Need ideas for "professional" looking dreads

Astrume

Need ideas for "professional" looking dreads

Post by Astrume » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:07 am

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I haven't found anything with this topic.

I recently got the ok from my manager to wear synthetic dreads (yay!) but they have to look "professional" and well kept. I have jet black hair and I was going to make some dreads to match it. I really want some highlights for my dreads but I can't think of a color combo that isn't too dull or too extreme. I know this sounds silly since black pretty much goes with everything, but I'm looking for a color(s) that highlights black but nothing too over the top (Nothing neon or unnatural colors).

I was thinking about auburn or blonde, but I haven't seen anything on the internet that I liked. Can any of you lovely people help me? Do you wear dreads while working in a corporate/ business atmosphere? If so, what color are your dreads?
"The most beautiful things emerge from chaos...I don't even know what that word 'chaos' means, you know? Chaos appose to what, order? When is there order anywhere?" -- Esperanza Spalding

starlotus

Re: Need ideas for "professional" looking dreads

Post by starlotus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 pm

I've never worn dreads to work, but I'm currently in the process of getting into a program to be a personal trainer, and you bet your butt when I'm working for myself I plan to have them. I'd go with ones that match your hair as closely as possible and are relatively skinny. I think skinny twisted dreads or neatly crocheted ones tied back in a pretty up-do could definitely look professional. As far as highlights, have you thought of maybe a deep maroon or wine-red? Not a "natural" color per se, but one that people in "professional" jobs dye to pretty frequently and no one seems to have a problem with it. It would also give a little more of a color pop than an auburn against the black.

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:12 pm

I like ikickshins dark autumn mix with black or off black/bright auburn mix.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 pm

I started with black & a few dark purple underneath, then started to add more colours. My previous work were ok with any colour though. (I was a call centre trainer) My current position, (retail) I've had dreads too but as I deal with the "general public" I personally have chosen to keep to blended dreads matching my hair.

I have pictures, from first work dreads to most recent:

This isn't all of them, but basically "professional" looking dreads is perfectly doable. Oh, and monochrome is always a win for those with dark hair ;)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Astrume

Post by Astrume » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:57 am

Thank you so much for your input everyone! And thank you for your pics, Dreadstar. I love your transitional dreads and I think I'll make a set of my own using natural shades of reds.

I was just looking around the forum and I found this: http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... al#p312797

I LOVE that shade of red on those transitionals. I really want to try this style, but I guess it's a little too extreme for work maybe?
"The most beautiful things emerge from chaos...I don't even know what that word 'chaos' means, you know? Chaos appose to what, order? When is there order anywhere?" -- Esperanza Spalding

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 pm

It is REALLY going to depend on what your work calls "extreme." Here in my office, that shade of red is nothing. My hair is currently black and teal.

Maybe try going a deep wine burgundy shade with black, and if that proves acceptable, you can try tossing one or two brighter red ones in there to test the waters.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:37 pm

I wouldn't say it was extreme - perhaps have some blended trans so it's not as "in our face"

I can't really comment on the extreme though - my hair is bright orange & I am getting dreads to match :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm

I would go with neat, sleek dreads.

this is one of my customers, working for an IT Services:

her first set in more natural colours:

she also works for IT Services:

and there are more working people I made dreads for.
but if you look at the gallery you can see they all had some more exciting colour combos for the second or third time, once the boss got used to the dreads themselves ;)

Cariad Dreads

Post by Cariad Dreads » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I second the maroon/wine and the monochrome suggestions :) You could also perhaps style the dreads in such a way that the ends are tucked in and therefore hidden, in which case you could have, say, transitionals of black going into any colour you choose? Just a thought... :)
Human nature's shedding skin, we're all just shedding skin...

anjaloveshervw

Post by anjaloveshervw » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:04 am

Here is my work hair:

And no one seems to mind :) but then again, I am a mechanic and I don't deal with any customers :)

anjaloveshervw

Post by anjaloveshervw » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:06 am

when I worked as a therapist, my dreads were a very dark brown. I pulled them back in a tight bun behind my head, often wore a headband to cover the frizzies on top of my head, and had my bangs parted neatly to the side of my face. I often dressed more professional than everyone else in my office to offset the hair. Suits, button up shirts, pleated pants and nice shoes and what have you :) It seemed to work. Then I quit :)

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”