Sellers: how long will you wait around for payment???

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
starlotus

Sellers: how long will you wait around for payment???

Post by starlotus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Ok, brief backstory: a friend of mine wanted a pair of falls some time ago and I quoted her a "friend" price for doing them, talked about colors/styles, blah blah blah....I told her that I needed the cost of materials paid up-front. She said she would pay the whole cost up front instead because that was easier for her to do than splitting it up, and said she would drop by my house to give me cash because she preferred that to Paypal and we made plans for her to come by the next day. I trusted her, and was putting a rather hefty IKS supply order in that day and wanted to save on shipping, so I ordered all the KK I'd need for her falls, as well as the other stuff I was purchasing anyway. She never showed up the next day. She called, apologized profusely, and said that she would be able to come by the next week when she had a day off of work. So anyway, to make a long story short, this has been going on for a while now, I've made her falls (some splashed dreads in blue/green/yellow/black which are quite nice if I do say so myself), and she's now not even getting back to me about whether or not she wants these anymore. The event that she originally wanted them for is happening tomorrow, so if she doesn't pay me and claim these by then, would be it crappy of me to just put them up for sale? She hasn't paid me ANYTHING so it's not like she's getting screwed over in any way, it's more of the whole "friend" thing that is making me feel like a jerk if I just go off and sell these....thoughts? Anyone else have issues with friends wanting dreads and then d*cking you around?

Kandiihaar

Re: Sellers: how long will you wait around for payment???

Post by Kandiihaar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Yeh, i'd say it would be fair to sell them if she doesn't claim them, they can be made again after all xx

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 pm

I think you should sell them.

A friend pulled something similar with me for a piece that had like $100 worth of special order materials in it, and easily a week worth of labor. After about 4 months of her not paying me and shaving her head so she couldn't even wear the thing (it was a big, heavy fall), I finally gave up and sold it to someone else.

A good year after that, she finally was ready to pay. When I told her it was long gone and if she wanted another, she'd have to pay up front, she was pretty understanding about it.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10 pm

I agree, if she doesn't pay I'd sell them. You put the money down for the materials and all.. She should understand when she's been ducking out of it for so long.
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Cool, thanks ladies. I'm not mad at her or anything; I think she probably just doesn't have the money after all, which is fine - times are tight for everyone. I'm just technically unemployed myself at the moment, so aside from my weekly pittance from unemployment, dreads are my additional income to keep my afloat so I can't be spending money on materials to make dreads that are going to just sit around unused.

If she doesn't claim them by Sunday I'll put them up on my Etsy :)

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:35 am

Yes, I would tell her that I was going to sell them and then just do it.

I have friends as customers and they do get special prices, but that is the ONLY thing different about the transaction. They are held to the same expectations as any other customer and so am I. There is still a deadline (or an appointment booking in my case) and a binding agreement and, in much the same way as they expect the same quality I offer to all my clients, I expect them to uphold their side of the bargain.

i don't do ANYTHING without first getting a deposit though, no matter who it is.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:10 am

Yeah, sell them. ask her if she still wants em & if she doesn't, then it's only right that you get the money for them by selling them to someone else.

I made the mistake of buying roving for someone who was "interested" I still have said roving 5 months later sat in my stash.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

dreadviolet

Post by dreadviolet » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

I'm sure you probably know this already, but...

Lesson nr. 1: never order materials for a set before getting paid. Never start with order before getting paid. Even if it's for a friend.

My policy is that order isn't confirmed until it's at least partly paid - so everything is just "talk" until I see some money. :mrgreen: It's just that I've had too many customers "wanting" something but never actually paying...
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:29 am

DreadViolet - Very, very good advice.. I'm in the process of a double-order (two people ordered them at the same time)... One person paid me twice what their materials cost, so I bought the full batch (for both of them), now that I knew they'd be able to pay for themselves.. THANKFULLY the other friend paid me (albeit a week and a half late), but I couldn't get it out of my head what a precarious position I had put myself into, having the responsibility to make quite possibly two sets for essentially nothing. Blech, I wasn't thinking.

So yes! Hehe, good advice!
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:43 am

Well she did come to pick them up Friday and brought the money with her; all good :) Hopefully she gives me pics of her wearing them.

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:03 am

starlotus wrote:Well she did come to pick them up Friday and brought the money with her; all good :) Hopefully she gives me pics of her wearing them.
I'm so glad!
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

oxalchemyxo

Post by oxalchemyxo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:49 am

That's good that she came and got them :) . I'm pretty much in the same situation right now. My friend asked me to make her some, but I only agreed to making like 10 DE's because I know her and I wasnt expecting her to pay me for them. It's been about 3 weeks and she's still got excuses, but they're just dark blended browns. I'm in no rush to get paid for them, but when the time comes for me to include them in a set to sell (or wear) I'll feel no guilt in doing so. Don't let people take advantage of you! Especially people who claim to be friends. 8-)
~Alchemy~

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:55 am

im kinda glad this has never happened to me before ..i always ask for aleast a deposite of $20

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:51 am

One thing I've learned over time is that unless someone pays for it up front or puts money down, it doesn't belong to them until they do.

I do conventions and bring my materials with me so I can take custom orders while there. I used to just make the item for the person and let them pay me when they picked it up, until a "friend" asked me to make him something, which I did (the time spent on his meant time away from taking other orders, of course). When I finished it I put it up on my display just to draw extra interest (as I would make another if someone wanted the same thing), and got a lot. A great many people asked about it and I told them this particular item was reserved for someone but that I would be happy to make one for them as well. No one bit. "Friend" never showed up and almost a year later I STILL have his item.

Now whenever someone places an order I tell them their options are
1- Pay for it now and the item is THEIRS and will be held for them until they return for it; or
2- I'll make it and put it on display, if someone else pays for it before they do I will make them another one, but will NOT guarantee to hold the item that someone is giving me money for.

Since implementing this, everyone has either given me the money up front or told me to wait to make it and then returned with the money to order it.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”