my first DE

LoseristicLee

my first DE

Post by LoseristicLee » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 am

So this is my first attempt at doing a DE dread (the only other ones were SE ) and I would really appreciate any advice/help any of you can give
thanx

radio-trash

Re: my first DE

Post by radio-trash » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 am

Good first attempt! It helps a lot while you backcombing to take it apart and re-backcomb the big rats nest a bunch of times and feel along with your hand for any big lumps, i think that may be what is happening here. It'll come with practice :)
"When it's dark enough, you can see the stars"
http://chanceyanne.etsy.com

luvplacebo

Post by luvplacebo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:21 pm

It looks good for a first attempt but you need to backcomb more evenly so it goes from thick to thin smoothly rather than having a lump. Twist after backcombing while feeling for lumps helps, if you find any, pick them apart and backcomb again.
http://www.lighthousedreads.webs.com: offering 10% discounts for board users in exchange for photos

LoseristicLee

Post by LoseristicLee » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:21 pm

thanx for the help^_^

KaiMassacre

Post by KaiMassacre » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:03 am

the bend section at the top is looking very good indeed :D
my first DE bend was horrendous, tbf o_O so well done! XD

don't forget to trim off any stray hairs that come off of the dread after you have sealed so you avoid that 'halo' effect you can sometimes get and to allow for an even smoother dread :)

Rockngene

Post by Rockngene » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:49 pm

^ see, that's a personal thing.
I never trim the hair around the dread once it's sealed. I find it really uncomfortable once installed as it makes pokies that itches my scalp! Even in falls it make weird pokies.
But that's just an opinion ;)

Follow the advice of all the other ladies and you'll make great dreads soon, you seem to have got the hang of it already, so just more practice and you'll be fine.
once upon a time, rockngene.

KaiMassacre

Post by KaiMassacre » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Rockngene wrote:^ see, that's a personal thing.
I never trim the hair around the dread once it's sealed. I find it really uncomfortable once installed as it makes pokies that itches my scalp! Even in falls it make weird pokies.
But that's just an opinion ;)
To get around this I go over them again with a pair of straighteners to get rid of the scratchy-ness it can cause. I totally hate the halo effect you get, and prefer the dreads to appear smoother, so yeah, a personal thing I guess (:

Return to “Hair Critique”