I think I'm losing my mind

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
starlotus

I think I'm losing my mind

Post by starlotus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:02 am

So yeah - I lost my living situation and am couch-surfing at the moment, which sucks in and of itself, but what's really driving me crazy is that A. I can't make dreads and B. I can't get on the 'net that much so I haven't been able to hang out here much at all either. Damn, I never realized just how much of my day was spent making dreads and looking at pictures of you lovely, dready ladies on here. I'm terribly bored and I'M GOING FREAKING MAD. My hands are just itching to backcomb. *cries* I probably won't be back here for a while after this post, but send good vibes my way so I find an apartment soon before I go postal from lack of dreadiness....

Librarynerd

Re: I think I'm losing my mind

Post by Librarynerd » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:55 am

Losing your living situation is incredibly stressful. It comes right after death in the family and divorce on the stressor scale. Stress causes major physical and mental distress, it screw's up your hormone level's and neurotransmitters and plays havoc with your body. I ended up moving back with my parents at 23 after living independently since 16, this coincided with a breakup, and a job loss. Even though my parents were supportive I became very depressed and anxious. I had to really kick my own ass to get out there and find something to do. Finding a job was impossible, so I started working as a volunteer at a food bank. It really helped my self esteem to feel useful and help others, and it kept me busy.
I know how you're feeling and how hard it is to have your world turned upside down. Having an art that we are skilled at is meaningfil to everyones self worth, and you are a hell of a good dread maker. The set I got from you is just gorgeous.
You might try learning a new craft that is more portable. I find knitting to be very relaxing, almost meditative, and you can do it anywhere. You also might checkout your local library for internet access or just to hangout. I work in a library and we love our regular's and get to know them and become friends.

Hang in there honey:)
Jean
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 am

Librarynerd wrote:Losing your living situation is incredibly stressful. It comes right after death in the family and divorce on the stressor scale. Stress causes major physical and mental distress, it screw's up your hormone level's and neurotransmitters and plays havoc with your body. I ended up moving back with my parents at 23 after living independently since 16, this coincided with a breakup, and a job loss. Even though my parents were supportive I became very depressed and anxious. I had to really kick my own ass to get out there and find something to do. Finding a job was impossible, so I started working as a volunteer at a food bank. It really helped my self esteem to feel useful and help others, and it kept me busy.
I know how you're feeling and how hard it is to have your world turned upside down. Having an art that we are skilled at is meaningfil to everyones self worth, and you are a hell of a good dread maker. The set I got from you is just gorgeous.
You might try learning a new craft that is more portable. I find knitting to be very relaxing, almost meditative, and you can do it anywhere. You also might checkout your local library for internet access or just to hangout. I work in a library and we love our regular's and get to know them and become friends.

Hang in there honey:)
Jean
Aw, thanks for the reply :) I just think it's weird that I never realized how integral making dreads was to enjoying my day-to-day life until I couldn't do it anymore. I'm hoping to be moved into a place and getting things going again soon! On the upside, I'm getting a ton of reading done (I used to be an avid reader but since I started taking on so many dread orders most of my time was taken up with that) and I think even after I move I'm going to keep closed for customs for a while so I can make some "fun" sets that I've had rattling around my brain for a while and try out some new techniques. I might even get to *gasp* make myself a set without rushing through it! Things are a bit dismal atm aside from the dread issue because I'm 30, jobless, recently lost 2 close friends, and am living on my brother's couch. On the upside, I have awesome friends/family that are sticking by me through all of this and even helping me take care of my pets (where I live right now it's me, my brother, his wife, 4 cats, a rabbit, a cockatiel, and a dog; what a zoo!!!!) and I recently started dating an absolutely amazing man after being single for a year. It's just hard having so much idle time in my day and not being able to make my hairy art - I've actually had dreams about making dreads! Hahaha, hopefully I won't forget how to make them or any nonsense like that!

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 am

Awww that's so hard to deal with!! Thankfully you're on your brother's couch instead of someone a little further from comfortable. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you in no time at all, creative people are always great like that once they set their minds to it!!

Also I can totally relate to this:
starlotus wrote:and I think even after I move I'm going to keep closed for customs for a while so I can make some "fun" sets that I've had rattling around my brain for a while and try out some new techniques. I might even get to *gasp* make myself a set without rushing through it!

Best of luck love, let us know when you're back in the game!!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”