Do NOT use Beyond the Zone dye

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Gromidez

Do NOT use Beyond the Zone dye

Post by Gromidez » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 am

It's been a while since I've dyed my hair. When I was younger my entire head was purple, rainbow, streaked, you name it. When I was 15 I shaved my head and haven't dyed my hair since until last year. But even then it was only black which is only a couple shades darker than my natural colour.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I decided to cave into my nagging desire to dye the under part of my hair purple (my fave colour). I went to Sally Beauty and chose a dark dark purple (I wanted it to be a dark purple that required a bit of a double take to differentiate from the black). The brand was Beyond the Zone Pro Formula. I purchased a bleaching kit, all the necessary dying accessories and went on my way.

I had a friend help as it was at the back of my head. We followed all directions as stated on the boxes. Bleached my hair to a light enough colour to take the purple and waited a day. I used a protein formula that's supposed to help repair hair and take colour more evenly, and applied the purple. I washed it out, conditioned as it says to and excitedly towel-dried and waited to see the results. My hair was mostly an ugly crap brown with some purple strewn in. I almost cried.

The next day I did a little research, and went back to Sally's. This time I tried a higher level bleach (40, the previous kit was 30) AND a toner to combat any issues the "orange" tint may have had. Convinced it must have been my own fault, I bought more of the same purple since it was still the colour I wanted above the rest. Rebleached my hair, applying heat and using foil this time. Toned it 'til it was just flat blonde. Used the protein stuff again. Reapplied the purple, using foil and heat as well. Washed after the appropriate amount of time, blew dry it and....

Blue/blue-green/green hair. With little sections of purple. This time I DID cry.

I'd convinced myself that the first day I must not have bleached my hair enough so that's why my hair turned brown, but the fact that my hair WAS taking crazy colours the second night just makes me believe the problem is the dye and not me. A couple of days later I washed my hair as normal and it was all light green. The "semi-permanent" dye didn't even keep it's colour ONE WASH. KOOL-AID lasts longer!

It's since washed out to an iridescent sea-foam green to sickly yellow-green. Tonight I decided to use the last of the dye for one last experiment (and because I'm cheap and hate to waste). This time, I won't wash it out til the water runs clear, since that seemed to wash out the color. Maybe THEN I'll at least get a couple days of purple.

The water didn't even run SEMI clear and I could already see that my hair is light blue.

I'm still not sure how a purple dye fades to green, but I could deal with that a little better if my hair was EVER purple! The only time, using this dye, that my hair was even remotely purple was when the dye was in it. So it seems that this dye is little better than that fake hair spray. Maybe even worse, since you at least expect crappy results from the spray.

I'm so upset I want to lead a crusade against the makers of this dye and put them out of business. Pro formula my foot.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Anyone know of a GOOD hair dye which will make my hair purple and fade to "normal" colours like pink when it washes out?

dread_addiction

Re: Do NOT use Beyond the Zone dye

Post by dread_addiction » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 am

manic panic, SXF, directions dyes..
you can alwasy go to hot topic and get that dark purple from Raw... works better than what you are describing.

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 am

Might just be a bad bottle as I've had some luck with Beyond the Zone including the dark purple.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:19 am

Beyond the Zone pink is total sh*t. It NEVER lasts more than 3 shampoos in my hair.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:51 am

Most Sally's the in US sell Manic Panic right next to Beyond the Zone. I've had great luck with their colors, though they do fade pretty quickly.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:34 am

CherryLex wrote:Might just be a bad bottle as I've had some luck with Beyond the Zone including the dark purple.
Two different bottles bought on different days.

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:34 pm

Color Fiend purples work well for my OH. You can get them at Hot Topic. Manic Panic takes really well at first but only lasts for a month to month and a half. Beware of N'Rage as it bleeds worse than any other brand I've played with.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:46 pm

brandalynn wrote: Beware of N'Rage as it bleeds worse than any other brand I've played with.
Agreed!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Gromidez wrote:
CherryLex wrote:Might just be a bad bottle as I've had some luck with Beyond the Zone including the dark purple.
Two different bottles bought on different days.
They're done in batches so the whole box would be rubbish. It also depends on the hair condition/colour too. I probably would steer clear from brands what aren't worshipped within the hair world anyway. :lol:

abby_carnage

Post by abby_carnage » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I love directions violet! super nice purple colour. But if you are US based go for manic panic, or SFX. I would use those if they didnt wack up the price with shipping fees. x

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 pm

abby_carnage wrote:I love directions violet! super nice purple colour. But if you are US based go for manic panic, or SFX. I would use those if they didnt wack up the price with shipping fees. x

Manic panic and SFX seemed to be the only two options when I was younger and dying my hair regularly. But I remember one of them faded SUPER fast, but couldn't remember which one. Which is why I opted for Beyond the Zone when the other option was Manic Panic. :lol:
I bought myself some Manic Panic, and If i'm unhappy with that I'll try some of the other stuff. But balls to BtZ!

