Can you mix conditioner in with bleach?

Candy.Acid

Can you mix conditioner in with bleach?

Post by Candy.Acid » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 am

My hair is blacky/brown, hate it, but have ruined my hair before and its only just got to the length im sort of happy with, but i want it to be colourful! Is it true that you can mix conditioner with bleach and it'll be less damaging? And what is the best bleach you reccomend that doesnt damage as much? I dont care about the price lol just want something good!! How about this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L%27Oreal-Platini ... 7002r36177

? Any answers would be muchly appreciated! :)

tazzyface

Re: Can you mix conditioner in with bleach?

Post by tazzyface » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Conditioner would inhibit lightening because it closes up the cuticles, whereas for bleach to work the cuticles need to be opened. You can however use shampoo with bleach to make a bleach bath - the result is pretty much the same but it's quicker because the shampoo aids in opening up the cuticles. It doesn't make the process any less damaging however. I've done many a test on spare bits of hair (I save it when I get it cut to prevent me wrecking my own hair!) and the result is pretty much identical, a bleach bath just works faster. I prefer doing bleach baths because I seem to save bleach that way, and I find it easier to apply.

To make a bleach bath, I mix up 3 parts bleach (powder and developer) to 1 part shampoo. This is a rough guide though, I more so aim to get the right consistency.

As for the best type of bleach, well, it's all the same with a different brand on it. I've never used ammonia free bleach however, so I can't comment on the one you've linked to.

Just a word of warning, getting the dark dye out is (usually) quite easy - but when you get up to the orange stage, be prepared from some trouble :P

If you do a search, you'll find a load of information about bleaching.
This thread is particularly helpful: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8740&p=146189

And remember, protein treatments are your friend!
More human than human

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:17 pm

tazzyface wrote: To make a bleach bath, I mix up 3 parts bleach (powder and developer) to 1 part shampoo. This is a rough guide though, I more so aim to get the right consistency.
i always though a bleach bath was equal parts water, shampoo, bleach powder and developer. i personally have always found bleach baths to be kinda to my hair but it's still going to damage your hair and you'll probably need to use more than one to lighten your hair enough for bright colours to show properly. the brand of bleach may mean a faster result but it'll still damage. if you don't want to risk damaging your hair then the best thing to do is just avoid bleaching completely. conditioning treatments give the appearance of healthier hair but once it's damaged, it can't be truely repaired.

you're a dab hand at dying extensions so why not just use those? there's also the option of henna which is apparently really conditioning to use for your hair, although you may not be able to bleach over that
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:03 am

People have different ways of making bleach baths, I've seen quite a few different instructions on the net - that's just my preferred way of making it as I've found it works the best for me :) I'd assume the water dilutes the peroxide though so it isn't as strong, but this is just going by what I've read here.
More human than human

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Unfortunately hon (as Lorny has said many times before) all bleach damages hair. different types of bleach won't do more or less damage as far as I know because it's the same chemical reaction. You can get there more safely (by using bleach baths or lower vols of bleach) but if you want to get your hair white for example then the damage will be same no matter how you get there. If you do go white, I'd recommend Aussie leave in condiioner - it's a life saver. As is Boots coconut hair mask (it'a bout £3 for a massive tub). I have white blonde hair and use both of these and it's in pretty good nick.

Good luck hon!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

tiiniaDolly

Post by tiiniaDolly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 am

i've found that bleach bath can help in having a more even bleaching process. a lady i work with goes from black to platinum every few months just using a soap cap and never goes through the graduated white, to ginger to brow phase
i also always use a soap cap first when lightening hair that has color on it.

the best thing i've found for repairing hair is an ApHogee protien treatment. you can get it at sally's, it's in a white bottle with purple lettering. always do this after bleach but before coloring and i'll warn you that it can get really messy, especially on long hair. the directions say to wash hair, while hair is a bit damp apply the treatment then let it sit till it's hard, if it doesn't get hard it's not near as effective. then rinse, wash your hair again if needed, you don't want this stuff stuck in your hair, condition the hair and let it sit for awhile.
you don't really have to use the apHogee shampoo and conditioner that it tells you to as long as it's a cleasing shampoo and a deep conditioner
if i'm using a semi permenent to color my hair i mix a lil conditioner with it and do that after i've rinsed out the apHogee, this way your cuticle is still open when you put the color on and if you leave it on long enough you shouldn't have any issues with the coditioner diluting the color

hope that helps

Pixie_Kitty

Post by Pixie_Kitty » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 pm

so you just add some shampoo to your bleach ?
here is some pixie dust from pixie hollow with love from Pixie_Kitty x x

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”