Work-safe dread styles anyone?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
***stephanie***

Work-safe dread styles anyone?

Post by ***stephanie*** » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi there...Im *finally* getting my black w/gunmetal accent dreads installed (as I'm between contracts at the moment). :i2:

However, I've been called in to work for a couple of days next week, after I get them installed. I don't know whether to move the appointment (and I really don't want to!), or find a cunning way to tie them up and back, maybe using a headband/scarf to make them as unobtrusive as possible! It's not that they aren't 'allowed', but I'm a little concerned at the reaction I will get.

(I work in a 'creative' industry, but it is advertising, so quirky is okay as long as it's 'fashionable', i.e. whatever the kids are wearing in Hoxton ;P ...they aren't really exposed to "alt.culture" apart from the odd NIN tee)

So if anyone has any suggestions, or better still, photos - that would be fantastic.
I knew it was only a matter of time, a matter of wine, this project of mine...

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Re: Work-safe dread styles anyone?

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:08 pm

i would just go in as is and don't change the appointment. the colours aren't exactly in your face so i don't see why they would be a problem. i would maybe tie them back if you're self concious and when i first started wearing dreads to work, i brought a thick head band in with me so if something was said, i could cover them a bit more. i've recently just changed jobs and haven't worn dreads into my new place yet but i'll be keeping the colours subdued and keeping them tied back in a simple pony tail or bun so they look tidy and sleeker, instead of weekend styling that i use to make them look as big as possible ha ha.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:30 pm

A nice up-do can always change dreads from alternative to corporate class ;)
Since you've chosen such a neat colour combo that won't clash, I reckon take a few dreads from the front, tie them back, make a bun and stick a few chopsticks in the buns.

There are far more alternative things than NIN, but for one, I am a sucker :P

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 pm

i wear dreads to work....all the time. i too was concerned about the reaction i'd get wandering into work with dreads, bit no one has said anything untoward. my boss actually told em i looked "sleek" the other day (i tied them back lower than normal)

a few pics:

All above pics taken whilst i was at work :)

these were the first ones i wore to work:

as you can see they've got brighter :D ooh, & apologies that on some pics the dreads aren't really clear

(i'm a trainer at a call centre - gots to be looking "professional")
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm

yea, pulled back into a low bun, tied in knots is really quite lovely looking IMO, and if the colors are neutral it should not be a huge problem

like something like this, but without all the stray bits i've got flying around.

not sure if you have shaved bits, but if that's a problem pulling them low lets you kind of hide the shaved bits (not that i bothered here...i wasn't working corporate!)
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

***stephanie***

Post by ***stephanie*** » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions ladies :)

I have a whole day to experiment once they're in, I'm sure I'll come up with something! The dreads are quite sturdy and poufy, I may have to sleep in a beanie hat the first night, hehe... :i2:
I knew it was only a matter of time, a matter of wine, this project of mine...

guest123

Post by guest123 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:40 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:26 pm

I achieved this style with falls, but you may be able to do something similar with an install

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”