What job do you do that is hair friendly?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)

whats your job?

my job is not customized hair friendly!
15%
retail
12%
customer services on the phone
8%
customer sevices face to face
6%
care sector
4%
teacher or other professional (please state)
12%
full time student
19%
model, muse, rock star or celebrity :D
4%
full time parent
6%
unemployed
14%

Total votes: 213

EbonNoire

goth and hair friendly jobs

Post by EbonNoire » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:51 am

i wanted to know what kind of jobs would you recommend that wouldnt care about hair colors? ive worked at a grocery store for two years and i cant just leave without a back up job. the managers and customers are really picky about hair colors,make-up, and jewelery can anyone help? :i3: :i3:
Last edited by EbonNoire on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
My direct site is: WWW.myspace.com/ebonnoire

IKickShins

Re: goth and hair friendly jobs

Post by IKickShins » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:10 am

EbonNoire wrote:i wanted to know what kind of jobs would you recommend that would care about hair colors? ive worked at a grocery store for two years and i cant just leave without a back up job. the managers and customers are really picky about hair colors,make-up, and jewelery can anyone help? :i3: :i3:
I'm going to go ahead and merge this with the existing thread.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Icky-nay

Re: What job do you do that is hair friendly?

Post by Icky-nay » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:42 pm

I have two jobs, I work for a sex toy distributor (we wholesale toys to sex shops across Canada). Most of our gear is fetish stuff and my mom happens to be my boss, so I'm allowed to have dreads so long as we're not doing trade shows (which is only 10 weekends out of the year).
My second job I work in a kitchen and they don't care so long as I can fit a hairnet over all of it.

To answer the above question, kitchens that require little to no formal training often don't mind crazy hair and peircings, within a limit. If the kitchen is open (you can see it from the restaurant), there's no way, but I know at my work there's a 'no peircings or intense hair or visible tattoos' national policy and they don't mind, as long as you work in the kitchen. Think 'Bob's Rib Barn' or some other middle-class sitdown joint. My OH works at a fancy place and has the smallest tattoo on the outside of his forearm and they make him wear vetwrap over it.

bstout

Post by bstout » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:34 pm

I work in a call center, I'm a reservationist that books for campgrounds around the US.

I consider myself extremely lucky because I am able to do anything I want with my hair, and piercings aren't a problem either. At the moment I have 11 visible facial/earlobe piercings, and my hair is black and tends to look rather Robert Smith-ish. Sometimes I can't even wear a headset because my hair is so big, so I have to use the receiver on the phone instead!

I think the reason my boss is so cool about my looks is because I have worked here for 3+ years and have proved to her that I am a very responsible, mature person and a very hard worker. More than once she has told me that I am the best reservationist we have :D

I actually had one of the "higher up" people come into the office today and say, "You have hair! I liked it better when you were bald!"

EbonNoire

Post by EbonNoire » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:05 am

I wish I was that lucky! ive been at my job for two years and they still bitch at me every chance they get. and the customers are no better. ive gotten yelled at for having blond hair once! becuase they told me it wasnt natural. but they said that becuase its not natural for a black person to have blond hair even though the employee handbook says:"No extreme hairstyles/colors" nothing about a black person cant have blond hair.
My direct site is: WWW.myspace.com/ebonnoire

bstout

Post by bstout » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Yep - another cool thing is that my job is really lax during the winter. During the summer we're inundated with calls 24/7, but during the winter we sometimes average 1 call every half hour. And we always have to have at least 2 people on staff. One night it was so slow that I actually installed my dreads between phone calls :lol:

But my boss wasn't around to see that!

SilverSmear

Post by SilverSmear » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Barista!
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." Lewis Carroll

pinky

Post by pinky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 pm

i work in a group home for the developmentally disabled. there is no requirements for hair or anything but you have to be careful with dangling jewelry because these people WILL grab them. as far as dreads as long as you don't scare the residents it really doesn't matter. most of the ladies in my house think its fun and like to play with them.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm a grad student and teacher at my Uni. I'm under contract to teach, so once a semester starts and I'm teaching for a few weeks, I don't think they'd take away my class if I showed up with dreads.

