Dread wig advice

bluexeon

Dread wig advice

Post by bluexeon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Righto, i have a few questions about dread wigs

Ive never made a dread wig before but i make dreads. My friends missus has cancer and hasnt been given a very good outlook. She has recently been told she is to have chemo in the next few weeks. She said she liked my hair but seemed really down at the fact that she could never have dreads in due to not having any hair. My mate has asked me if there is anything i could do so i thought about a dread wig for her.

First of all, I have 3 wigs i dont wear, made from kanekalon and if possible i could use one of these as a base. Can i do this?

Secondly, how do i actually do it, i have a vague idea, i was kinda going to make some dreads, band them in and possibly dread some of the hair on the wig.

Thirdly, is there anything i can get for the wig thats going to hold it on her head. I am making the lightest dreads i can make for the wig but with her not having any hair to pin it to to hold it still im a bit unsure what i can do to hold it tight.

My friend is paying for the hair and im making them for free for her. I want to make them as nice as possible for her so any suggestions would be welcome. Ive been told she would love black, purple and blonde dreads so i need to make a combination of that lol.

Vicsarina

Re: Dread wig advice

Post by Vicsarina » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:28 pm

I think I remember a similar thread on the old board. They eventually decided to use roving and a headband so that it wouldn't cause irritation. I don't know if roving is an option, but it would be better because it is much lighter and needs less to anchor. Even I struggle to wear a full synth dread wig so it is something to consider.

I know there is a tutorial somewhere on the board about making a roving dread wig. I just tried searching but the words are apparently too common. Will post again when I find it.
*Rule Obsessor*

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:30 pm

*Rule Obsessor*

bluexeon

Post by bluexeon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 am

I dont know how to make roving dreads lol. Im thinking of making very thin dreads that arent too heavy, hopefully they wont be anyways. Im not sure if she will wear it all the time or just on odd occasions when she goes out. My workmate says you can get a rubber cap thingy that grips it on but it made her mums head itchy. Ive never worn a dreadwig myself, ive had normal wigs and had to pin them on.

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Toupee tape and body glue can help keep a wig on but a more comfortable option may be a combo of a gel wig band and a cotton liner.

bluexeon

Post by bluexeon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am

Yea, thats the kinda thing i was looking for. I might try one of those. Thanks!!

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”