Spray painting foam ?

Elisha24

Spray painting foam ?

Post by Elisha24 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:21 am

Is it possible ? I'm pretty new to this so I'd thought I'd ask before I attacked a whole heap of foam with spray paint and end up with a mess :lol: Due to my access to a very small amount of foam colours locally it would make things a lot more interesting for me.

ANNloses

Re: Spray painting foam ?

Post by ANNloses » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:11 am

A ton of people use spraypaint to achieve transitional effect foam. The only problem is that it can flake off :(

Elisha24

Post by Elisha24 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:05 am

Yeah thats what I was worried about :( might give it a go see how it turns out.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:16 am

I do it, make sure you don't spray too thick that is when ti becomes flakey.

A light spray should stay put :)

I like doing simple stripes on foam strips.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:54 pm

I've never had a problem with flakage before. Sparkle spray paint gradients FTW :)

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:05 am

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but seeing as this is on topic, I thought I might as well ask - I remember reading ages ago about a type of spray sealant that some people used after spray painting foam or tubing to make sure it doesn't flake. Is there such a thing? I know a friend of mine uses hairspray and she says that works quite well (though it might just be luck!), but I remember reading about something else...

I haven't had problems with flaking myself - just make sure you don't spray too thickly! - but I'm quite paranoid about them doing so while I'm out :lol:
More human than human

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:24 pm

tazzyface wrote:I don't mean to hijack your thread, but seeing as this is on topic, I thought I might as well ask - I remember reading ages ago about a type of spray sealant that some people used after spray painting foam or tubing to make sure it doesn't flake. Is there such a thing? I know a friend of mine uses hairspray and she says that works quite well (though it might just be luck!), but I remember reading about something else...

I haven't had problems with flaking myself - just make sure you don't spray too thickly! - but I'm quite paranoid about them doing so while I'm out :lol:
I'm not sure what it is, but my guess is that if there is a product specifically for it, you'll find it near the spray paint in the hardware store or near the paints at a craft store.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Elisha24

Post by Elisha24 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:29 am

Thanks for the responses everyone :) I love finding new things to work with. I was thinking maybe some sort of spray gloss/top coat may prevent it from flaking, I might check out the hardware store see if I can find anything.

Dark Gentleman

Post by Dark Gentleman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:33 am

I used spray paint purchased at Michael's craftstores. There is one kind that says made for all craft items including foam.
However, I do use a matte sealant afterwards to prevent the flaking and had no problems.

I would avoid using the ones that have heavier glitter in it, they flake off the most.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:41 am

Do you get the sealant from Michaels, too?
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Dark Gentleman

Post by Dark Gentleman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:50 am

ikickshins wrote:Do you get the sealant from Michaels, too?
Yes I did. The brand name was "Design Master" Color Tool Spray. They have a Gloss and a Matte sealant.

I'm certain they still supply it too.

It took a bit of trial and error with the spray paint to get it right. So far, it works fine.

cypherlox

Post by cypherlox » Sun May 03, 2009 4:11 pm

The best thing is to test different brands, I find that matte spray paint usually works better than glossy, and don't over-coat. If done right you don't even need a top coat / sealant spray and it won't flake off. Also, lighter colored foam works better for spray paint, darker foam is a bit trickier but can be done.
CypherLOX.com
Visit us on Facebook!
Visit us on Myspace!
Follow us on Twitter!

Cypherlox.com - Custom Falls & Extensions, Hair Making Supplies, Hair Dye, Goggles, Fuzzy Boot Covers and more!

tsanuko

Post by tsanuko » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:29 am

I've used Kryolan plastic fusion spraypaint on foam before, without any flaking. It also sticks well to vinyl tubing...

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam, Tubing & ?!@#!”