braids and dyeing? and some noob questions

runningwithlola

braids and dyeing? and some noob questions

Post by runningwithlola » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:55 am

My friend wants me to attempt braiding her hair. She gets her hair color done at a salon. How soon after dyeing her hair can we braid it? Should we wait a few days, or would it be ok to do it the same day?

Also, for a total noob, seriously, how many hours are we looking at, approximately? Her hair is to her shoulders, she wants the braids almost to her waist. And her hair is not particularly thick or thin, just normal I'd say. She wants braids of medium thickness, I guess pencil thickness?

Oh!! One last question.. where do you recommend starting the braids? Around the hairline, or at the part, etc?

Thanks in advance!! Any help is much appreciated.

IKickShins

Re: braids and dyeing? and some noob questions

Post by IKickShins » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:29 am

I once did braids on a client who'd freshly dyed her hair and I had an awful time getting a tight grip on the hair because it was too soft from the conditioner she used after rinsing out the dye.. so while it's not necessary to wait a few days, I'd recommend it just because it might be a little easier on you. Or maybe just see how her hair feels when it's freshly done and judge from there.

The amount of time it takes varies a *lot* depending on how fast you braid. It takes me around 8-12 hours to do a full head of braids (more around 8 on other folks, up towards 12 on myself).

You can start from the nape of the neck, the front, or the part. It really just depends on what you prefer. When I install on myself, I always go from the front or from my part, but when I do installs on other people I find it easier to start from the back. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would say the exact opposite or think it's weird to do it two different ways, too -- it just comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:01 pm

the length of her hair won't really affect the braiding time, it;s the overall length of the braids that will affect that. When I have done a full head of waist length braids it has taken about 12 hours, even on someone else. Braiding is very time consuming.

Agreed that you should be fine to braid straight onto dyed hair but may not get a good grip. The day after would probably be best. If you are still struggling to get a good grip a spray of hairspray on your section before you start braiding will help
telling it like it is!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm in full agreement with the ladies above on the time it takes; I average about 9 hours on braids that length. It can sometimes take 8 and it can sometimes take over 10, usually depending on the cut of the hair; layers can be tough to blend in. If its your first go and its a friend, it may be wise to keep the following day free just in case either of you find the going too tough all at once.

I work with a wax while braiding, as most people do tend to wash and condition their hair before sitting in front of a hairdresser. The one I use is a childrens' formulation designed for cornrowing. I just put the tiniest dab to each section which makes even the most difficult hair much more compliant. I've had equally good results with a tiny dab of vaseline when necessary.

I would definitely start at the nape of the neck. You get a better overall shape and less chance of straggler hairs ending up in the wrong section. Also, it stops you from getting lazy with sectioning as you near the end. Braiding is hard work, but well worth the effort.

Would love to see what you come up with. :D
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:42 am

I've only ever braided my own hair without extensions and even that took about 8 hours when it was just past boob-length so it's very time consuming!

Like Grace I tend to use a tiny bit of wax (literally enough to lightly coat the tips of your fingers) when braiding my hair as it makes them neater and you get less fluffy bits.

Good luck!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

runningwithlola

Post by runningwithlola » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:24 am

Thank you ladies!

Fortunately my man has long hair, so he's been coerced into sitting still for an hour so I can practice on him a bit! ha! :twisted:

What about washing her hair? She had braids before, 10 years ago, and used some kind of a dry shampoo to keep her scalp clean. I told her she could probably use any dry shampoo, I use a dry shampoo between washings (have a very oily scalp), but wanted to be sure.. any specific recommendations?

We still have to go get the hair anyway, so I'm sure we can pick some up. And I'm waiting for Doc Locks' braid sealer to be back in stock too.

Return to “Braids & Twists”