Home remedies...anyone?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
LittlePinkFaery

Home remedies...anyone?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

...for dandruff? I have delveloped a little dandruff around the side of my head and top of head, mainly around hairline. I am sure this is due to me dying my hair

Usually if this happened I would buy head and shoulders and it would be gone in a few washes- BUT I do not want to fade my hair colour at all.

I have read several remedies but I don't know if these would be equally abrasive towards dyed hair.

So I though I would ask here- anything I can do that won't ruin my dyed hair? I did think about getting some olive oil and rubbing it in and wrapping a hot towel around my head?

MrsEss

Re: Home remedies...anyone?

Post by MrsEss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Snake peel or whatever it's called from Lush! smells a bit funky but it works.

I'm aware this isn't a home remedy, but it's the best thing I found.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 pm

worth a look next time I am in town- I assume, seeing as it is you, you know this won't fade hait colour :)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Hahha, no. You rub it on your scalp & then wash your hair with whatever shampoo you normally use. I had awful dandruff when I was pregnant & that shifted it. :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Most "dandruff" is actually just dry scalp, which it sounds like this is if you think the culprit is excessive coloring. :P Anything that will moisturize your skin and hair without fading color will help a lot, including color safe conditioners. There are a lot of conditioning foodstuffs that are great for the scalp, (avacado, olive oil, mayonnaise,coconut oil) but I'm not sure how the ph would affect color. I'm sure google would be of a little help!

Another thing that will help hugely is slightly cooler water when rinsing.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:40 pm

Sometimes I have issues with dry scalp in the summer time. I rub aloe vera on my scalp and it helps tremendously. You have to be careful if you buy aloe in a store as alot of them have alcohol. It's best to use it fresh from an aloe plant.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:30 am

It really depends what your "dandruff" is caused by. Contrary to popular belief, most dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis, which is actually over production of the oil glands- meaning flaking caused by hair/skin that's TOO oily. In which case just washing your hair more often may help (but this of course will help fade color that washes out).

If it is dryness I'd suggest coconut oil. It's really good for your hair/skin in general and in my experience hasn't faded my dye any. But you only really need to put it on your scalp, anyway.

essentialoils

Post by essentialoils » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:26 am

It’s best to invest in using anti-dandruff shampoos. Keep your eye on the ingredients when you’re making your purchase; zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide and salicylic acid are surefire ingredients to keep the dandruff at bay.

When dandruff is very heavy, shampoo twice to make sure that you get squeaky clean (and flake free) results. Also, because the scalp is part of our skin and can eventually grow immune to these types of ingredients (i.e. salicylic acid which is used in many skin care products for treating acne) you may find that it is best to switch up in brands and key ingredients every few weeks to keep your scalp guessing at what’s going to come next.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:43 am

thank you, essentialoils, but the point is I don't want to use them as they strip colour out of dyed hair- being dyed red is bad enough as it is without helping the process along!

for information, I used olive oil and rubbed it in and left for a few hours- it seemed to do the trick in one application- though it has not gone comepletely, I will need to repeat this maybe every two weeks to help the condition of my scalp.

I will certainly be trying some of the other things suggested as well :)

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:06 am

Did my last post get deleted because it was a link?

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

I didn't delete it? Don't know- sorry!

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:31 am

littlepinkfaery wrote:I didn't delete it? Don't know- sorry!
Doh! I'm an idiot. I posted it in another thread very similar to this one. It wasn't deleted, I'm just sleep-deprived. Sorry :oops:

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”