THE ONE AND ONLY INTRODUCTION THREAD!

Forum rules
Please can all new members add to the ONE thread- DO NOT make your own thread.

DO not promote or sell
NO chatter at all
mangajude

Re: THE ONE AND ONLY INTRODUCTION THREAD!

Post by mangajude » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 am

Hello everyone, my name is jude. Im 28 and live in the sussex, uk. I am a big fan of dread extensions, even since I discovered there greatness. I love them as I am a nurse and need boring normal hair most of the time but like to wear them on annual leave! I am on maternity leave so I planning on going hair crazy, in between running round after a mental toddler and a screaming baby!!!

I here just to refresh my self on methods etc and see what knowledge I can gain from you brainy people!

I do love a good forum because it makes the world a smaller place. It is so much easier to learn about things that with out the internet would be almost impossible to find out. I love people with the same interest that know as much! aring

In my list of other obsessions are Cloth Nappies, Sewing, baking and Baby Wearing!
Jude

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

Ahoy hoy! I have returned, previously kikky_lou I've been away for about 2 and a half years, I moved house and had no internet for a while and just drifted away.
I now live in Manchester (previously Leeds when I was here before) 23 years old, roller derby player, cat lover, chef.
I'm considering dreads again after growing my hair back to shoulder length from a skinhead but i'm not sure how it will go down at work.

Glad to be back!
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

Kittyboo

Post by Kittyboo » Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi!
I'm Kat and I am useless at making my own synthetic dreads at the moment but reading through this forum has helped me loads and I'm slowly getting better!
I'm a qualified hairdresser but rusty on cutting as I didn't stick to it as a profession, even though I constantly change my hair own colour and style I stuck to doing friends hair and things rather than gettin a job in a salon. Shampoo and sets and perms didn't really appeal to me!
I'm going to do a hair cutting refresher course in September then hoping to get a bit more mobile work doing cuts, colouring and extensions to make a bit of extra cash alongside my day job.

This forum is exactly what I needed to help with all my dreading questions so yeh, Hi!

Katx

Laces

Post by Laces » Sun May 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Hello :) I'm Laces and I love all things to do with hair! I am always trying new styles, and dying my hair different colours, trying out coloured highlights, etc. I have wanted synthetic dreads for a long time but only recently got around to ordering some. Around three years ago I started to make my own thin dreads from synthetic hair but I didn't do a very good job... I gave up and now I think the time has come to see how I like synthetic dreads made properly and installed in my hair! Maybe I will be inspired to start making them again, who knows! :)

Technome

Post by Technome » Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 am

• meeeep! Hi my name is Tech. I am a super duper long time lurker of this hair forum. like wow I have been lurking so much.

I used to lurk on Heavenly Hair if anyone used to be on there, no idea because its been ages. I went off to college and when I got back into hair it was gooonnneee. I have been a massive admirer of synth hair for forever but never actually got to wearing any. Because I was terrible at making anything and couldn't afford to have someone else do it. So I would just do weird things to my natural hair instead.

BUT NOW, YE HAIR, I SHALL ATTEMPT TO TACKLE THEE. For I am prepared and have monies. :twisted:
      I actually finally joined and came out of my lurk cave just because you guys seem so friendly and I've wanted to comment on how amazing a lot of these things are but forgot I couldn't and was sad everytime. SO NEVER AGAIN! =D

and the tutorials, holy crap. talk about useful. I just ordered some stuff from I Kick Shins and got a little set up going so I guess we'll see how this goes! then I'll be able to post in the critique section heuhhuehheuh

LunaLunatic

Post by LunaLunatic » Tue May 28, 2013 11:00 am

Hiya,
I have found my way back to this forum - somehow I haven't been here in ages. Hope that will change again, this forum has always been an inspiration for me :)

Amb3r

Post by Amb3r » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm back too! lol
My name is Amber. I took a sabbatical and a good 16 month break from dread making/selling. I'm excited to get back at it again and swoon over everyone's work.

PepperDreads

Post by PepperDreads » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:39 am

Hiya!

I was introduced to dreads by a google search, and when I saw the colorful synthetic dreads, I'm all like WOAH! I have to get me some of those! So last year I began making my own. I've made everything from human hair dreads, to colorful synthetics. I just recently bought some faux roving (felt fabric) dreads of Etcy and I'm sooo in love with them. I have an undercut as well as dreads on top. I lost most of my hair due to too much hair glue put in my hair :cry: I have about enough hair to tie in dreads (thanks to Doctored Locks tutorial videos!!) I plan on wearing dreads for a long time to come, so it really worked out! :i2:
there are plenty of fish in the sea, but to many sharks..

tixik

Post by tixik » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 am

Hey ^_^

So my girlfriend pointed me here as I am looking to get some dreads, I have currently stolen hers until I get mine :D

My name is Shaun, think that's about it for now!

