Anyone know of a good theatrical hair course?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Mkatsi

Anyone know of a good theatrical hair course?

Post by Mkatsi » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Im looking to do a course in hair for stage (Its fine if its mixed with beauty) but everything I find is BA or degree course, and having just finished a BA Hon degree, dont have funds or desire to enter into another.
Does anyone know of anything useful, or would it be most beneficial to do a normal course to know the basics and build on that myself?

Lorny

Re: Anyone know of a good theatrical hair course?

Post by Lorny » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:36 pm

What sort of hair do you want to do? I did a level 3 in theatrical and media make up, which involved all aspects including hair and make up, and all we actually learned was about the care of wigs and stuff and how to put them on. You're more likely to land a job if it's on paper, though it's so easy it almost seems pointless to go on a course about it. I haven't seen any courses just for theatre hair specifically though.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Thats the kind of course Im looking for now, as I realise its not the kind of thing I can do in the UK, a couple of theatre's do work placements and experience, but I need NVQ hair dressing first, so it seems like my best bet is to try and do the NVQ then build up work myself, since I already have three years uni experience in theatre design *rolls eyes* these courses never cross over properly!
I have a contact thats worked with prosthetics on casulty now at least, though she tells me that theres only one company in the UK that hires their own make up and hair stylists, apparently in the rest, the actors do it themselves.
I think I'll still try and go for it though, I have a lot of the knowledge already, but none of the practical cutting skills and such, I think hair dressing might be a nice fall back when my contemporary performance leaves me with no money :P

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 am

Go for it! It's a good little earner on the side. My college has a big annual show competition thing every year, so your background in theatre could really help if you had something like that at your establishment, should you choose to go ahead with it!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”