How long does it take you?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
zombie

How long does it take you?

Post by zombie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post...This new forum is sooo complicated :oops:

Either way...How long does it take you to make yourself a set of dreads?
I've been 'trying' to make myself some new ones for a week and I only have 3 unsealed SE dreads :lol:
Slaughter is the best medicine.

LittlePinkFaery

Re: How long does it take you?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:17 pm

it is the right place! about 15 mins a dread- hence I don't sell them! I have never persevered enough to get good!

downinahole

Post by downinahole » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 pm

My dreads are quite short, half the pack of hair, so they don't take too long. I'ld say 5 mins to backcomb a SE and about 7-10 mins for a DE. I'm new to making dreads thou, so i'm prob not doing it right :lol:. The BF seals them for me, hes loads better at it then me :P

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Last set I made took me around 10 hours to make, and there were only 50 DED's there!

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Right now it takes me weeks because i work in my free time on night/weekends only and that time is limited. Also, I'm just slow :lol: I watch movies while I backcomb and get disctracted pretty easily.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

moROSE69

Post by moROSE69 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Yea I get distracted pretty easily too. I used to make dreads one at a time but I'm finding if do a bunch of backcombed pieces and seal them at the same time they are usually more uniform and I'm more likely keep working longer since I don't have anything finished to show for my work. I usually watch tv too or listen to music or watch a movie when I'm backcombing... makes it less boring.

I can't offer an estimated time cause I have a bad shoulder from an old injury so sometimes I can work fast and some sometimes slow or not at all. Usually I complete them in my free time over the course of 3-7 days. You'll start slow... I remember the first real dread I made with good backcombing and a triple seal and all that took an hour and a half... for ONE dread... lol.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:42 pm

I make mine in batches of 30 dreads. It takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours per batch.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Good lord then I don't know what I'm doing wrong... It just took me an hour to backcomb 2 DE's, lol! They're pretty fat but still...
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

medusa

Post by medusa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:05 pm

It takes me forever and a day. Partially because I'm so busy with my career, and partially because I get crabby after an hour of dreading, since my back and fingers start to hurt. I have trouble staying committed to the project, especially if it's for my own use. I stay focused much better if I'm making it for a customer or a friend. :)

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 am

Depends how thick i want them but usually take about 15mins on one! if im backcombing to the max! If not about 10mins :D

Normally if im making big fattys they take 15mins cos i backcombe them extencively! The set im waring at the moment took me 3 weeks to make cos i only did a few a night!
Last edited by ~*Zombie Candycane~* on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Zombie <^/._.\^> Kitty**

http://twitter.com/JayJayCuppycake

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:35 am

I can either get 10 DE's or 16 SE's out of one packet of hair, and it takes me about an hour to backcomb and seal one packets worth of hair.
I once started making a new set of dreads at 9am, backcombed them, sealed them and installed them by 9pm, lol, most used set of dreads I've ever made they are!
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

davendor

Post by davendor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:32 pm

I've only just started on the first dread kit for myself, and I'm only doing it when I'm in the mood for it - May finish it by the end of the year! :lol: It's not something important as I'm going to have natural coloured braids in the end of next month.

When I'm making them for other people, I usually spend a week making them. I watch films and stuff while doing them too :D I take about 5-10mins to backcomb one DE. About 5-7mins for an SE. I also have to take breaks because of my back :(

deadteddys

Post by deadteddys » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:28 pm

I know ive thought about this question before but everytime I ask myself I really dont know! I can sit down and make quite a few dreads in one sitting.
Like I made 60 DE's, full packet length in two evenings, thats backcombing and sealing. My fingers did hurt afterwards tho XD And I only seal them once, doing two passes over the hair. I probably should seal more :P

ClaireCalavera

Post by ClaireCalavera » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:37 pm

If I work pretty much non stop it takes me a day, but I don't usually do that because I get bored/achey/distracted/irritable. I usually spread the work out over 3 days or so, but if I'm working full time/studying hard then it can take anything up to 2 weeks :)
"Make any joke you want, you know I look good" - Stewie Griffin

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:20 pm

I have been tracking my progress this week on a kit I'm making, and it took me four hours to back come 10 DE transitionals and 5 DE solids, and steam 8 of them.

Sometimes I go much slower if I keep getting interrupted. Some nights no one bothers me, and others....the phone rings off the hook, my dogs beg to be taken out, dinner needs a constant eye while cooking. Its frustrating!

kezerb

Post by kezerb » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:18 am

Depending on how many dreads I have to do, an order can take anything for 2-6 weeks.

Kits for myself, which usually consist of 24 DE's cos I have an undercut, can take month sometimes a year and a bit :P

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”