What can I do with my hair colour?

dione2284

What can I do with my hair colour?

Post by dione2284 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 am

I finally bit the bullet and got my hair professionally coloured (I've always done it myself at home) well it was a disaster, I've always had dark hair and wanted to go a bit lighter, the stylist put an all over colour then highlights, after a week I went back and complained, a different stylist stripped my hair, put an all over no 6 then slices of highlights, it's been about 3 weeks since it was done and I pretty much hate it, I'm not confident in myself at all so always try to make my hair look good, I have put a link at the bottom for photos of me with my old hair and what the new colour is like, can someone who knows what their talking about please tell me what to do next? I'm not going back to the salon and spending so much money for what I think is a bad hair colour and there is a Sallys Beauty Supply store near me , but it's what colour to buy and what colour would suit me? Please help.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z395/dione2284/

Couture_Coiffure

Re: What can I do with my hair colour?

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 pm

What particularly do you not like about what you have now?

It's hard to judge how you current colors works with you face since it seems to be absent in that one photo.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Maybe it's cos it's a pretty drastic change? I'm not sure. However, I usually tell people to go blue ;)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

emmalooxx

Post by emmalooxx » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:32 pm

maybe it's because the highlighted bits are quite chunky, they look quite random. the allover colour looks really good, have you thought about either going just the brown allover or maybe asking them to highlight your hair 1/2 head or do really chunky slices throughout the hair in random places? sorry my hairdressing jargon is terrible these days.
<3 "I don't consider myself to be a pessimist, I see a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain...And yet I feel soaked to the skin. " - Leonard Cohen

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Why not try a nice vibrant auburn? That would go over what you have now and yet not be such a DRASTIC change.

dione2284

Post by dione2284 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks so much for the comments guys, I've posted on a lot of sites and never get reasonable replies, it is maybe just because I'm not used to it, don't think I'll be able to get more colour done just now as my hairs quite damaged xx

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:52 pm

You could use a semi perm red, do a strand test first obviously. As your hair's quite dark, it may come out as a deep reddy brown.

It's worth a go, I think it could look quite nice :)

Plus semi perm won't damage your hair!

EDIT - looking at your pics again, I think a deep red would go nice with your skintone, you have great skin!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Can we see what it looks like now, with your pretty face included for added skin tone reference?

Usually I try to be gentle... but if that's what your highlights look like I'd say you have a right to be upset. I'd looove to give you some ideas but I need to see what you look like from the front!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

dione2284

Post by dione2284 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:57 am

You guys are so lovely, I'll get a picture up from the front soon and maybe give me some ideas, hate getting my picture taken lol x

dione2284

Post by dione2284 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:22 am

Hey so finally put up other pictures of my hair, so can you guys tell me what you think of the colour and also the style, should I keep the colour and style the way it is or would I suit something else? suggestions and maybe pictures of styles you think I would suit better would be much appreciated. x

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:11 am

So... I'll start with saying it could be a LOT worse!

That said, I don't think it's the most flattering shade for you. I like the photo of you with a rich dark brown (not the super dark black quite as much), and stemming from that I would say a nice chocolatey brown with some red tones in it would look nice if you want to stick with something mainstream. If you wanted to go a little wilder you could go with a black cherry, or even a deep wine color with some darker brown around your face! If you wanted to stay on the lighter side for summer, I would still deepen the brown just a bit. I think it's just too gold for your skin tone, from what I can see.

If you're feeling super bold I'd love to see how super short straight-across bangs look on you! Also, a few more layers would be nice, maybe try curling it? Will it hold a curl?

dione2284

Post by dione2284 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 am

Thank you for your honest opinion, much appreciated, yeah I just can't seem to get used to the golden tone, Scarletlady suggested going red which I like the idea of, I've been a deep red before but didn't think it suited me but maybe it would go brighter, I also liked the sound of the chocolate brown with red tones you mentioned, can you recommend how to do that? I have a sallys beauty supply store here, also I've been told I really suit curls but no they don't hold well at all, i had thought of getting permanent curls but I don't no if that would look horrendous because of my layers. Again thanks for the honesty. :)

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:14 am

I don't know the lines they sell at Sally's well enough to give you an exact formula, but I would start with a semi-permanent color just to make sure you like it (and if you don't it'll fade and you can shoot for something different a little easier) and also to be a bit gentler on the cuticle since you've recently had several processes. Use a 10 volume peroxide (nice and low) and look for something around a level 4 or 5. You'll want a brown with red, which often is refereed to as "RB". You might also consider a tone with just a touch of violet in it ("BRV") to help combat the gold and keep the color rich instead of muddy. Talk to the girls that work there, they usually have a basic idea what you mean!

As for helping to hold your curls, Try redken's Quick Dry hairspray. It's freakin' amazing, especially for fine hair. Doesn't get crunch, helps hold a curl. Love it.

Return to “Styling and Color”