Your first dread install/crazy hair change?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Jellykins

Your first dread install/crazy hair change?

Post by Jellykins » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm

I appologise if this isn't in the right place, I'm a newbie. xD

Anyways, I'll be getting my first dreads ever in the mail sometime soon; a simple set of brown (that matches my hair) transitioning into platinum blonde. For me, this is a huge deal. I've never cut my hair, (other than trimming it) let alone dyeing it.

So my question is, what were people's reactions to the change? Especially if you were/are in high school, as I am now. :)

MrsEss

Re: Your first dread install/crazy hair change?

Post by MrsEss » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Welcome to the board!

I got my undercut when I was about 13, my hair was chin length. A few girls at school muttered amongst themselves that it wasn't a "real" undercut as it only went as high as my ears (that changed about a month later though) I showed my form teacher & she told me to not show too many people & not tie my hair back at school as people wouldn't approve of it.

That was 16 years ago. I still have my undercut and atm it's the highest it's ever been.

Be yourself & don't worry about what others think.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Jellykins

Post by Jellykins » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks! ^-^

And I'm not one to care too much about how others view me. xD I'm just a bit nervous with making such a big change (for me) so hearing other people's stories makes me feel a tad better. :)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Good, good. Er, you get used to them! To start off with looking in the mirror is like looking at someone else, but then when you finally take the dreads out you look weird without them. It's a bit mad, but it happens to us all!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Skybluepinky14

Post by Skybluepinky14 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:58 pm

I've never dyed my hair either, and I've only had dreads in once. I loved it! It was odd to see myself in the mirror for a while, but like DSM said, you get used to it.

Not many people around where I live have dreads, let alone synthetics, so I was expecting way more attention than I actually got. Mostly I got confused looks from the older crowd, people around 40-50 and my grandma didn't particularly like them. xD But most of my feedback was either positive or neutral. I had a few friends who prefer my natural hair, but that's the best part! Synthetics are removable and do not affect the quality of your hair at all! So while I had to reassure some people that the hairstyle was temporary, I didn't have any rudely negative comments.

It will take some time for people to get used to your change in hairstyle, but give them time. At some point they wont even notice it anymore. :3

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:33 am

I change mine all the time! Dreads, extensions, wigs, color. People get use to it pretty fast, and if you are changing it often, they hardly notice :)

callitkarma

Post by callitkarma » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:13 pm

I had my first (and only, hah) set of dreads when I was 16. I got loads of different reactions, from 'what the heck is that on your head?' to 'FLUFFY!!!11' haha. I got a lot of funny looks though, but very few actually came up to me and commented on it. They were blonde and pink, btw, so nothing toooo crazy or colourful. I had baby pink hair as well when I was around that age and all my teachers loved it! :)
(I'm 20 now so it wasn't too long ago)

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”