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 am

For me Directions is definitely best (in any colour), followed by SFX, and tied for last is Manic Panic and Fudge which are equally awful. Some people swear by Manic Panic though. I've never heard anyone who had something nice to say about Fudge...
More human than human

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:18 pm

tazzyface wrote:For me Directions is definitely best (in any colour), followed by SFX, and tied for last is Manic Panic and Fudge which are equally awful. Some people swear by Manic Panic though. I've never heard anyone who had something nice to say about Fudge...
Looks like directions only sells in the UK and like...2 places in the US. I'll try the Manic Panic again, and if I ever have the money to buy something else from this one site, I'll try Directions. Cuz right now I can't really justify $10 for the dye plus $9 for the shipping of it :lol:

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 am

Gromidez wrote:
tazzyface wrote:For me Directions is definitely best (in any colour), followed by SFX, and tied for last is Manic Panic and Fudge which are equally awful. Some people swear by Manic Panic though. I've never heard anyone who had something nice to say about Fudge...
Looks like directions only sells in the UK and like...2 places in the US. I'll try the Manic Panic again, and if I ever have the money to buy something else from this one site, I'll try Directions. Cuz right now I can't really justify $10 for the dye plus $9 for the shipping of it :lol:
That is the default price for Australia.
Our dollar is currently worth more than the US dollar, but everything is STILL twice as expensive as the US.

EDIT: Just as I posted this, I heard the news blaring on the tv in the other room... Our dollar has dropped in value. LOL >_<

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:
Gromidez wrote:
That is the default price for Australia.
Our dollar is currently worth more than the US dollar, but everything is STILL twice as expensive as the US.

EDIT: Just as I posted this, I heard the news blaring on the tv in the other room... Our dollar has dropped in value. LOL >_<
It's ok. The same site has these delicious shoes that I will justify buying by making a Mrs. Kreuger costume :P

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:15 pm

I tried Beyond the Zone 'Tripped-out Turquoise' and 'Party-time Pink' and both were utter crap. No colour stuck whatsoever. I would avoid at all costs.

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 am

cherrygloom wrote:I tried Beyond the Zone 'Tripped-out Turquoise' and 'Party-time Pink' and both were utter crap. No colour stuck whatsoever. I would avoid at all costs.

From my experience, in order to get the tripped out turquoise colour, you need to use the deep purple dye. Just saying...

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Gromidez wrote:
cherrygloom wrote:I tried Beyond the Zone 'Tripped-out Turquoise' and 'Party-time Pink' and both were utter crap. No colour stuck whatsoever. I would avoid at all costs.

From my experience, in order to get the tripped out turquoise colour, you need to use the deep purple dye. Just saying...
Surely you shouldn't have to though? If the dye was any good at all you wouldn't have to mix it with other colours to make it work. I doubt that would have worked for me anyway, it was literally like using a conditioner that happened to be coloured turquoise.

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:57 pm

cherrygloom wrote:
Gromidez wrote:

Surely you shouldn't have to though? If the dye was any good at all you wouldn't have to mix it with other colours to make it work. I doubt that would have worked for me anyway, it was literally like using a conditioner that happened to be coloured turquoise.
I was being sarcastic. My post is about how I used purple and my hair has been green/turquoise. My bf and I were back at Sally's to get a different dye and saw the advertisement for BtZ dye and the colour they showed was the turquoise and we both laughingly said that it should say in small letters "to achieve this color, use Deep Purple".

It's a rubbish dye, period. If it had nuts, I'd kick it in them.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:49 pm

^ROFLMAO

Brilliant line!

One time... I used Fudge Purple Haze... And I ended up with rainbow hair... Not kidding...

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Gromidez wrote: I was being sarcastic. My post is about how I used purple and my hair has been green/turquoise. My bf and I were back at Sally's to get a different dye and saw the advertisement for BtZ dye and the colour they showed was the turquoise and we both laughingly said that it should say in small letters "to achieve this color, use Deep Purple".

It's a rubbish dye, period. If it had nuts, I'd kick it in them.
:lol: I forgot about that in the original story!

hellcity

Post by hellcity » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:36 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:^ROFLMAO

Brilliant line!

One time... I used Fudge Purple Haze... And I ended up with rainbow hair... Not kidding...
Ahhhh Fudge. You know, this was a great many years ago admittedly, but I used just about all their colours (with a heavy emphasis on red & pink) and they were awesome. Maybe they changed their formula by the time you young 'uns started using 'em? I never found them any worse than Directions. I pretty much had to re-colour my hair every few days to avoid the fade. This is why my hair is now black. :lol:
I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in. - Homer Simpson

blog + violet.crime design facebook + personal facebook

beccah

Post by beccah » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 pm

I used beyond the zone purple on my WHITE hair (as in no yellow,pure white) and left it for an hour. Washed it off,it had gone the teeniest bit silver but not purple. Just,what?!

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:26 am

Used Manic Panic and lo and behold my hair is PURPLE now! Huzzah!

Perhaps the makers of Manic Panic should teach Beyond the Zone colors? They know what purple is, BtZ clearly does NOT.

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:04 pm

i feel like you can just tell BtZ isnt gonna work when it comes out of the bottle. it had a weird watery seethrouish consitency and you just think "there is no way this is gonna work" lol.
i actually do like manic panic above all the other colors mentioned if im in a pinch, but my heart stays loyal to pravana and joico.
actually, last time i colored my hair a purple shade, i wanted it that deep inky purple blue, and i mixed joico blue with n rage color, and got exactly that, and it lasted forever. i normally wouldnt touch n rage, but that expieriment worked out wonderfully.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”