But, I'm relying on these people to give me good recommendations for PhD applications. So I can't piss them off for the sake of it. PhD applications should be done by January though.

This coming March I'll be turning my Thesis in for graduation, taking comp exams, and defending my thesis--when all that is done it should be my birthday! So I might have to go talk to my ultimate superior (Chair of the English Department) about having fun hair end of March through end of semester.

At graduation I totally plan to at least have blue/silver/white massive platforms in honor of my University--maybe even blue/silver/white dreadsies! It's my celebration and they can't effing stop me! HAHAHAHA! I'm on the look out for white platform boots.

Anyways, sometimes I honestly feel like crying for not being able to express myself physically--I feel all squished up inside this cage of body and life. I always look neat and clean (except when I"m painting/cleaning/doing manual labor), so what's the problem? Sorry--I'm getting all gooey emotional :(

apatico

Post by apatico » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:14 am

I work in a gothic/punk/alt clothing shop in Seattle. Dressing as "cool" as possible is not only encouraged, it's pretty much a requirement. I work independently as a fashion designer as my other "job" which means I wear my pajamas and my hair can be as ratty as I want... until the day of the show ;)

Frangipane

Post by Frangipane » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:22 pm

Social Services for me - never had a problem with my appearance - the only change I made is I stopped wearing Swear trucks on the days that I do home visits. Some of the older people I see are very tiny and I am like a huge pierced pink haired shrek invading their home - I am not exactly fairy lightfoot in build if you know what I mean ;-)
My mad hair is my trademark - I'm 31 and have dyed my hair since 13 and went neon at 15 and I have never been natural since. All jobs I have done since leaving school have been tolerant of my hair but the least accepting was Waitrose but I didn't care as it was just to bridge a gap. Also I have had facial piercings for 15 years too, I have looked like this for so long I hardly even consider it when thinking about interviews etc. I have never been turned down for any job I applied for, I think most places are accepting of non standard appearance now!

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Self-emplyed running Diversity Hair website and shop, mobile hairdressing, trainer for Prostyles Ltd

Can in theory, have whatever hair i like, but i tend to keep it normal at the moment, as i go to an old peoples home once a week to do shampoo and sets and perms and stuff, and dont want to scare/get questions about it the whole time.

At the moment, im hoping the online shop and stalls ill be doing will mean i can concentrate on the stuff i love more and get my identity back.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:07 pm

diversityhair wrote: Can in theory, have whatever hair i like, but i tend to keep it normal at the moment, as i go to an old peoples home once a week to do shampoo and sets and perms and stuff, and dont want to scare/get questions about it the whole time.
Little old ladies LOVE my hair when it is different colours so don't worry about that! Most of them say "If I was your age..."

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Little old ladies LOVE my hair when it is different colours so don't worry about that! Most of them say "If I was your age..."
Yes, the ones i used to do at the local salon that now come to the house on a wednesday do, but the ones at the home are either very ill and sedated or completely nutty :( Its quite sad, but they dont recognise me from week to week anyways and slight changes scare them, as they want the same person doing their hair each week. Its also a convent, and whilst im not religious, i have to respect their wishes for a toned down look. Still, its not forever.
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:32 pm

diversityhair wrote:
Yes, the ones i used to do at the local salon that now come to the house on a wednesday do, but the ones at the home are either very ill and sedated or completely nutty :( Its quite sad, but they dont recognise me from week to week anyways and slight changes scare them, as they want the same person doing their hair each week. Its also a convent, and whilst im not religious, i have to respect their wishes for a toned down look. Still, its not forever.
Ah, I get it! Yeah, I think the only reason the people recognise me is cuz my hair, but ill people do get freaked out. At the end of the day though it is money. I remember Kaned_Ferret said something that stuck with me on the old board which was something along the lines of piercings and crazy hair not making you who you are, they are just an extension of you (or something or other!). You're the same person with or without it! So now I don't mind so much not having crazy hair, and at the end of the day, the fact you have the job is enough to tone things down.