See you all around :D

OddOzz

Post by OddOzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:28 am

Hello y'all. I'm Ozz.

Currently in the process of learning and making my first set thanks to all the wonderfull infor y'all got on here ^^ thanks

beautifulsinergie

Post by beautifulsinergie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Hello Everyone
This is Stephanie from Sinergie Hair Crafters
:i2:
Glad to be here
hope to be posting in the future so I can have the benefit of all your wonderful advice
if anyone wants to come look around my budding shop and give some advice I would love it
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sinergiehaircrafters

goldenmoon

Post by goldenmoon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 pm

hi,
i'm not new here but it's been soooooo many years since I haven't post that i thought i should redo a "hello" post! :i9:

CheyenneLeHale

Post by CheyenneLeHale » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 am

Hi, I'm Cheyenne. Sorry, I'm never creative enough to make up a sweet screen name for anything lol.

I'm a single mother, and I work from home creating various arts and crafts. I have the most wonderful son, Charlie. He is my favorite person EVER! Plus, I get to make him toys and blankets and DIY fashions, which is oodles of fun.

My grandparents were awesome too. My Grandfather was a carpenter, who did beautiful woodworking, and my Grandmother was all about the crafts. She did everything from sewing to making carousel horses to creating her own sculpting material from sawdust. Both my parents are wonderful painters and photographers, and I have a wonderfully talented older brother, who paints and does animation.
With inspiration like that, I picked up on all sorts of arts and crafts techniques. So, when I ended up in college, I majored in Jewelry Design.

I became interested in synthetic hair years ago... after, in a desperate attempt to chemically straighten my wild naturally curly thick poof-ball hair, I basically melted it off. Yes, imagine going to brush your hair, and having thick chunks of hair breaking off...chunk after chunk, and having to call your bf at 2:30am to shave off the remnants. (Luckily it grew back) I learned my lesson about massively over processing my hair, and I think I built character... or something along those line. I also realized that I have a nice shaped skull with cute little freckles, that having a shaved head is very chilly in Michigan winters, and that wigs are way warmer than any hat.

So, I'm new to the process of creating my own hair pieces, so I'm just hoping to pick up on some more info and techniques, and maybe make some new online friends.

https://www.facebook.com/cheyenne.hale
http://cheyenne-lehale.livejournal.com/
https://twitter.com/CheyenneLeHale
http://cheyennelehale.deviantart.com/
http://myworld.ebay.com/cheyennelehale

zweetpea

Post by zweetpea » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:17 am

Hello! My name's Jessie and I'm relatively new here being it took me a while to register, but I have been having fun looking at tons of posts and your guys' critiques to help me since I'm making my very first set of synthetic dreadlocks right now! It'll be fun to talk to you guys and maybe get some critique of my own :i2:

NATTYDREADZ

Post by NATTYDREADZ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:48 am

*Stands up* My name is Nat, and I make dreads.

Some of you may already know me from FB as NattyDreadz. I'm from the UK, and have been informally doing real dreads for friends (starting with my own way back when) for the better part of 20 years. I never pursued it in greater depth as I was busy with other projects, but over time, as a slow but natural progression I turned my techniques to making realistic style synthetics.
I set up NattyDreadz about 20 months ago, and am really proud of the way it has progressed, and the amazing friends I have met because of it.
I have a background in art, and have always loved various crafts, so I make all sorts of little bits and bobs as well as dreads.
I have been intending to join HEF for some time, but I can be a bit shy :)
So Hi! *waves* here I am.

fuzzzilla

Post by fuzzzilla » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:33 am

Hello! I'm Robin. I started making synth dreads just a few months ago, and I can't stop. :i6:
Many years ago, I had a set of Hair Police dreads installed, which were miserable for some reason, but very pretty, and that's what started this fire. And now my bedroom is full to bursting with Kanekalon!
I'm super excited about all there is to learn. I've been browsing and searching like mad- here and on Youtube- and I will probably be asking some very silly technique questions soon.
So yeah, hi! Happy to be here! :i12:
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain multitudes."

-Walt Whitman

Liza94

Post by Liza94 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Hey, my name is Shaki and I have been practically wearing fake hair for most of my life. I'm a bit of a colour crazy braid nut. My braids are usually always styled in pick and drop and colourful. I do not know how to make dreads but hopefully I will soon. Apart from loving fake colourful hair music, politics and comic books are probably my other favourite things.
"She's going to tap that primal scream"- NOFX

velvetmoondreams

Post by velvetmoondreams » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi,

I found this forum today, and I found that it can actually solve all my problems.
I'm planning treat myself with KK braids, but I have a lot of doubts and questions. My only experience with fake extensions so far is wearing clip-in natural hair and long long time ago I had synthetic dreads (but only about 15, only to blend with my own hair, not cover them) so I'm total newbie...

