people who self install dreads

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
MistressH

people who self install dreads

Post by MistressH » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:18 am

would someone mind doing a quick tutorial or video of them self installing? every time i try i end up going cross eyed, my arms go numb and i get a little irate!

Stilldawn

Re: people who self install dreads

Post by Stilldawn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:18 pm

I sit at my computer and watch shows and use the mirror that sits about 6 feet away while I install mine and just take my time.

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm

i made a post on facebook a bit back while i was self installing for the first time.most girls reccomended not using a mirror and just use a feeling method to find whats more comfortable for the dreads... i hae since done two more self installs and it gets easier evrytime... i mean my braiding still looks a bit crappy but my hair and dreads blendso you dont notice. just take your time, take breaks in between sections and rest your arms move your neck. do it while watching some tv it helps keep from the boredom :)

oh i have a hawk but i section my hawk into 3 parts and do a part at a time starting at the back. it helps to break up the hair in parts before you just dive in. ;)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 pm

When I had my undercut I used to half my hair - so in pig tails, then half a half, then half again & so on, either clipping or tying each section.

Now , my hair is 3" at the back & is hawked, so I tie off each section before I start installing. TBH, practise is key. I've always installed my dreads myself & it used to take me about 4 hours & I've halved the time now. I take occasional tab & coffee breaks so not to kill my arms too much
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 pm

i'd say itd be hard to do a video tut as it takes so long to self install

I started mine this morning and just saw this post there. It's taken about 8 hours so far as i've not been working constantly becoz, as u say, ure arms get sore etc
I personally wouldnt make a tutorial ad my sectioning isnt great, esp at the back, I seem to always have a patch of no dreads at the top/back of my head..may need to take a couple out after i finish and re do them to cover it
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:59 pm

I do mine by feel, using a mirror was too confusing for me. I take lot's of breaks too.
I find that if I sit on the floor with knees up I can rest my elbows on my knees while I braid, helps reduced muscle fatigue in my arms. Also when I'm doing the back sections I pull the section forward to the side so I don't have to reach all the way behind my head and braid upside down. This does cause the braid to be at a slight slant sideways when installed but it doesn't seem to matter much as the weight of the dreads makes them hang straight down after a few days.

Installing yourself gets much easier and faster over time :i2: Keep at it.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Start with larger sections and make the sections smaller as you get better. It just takes alot of patience and practice.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:02 am

Two mirrors. I usually manage even sectioning. I've even done triangle sectioning on myself.

Takes A LOT of practise.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:22 am

I would suggest using a mirror to get the sectioning, but to braid by feel alone. If you try to look at your braiding in the mirror it is really difficult cause your hands go the wrong way. I have heard some people saying using a web cam and watching on screen or using 2 mirrors overcomes this, but I think it would confuse me more, I know in the double mirrors in H&M I get very confused, cause you kind of work on the assumption it's a mirror, except it isn't working like a mirror!

So yeah, on myself I start at the front cause it's easier to get that hair out of the way first I think (although on someone else I would start at the back). I make a parting, say a centre parting, and work with half my head first. I draw a line down from the centre towards my ears. Then tie up the rest and use this line to be my first row. I just use a tail come to get the edges of the sections neat. Then I do the next row in the same way. About 3 rows gets you to the back of your ears. Then I would do the same thing on the other side.

The back I do as one section, starting at the nape of the neck and working upwards. I use a tail comb and a mirror to get a straight line, and then tie the rest up, then work l-r making the sections. Then the next row etc until all done.

It doesn't have to be super neat at the back cause no-one can see it. But with practice it will be. I don't think anyone could get neat sections without a mirror. After that though you shouldn't need a mirror for braiding, you should be able to do that by feel and by tension.

(I can't make you a tut cause I have real dreads now)
telling it like it is!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:26 am

also, some people section there whole head off with elastics at the beginning, which I can see the pluses in cause it gets all the mirror stuff out the way in one go, it makes sure you don't get stray hairs creeping in the wrong sections, and it is easier to see i suppose without the bulky dreads getting in the way, but this is never something I have done.

Also, to stop stray hairs creeping in you might want to spray each section as you come to braid it with hair spray. Helps you get a hold of the section and braid tightly. The shorter your own hair the more useful this is
telling it like it is!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:14 am

hair spray, hmmmn. I may have to try that on my next install. I tried the installing on damp hair last time.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 am

I don't use mirrors apart from to see if I've put the elastic on properly, I do it by feel.