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Lorny:

Ah, I get it! Yeah, I think the only reason the people recognise me is cuz my hair, but ill people do get freaked out. At the end of the day though it is money. I remember Kaned_Ferret said something that stuck with me on the old board which was something along the lines of piercings and crazy hair not making you who you are, they are just an extension of you (or something or other!). You're the same person with or without it! So now I don't mind so much not having crazy hair, and at the end of the day, the fact you have the job is enough to tone things down.
Exactly, i just have the itch now, its been years since i had dreads now (dont necessarily want those back, but something would be nice). Still, new and exciting things on the horizon, so maybe soon! :)

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm a full time A-level student and a Chef part time.. Worst job option for dreads and piercings.. no tollerence for those :(

foximusprime

Post by foximusprime » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:34 am

I've recently started as a christmas temp at my local argos store and have been itching to install my dreads again so i spoke to the manager about it and she said as long as they weren't dirty, hanging loose or very bright mad colours then i could wear them.
*bounces* so this is my plan for tonight, installing my blonde, silver and lilac dreads :i2: :i2:
blah blah blah

kurokawaii

Post by kurokawaii » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:41 am

Scenes of crime officer/ masters student, never had a problem with my face holes or stupidly coloured hair, although I did discover that a brand of lime green I had in once is the exact shade of bile... gone off lime green now :(
Ich bin ein Nerd!

Taraiha

Post by Taraiha » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 pm

You really needed self employed on the list. I'm an artist/iullustrator and work from home. Outrageous hair and pyjamas ftw!
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offense. But we could take the safety labels off everything and let nature run its course.

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:53 pm

I'm now working as a street fundraiser/campaigner on behalf of Cancer Research UK and my employers don't give a monkey's what I do with regards to my appearance, as long as it isn't offensive. In fact, the quirkier the better :D
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

cloudface

Post by cloudface » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm

hello all,
this is a constant worry for me.. im a mental nurse and some managers thnk im very unprofessional and really look down on me just because of my dreads saying things like "you dont wash your hair" and also presuming I smoke cannabis! I really dont think such narrow minded people should be working in this area if im perfectly honest.

however the ward i work on at the moment is great we dont have to wear a uniform and personally i think my look really helps knock down the you / them barriers asociated with being in a pschiatric hospital.
Emma x

Cinnamon

Post by Cinnamon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Im a barmaid and Im pretty sure my hair is not to company regulation! One of the other girls dyed her hair a really lovely blood red the other day and was told to change it back to natural, then I rocked up with a full neon install and when she questioned the fairness of that my boss said that my hair isnt as noticeable apparently?! It is unfair and I probably should have to change mine, but when they hired me I had pink dreads, so Im not sure if they can go back on that? Anyway all the customers love it so I dont see why it should be a problem :D
Id rather be looked over, than overlooked.

mrsg09

Post by mrsg09 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:51 pm

MissChelsea wrote:I'm working in HMV at the moment. When I started I had just blonde dread extensions, and always tied them back, but over the years my hair has got bigger and a lot more colourful. I've always had blonde as a base, but am planning on going completley red in the next week or so, and haven't told my manager, but I think he'll be OK with it. If not, then it was a nice experiment :P My only gripe with working there is that he doesn't allow me to wear any facial piercings, but tattoo's on show are fine :)

every hmv must be different then ,cause up in newcastle (where im from ) ive seen loadsa people who are workin there with facial peircings !!!!
bubbles bubbles everywhere but not a drop to drink !!!

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:30 pm

I don't have a job, I live on an island and there aren't any available jobs but thankfully we will be moving to a bigger town where I can find a job hopefully, or go back to school.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”