Easy melt materials- Any ideas?

miasmahair

Easy melt materials- Any ideas?

Post by miasmahair » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:57 am

Okay, just had a quick squizz through the board and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask
(and I put this here because it probably falls under & ?!@#! :P so feel free to move)...
I do roving dreads and I'm looking for other materials to wrap around them and play with. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what cool materials/fibres/whatever there are apart from Angelina (which is beautiful but expensive and I'm a bit of a stinge haha) that I could use that can be easily melted onto the dreads so it will stay in place? Just wrapping stuff around is okay, but to get it to stay in place it has to be quite tight and that can make the dread go all wobbly like.
So, any hints on brands of stuff that I can look out for? Much appreciation guys :D

[Phexxie]

Re: Easy melt materials- Any ideas?

Post by [Phexxie] » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:26 pm

what about heat shrink tubing?

oh, and i remember something from quinnsters site, Atropa ran plastic straws through a pencil sharpener and got long coils of plastic which she coiled around her hair (or dreads, cant remember)

maybe that would work if you could heat it up somehow to shrink/bond it in a bit better? im considering trying it out on some dreads now lol

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Because a pencil sharpener would cut it in curls so it could just be sort of snapped on. GENIUS!
This heat shrink tubing stuff definitely sounds promising :D Do you mean the stuff that is used for electrical insulation and stuff? Might have to go lurk at my hardware store. I'd love to see what you do with it, thanks heaps for the reply!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:48 am

Heatshrink is kinda pricey. Yes it is used in electrical insulation :) The 1mm stuff looks great on its own. I always used to put it on my head when it arrived at my old work in a bundle xD A lot of it is printed though and there are limited colours. The print can be removed with isopropyl.

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam, Tubing & ?!@#!”