I section it into 3 part, from the crown down to behind each ear. The back is one section, then I section the front by where you want your parting. To avoid the "landing strip effect" make your parting one section thick and do triangle sections alternating which side the dread falls. I then start at the bottom of the back and work my way up, and finish doing the front and sides.

It takes practise but I can do a self install with about 50-60 dreads in just over 3 hours. You do get better each time. Oh, and learn blanket-stitch. It takes a little longer but looks so much neater :D
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:04 pm

That parting idea is a clever one. I have never done that, but then always used to tie mine up pretty much all the time anyway, but if ever I am installing on anyone else i will do that :)

Also, length of time for install can vary greatly depending on how long your hair is. I can self install in short hair in about 90mins, but as my hair got longer it obviously took longer and longer, by the time it was at it's longest it was taking me about 4 hours with only 30 DEs! It's the braiding that takes the time, so the more hair you have the longer it will take. I know this is obvious, but sometimes it;s only obvious once someone has said it!
telling it like it is!

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:57 pm

I've done my installs 2 times with damp hair and i find it easier as i get alot of "fly aways" so the damp helps keep those down while braiding...
I've tried the sectioning and rubber banding them first and its not easy when you have longer hair i found that i ended up having strands from other sections in my braids causing pulling and a problem haha.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm

i remember reading a long time ago that braiding wet hair is bad because you can overstretch it which can damage the elasticity. I don't know how much of a problem this is in real terms, but i think the hairspray gives you more hold on the hair without causing the elasticity problem.
telling it like it is!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am

MissAnthropik wrote:That parting idea is a clever one. I have never done that, but then always used to tie mine up pretty much all the time anyway, but if ever I am installing on anyone else i will do that :)
I'll be honest it's not my idea...I got it from watching shifuku's blanket stitch tutorial on youtube - it works really well and stops that annoying gap you get in the middle :)
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

I sit with a mirror wedged between my knees then watch something (usually takes an hour or so) and plait away. I've never been one for perfect sectioning, I just start with the top layer, the flip them over to the other side of the head and start on the next layer, using a rat tail comb to lift the bits of hair. When it gets to the back, I either ask someone to help, or just guess, checking with two mirrors now and then to make sure that my layers are even and Im not getting bald spots!

MistressH

Post by MistressH » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 am

wow thanks for all the hints and tips, i havnt tried since my hair was cut so it should be easier now.... just need to shift this bug and then ill give it another go! even just reading this thread has made me nauseous darn you bug!

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:06 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:When I had my undercut I used to half my hair - so in pig tails, then half a half, then half again & so on, either clipping or tying each section.
I can only seem to successfully do my undercut by pulling it all forward and putting in an elastic to secure it and sectioning a row across the back one row at a time and installing back to front, I usually fit 4 across.

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 pm

brandalynn wrote:Start with larger sections and make the sections smaller as you get better. It just takes alot of patience and practice.

If your ever bored you can come install on me since you live so close! lol

empty_smiles

Post by empty_smiles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:58 am

Something I found that works really well is putting my hair in three sections, ( if you have a full head of hair)

ANd with and undercut the same thing but modified.
Image (more for longer hair)

Image top view also somewhat similar think of making U shapes on the head. Starting to part at the middle of your eue brows. the middle section you wanna split it in half so its easier to pull out of the way. :i9:

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:21 pm

I just do it all by feel. I rarely use a mirror. I sit watching tv while doing it and take breaks to let my arms recover, or sit in such a way that my arms are supported while I braid.. I've got better over the years though, I hardly break at all now and my arms don't ache much either.. even after 3 hours of installing.. I think that's just practise - your arms get used to it.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Rhaeniel wrote:I just do it all by feel. I rarely use a mirror. I sit watching tv while doing it and take breaks to let my arms recover, or sit in such a way that my arms are supported while I braid.. I've got better over the years though, I hardly break at all now and my arms don't ache much either.. even after 3 hours of installing.. I think that's just practise - your arms get used to it.
^This is what I do, although my arms do ache the next day, they feel like I've been doing about 1000 pushups or something :lol:
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Everyone must do much more careful installs on themselves than I do :P It only takes me around an hour to an hour and a half now to install 40-45 DE's :S

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 am

Yeah, but from what I've seen of your installs, you wear pretty thick dreads. I wear way more than 45 DE s cos mine are so thin, so ittakes a lot longer.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”