Beside of this, my own hair is well-known for being colourful for already few years (for example one of my latests hairstyles:)
here are my other pics and basically everything what I create http://velvetmoondreams.tumblr.com/tagged/mine

I'm also graphic design student on art academy and at the same time I'm studying computer engineering at uni. My grades say that I'm pretty good at drawing and painting, designing, computer art, math and programming. I enjoy training ballet and my most recent passion - traditional calligraphy.

Nice to meet you all~!

equusargentum

Post by equusargentum » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi, I'm Cat - returning to the board after a few years away. Used to be into wearing synth dread falls, now attempting to make some synth dreads for my girlfriend and remembering why I ended up letting other people do it last time round ;)

Ogichi

Post by Ogichi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 am

Newbie from Finland here, took a while for me to register. I found this forum via Google where I was trying to find info about making dreads myself :) Still have lot to learn... Usually I just use clip-in hair extensions, but I've always wanted to try dreads! Wish me luck... ^^

shelldoo

Post by shelldoo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 am

Hello, all. my name is Shellie, I'm from Philly. I had my first set of natural dreads for several years, used de dreads to make my hair thicker. (I ordered them online I didn't make them myself). With my first set of dreads I had several of my natural dreads felted w/ wool roving. 3 years ago i combed out my dreads, basically to let go of a lot of negative I felt I was carrying. started a new set 2.5 years ago. I still use de synthetic dreads to thicken when i feel like it. I am waiting on an order of wool roving to attempt my first set of de wool roving dreads.

Meowde

Post by Meowde » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Hiya! My name is Maude, I am a 21 year old girl from Quebec! I always loved synthetic dreads (and natural ones too; although the crazy colors being more available in synthetic ones made me fall in love with them!), so when i got into raving i finally indulged myself in some awesome sets :)

Fossor

Post by Fossor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm not the best at these but here I go!

Hey I'm Fossor, but everyone calls me Avi.
Im a long time stalker here and finally came to join at last.
I live in the Caribbean! Not at awesome as everyone thinks! The beach is cool but one season all year long is sickening!

I have been interested in making syth dread extensions for years now, I saw them on vampirefreaks back in the day and I always loved seeing them, I couldn't get my hands on the items to make them until a few years ago, I think in 2008-9 I started wearing dreads. I have done experiments before hand with wool and straight extensions but I didnt like damaging my hair with heat, and I wanted to keep my natural Afro hair as healthy and protected as possible but have funky,colorful, fun, big hair(I already naturally have BIG hair but you understand) without dying and damaging my hair, so dreads became my go to style then became my all around fave way to wear my hair when I don't feel like taming my massive fro for a while!

Dreads are just awesome and I always wear them and I take a few months break in between.
Apart from dread making I'm just a D.I.Y person where I alter/make my clothes, accessories, and handmade jewelry which I have made a teeny tiny small business from and its my fave thing to do, because living on a small island there is little to no places where I can find items I can add to my clothing and style so I have come to use whatever I can to make/alter everything and I get a surge of joy making alot of my attire!

If I can figure out how to add a pic later on I will edit one in!
Wish I had joined sooner!
My Shop Page
[url=https://www.fossorr,devinatart.com]Deviantart[/url]

brittini

Post by brittini » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Ello awesome peoples of the interwebs! I'm Brittini, 28 (as of 2014, lol), I live with my boyfriend of (as of now) seven and a half years, our cat (BB) and out dog (Tank). I'm a Supernatural obsesser that loves "Destiel" & "Wincest", loves cats, photography, music (going to concerts a lot), and of course... hair.

I have little experience with hair extensions of any kind but am beginning now; I just started making my own synthetic dreads about a few weeks ago so I'm a complete beginner at this and could use all the tips possible, lol. I have, however, been bleaching and dying hair since I was about 12 years old so I'm pretty good at that. :P

Hope to become a "regular" on here and make some digital friends as well as become knowledgeable in the synthetic dread area! *curtsies*

SkylardreadMaster

Post by SkylardreadMaster » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Hello all!!
I began making dreads about a year ago, using PP and KK fibers (As well as some human hair) so I know a little bit about working with different synthetic hair. I'm 31 yrs old, which my fiancé thinks I'm a little too to be dressing the way I do, but who cares 8-)

My style isn't quite as extreme, but it is still out there. I live here in Indiana, so it's quite hard to pull off any type of synthetic dreads (especially swirled) in this town. But oh well :i9:

I listen to any type of rock, from retro, alternative to grunge like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, God Smack-Evenescence being my fave. My favorite musical of all time is "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"
I have had 4 years Theater training (2 years acting classes + 2 years Tech Theater) That's all that's interesting in my life, so far..I think lol. Thankies! XxXx
Don't be careful for what you wish for...You just might get it

Return to “New to the Hair extentions forum...”