 am

I finally got my natural hair dreads *dances*.
The girl who did it used a backcombing and crochet hook method and I was curious...I would like to eventually make dreads out of human hair and attach them to my own dreads for length, but I'm not really sure how to go about doing that...
I mean, I thought about sewing them but sewing is so permanent and as my natural dreads keep growing, I'll have to keep cutting the extenders to keep the length I want (which is, mid-to lower back) and than the ends may look kind of funny.
I don't know. What are some of your methods?

Also...I need to buy some stuff to mantain my dreads like shampoo and such, what products do all of you use for matainance?

moosiefeltfelt

Re: New Dreadies...Help ^_^

Post by moosiefeltfelt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:36 am

hi when i had my dreads i use dread head HQ shampoo and knotty boy wax and stopped waxin after 4months aprt from when doin my re-growth.
as for dread extenders look on the knotty boy website they show ya how its dun by crochetin on to the bottem of ur dreads as far as i know i've only seen it done with fake hair but u cant tell the dif.
i have a friend who dus this if ur in the uk.

hope that helps
roll, roll, roll, the roving make the feltie dreads
hang em up n dry em out
and get a woolie head

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 am

the first person I ever heard of extending their natural dreads was vibrata chromodoris on this board (well, the old one, but this community). She unpicked the ends of her own dreads so that they were fluffy looking, then chrocheted the extenders in. In terms of growth, you may find that your hair doesn't grow longer than you want them anyway (with some hope and quite a lot of luck!) - hair does have a natural length it won't go beyond, and for some people this is longer than their feet, but for most it isn't. I believe it is determined by weight, so the extenders might actually make that length shorter than it would be normally for you (that is pure hypothesising on my part though!). Otherwise I would think you would need to cut them off, and maybe to get the tapered end again add on some more ends? Idk, I haven't had natural dreads, but this is the best i can think of. I never like the blunt ends when people just cut their dreads to shorten them, although they end up looking more natural again after a while.

I would agree with using human hair. Synthetic hair would look more dissimilar from your own hair, and is dreaded in a different way (usually) and knots up differently even if done in the same way, so I would think would be more obvious they were extensions.
telling it like it is!

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Moosiefelthfelt- I haven;t use any wax products in my dreads, the girl who did them just did the backcombing and crochet hooky-thing (lol) method. She advised me not to put any wax in them at all- but I am rethinking that because they are all sticky-outty and poofy and have lots of wild little hairs. But I am also wondering if I should wait till they mature...
Thanks for the feedback- to dreadHQ I go!

MissAnthropik- When I was younger, my hair was about mid-back length so I'm hoping it'll make it there again lol. I agree, I don't like blunt ends either, which is why I'm a but concerned about adding extenders because I really don't want those blunt ends. But maybe once the natural bits grow to the length I want, I can just pick out the sewn in bits....I guess I'll just have to test and find out. And I would def. use human hair- I really don't like synthetic hair all that much. Thanks for all your help :)

Aphrodite

Post by Aphrodite » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:17 pm

I only use shampoo, and sometimes (1 or 2 times a year) some coconut oil to keep the shiny and moisturated.

Don't use wax, it builds up in your dreads and gets all fluffy because of the dust getting caught in the wax.

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I realized today that my dreads have a lot of those annoying sticky-outty hairs. I don't know if I'm just not crocheting them properly, or if, since they are about 2 weeks old, I just need to relax and let them lock up on their own over time.
But alas, I am sticking to the no wax rule...although it is tempting to fix those unruly bits ;)

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Wed May 06, 2009 7:27 am

Two week old dreads are going to have lotsss of sticky outies. My favorite way to get rid of these when dreads are young, or at least tame them, is to finger-web them. What you do is take your hands and place them together pray-style. stick your thumbs out like you're making a big L. Now place the root of a dread in your thumb-pit (between your forefinger and thumb, the elbow of the L) and clamp your dread by holding your thumbs tightly against your forefingers. Then space your hands apart so no more than a centimeter or two of dreadlock length is between them, and rub your hands together vigorously in circles (one hand clockwise, one hand counterclockwise). This will cause your dread to rub against your hands as a basic palm roll would do, but the small space makes it so your dread is getting more friction in each little spot than a full out palm roll would do. Slowly move your hands down your dread til you get to the tip. You should instantly feel your dread tighter as it kind of pulls all those fly aways around the dread, as friction is what causes the bitty knots. That's probably super confusing, I will try to find a video my friend made of it if you need it! Hopefully it helps! Don't hurt your little bebe dreads with product! You'll regret it when your picking it out of your dreads 3 years later (i've seen it on dreads 5 years later... dissssgusto)

Abbychan

Post by Abbychan » Wed May 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”