How long do YOU keep your dreads in?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Love Bunny

How long do YOU keep your dreads in?

Post by Love Bunny » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi :) I was just kinda wondering really! As I noticed some people don't leave them in for long at all!

I have mine in for about 2 and a half months before I take them out, wash and re-install!

This is JUST before the roots start dreading and obviously the hair shed gets TOO rediculous when I'm washing my hair xD I would leave them in longer but my natural hair is so long it would just end up in a mess with all the shed hair getting tangled up!

I like them looking a bit looser and messy as I wear naturals so they look nicer after a week or two when they've settled in =)

x
~Jess ♥

International Secret Sweet & Savoury Swap! Sign Up HERE!

IKickShins

Re: How long do YOU keep your dreads in?

Post by IKickShins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 am

I leave mine in for around two months as well.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:34 am

Longest I have left in dreads is 2 weeks. My hair sucks, so 2 weeks is the max really. I've had the curret set in for 2 weeks so far. I think they'll last at least another week.

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:08 am

i leave mine in for 2-3 weeks usually since my hair growths rather quickly
*Manda*

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 am

1 to 2 weeks. Really, that's due to job constraints during the fall/winter, and heat restraints during the spring/summer.

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 am

2-4 weeks usually b/c I need to scratch my scalp and give it a good wash. Also b/c I usually want to do my roots & change the color/color scheme by that time.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

runningwithlola

Post by runningwithlola » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 am

I reinstall them about once a month b/c that's how often I need to dye my hair.

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 am

the longest i've had mine is 3 weeks, they start getting a bit icky if i leave them any longer or my hair just mats up!
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:22 pm

i normally leave mine in for about one and a half months, mostly because im lazy

a friend of mine once left braids in for over six months... she had dreads by the end of that and i had to use tweezers to pull the kk out of the matted hair, then she had more braids put in OVER the dreads (against my advice) and left those in for about three months, then had to comb the well-matted dreads out

quite revolting really

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:21 am

2-3 weeks these days. When I first started wearing dreads, sometimes 2 months because the install was such a pain :P

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 pm

CherryLex wrote:2-4 weeks usually b/c I need to scratch my scalp and give it a good wash. Also b/c I usually want to do my roots & change the color/color scheme by that time.
I am exactly the same - i have to scratch my head and once it starts itching i need to wash it - and i got bored of the same colour scheme so quickly that i need to switch it up...

I alos find that if I leave my dreads in for 4-6 weeks that they have started to naturally dread by then - especially if i have a fringe piece out and wash that!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 pm

The longest I've ever left them in is 3 months - yes you read it right, and I had baby dreads forming.

But now I can manage a week at best :/ I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with their scalps!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:04 pm

1-3 weeks. sometimes I take em out, rewash & reinstall a few days later. my head seems to be less tolerant to synth for the past few months though.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 pm

only about 2-3 weeks, though with my recent naturals i found the fuzziness made them so itchy so 2 weeks was all i could handle
/emmy x

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:25 pm

2-3 weeks here also. By then, I feel that my scalp needs a good wash and rub. I wash the dreads and such while they're in, but I need that deep clean feel that you can't get while in dreads.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Panda Moon

Post by Panda Moon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Wow- I am learning so much. I thought most people wore them for 2-3 months at a time.

heartofdarkness

Post by heartofdarkness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:37 pm

2 or 3 weeks is the longest I've been able to handle wearing any, as my scalp gets too itchy, but now I'm going to have a go at making some falls, and see how that goes instead.

toxymoxy

Post by toxymoxy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:10 am

I do mine for 2-3 months generally.. though, technically I've done up to 4 months in the past. I hate the sectioning process so much that I'd rather just go one-by-one, unbraiding, pulling out the matted bits&natural dreading and just rebraiding it right back in all nice and tight so it's I have a constant dreadtime without the break between installs. I just do the one-by-one retie as often as I need to, whenever I find any of the dreads are getting too loose for my liking. That and washing my scalp often enough to keep it fresh makes everything works out just fine, haha.
i am nobody's little weasel

ToxyMoxy Synthetic Dreads on Facebook

foximusprime

Post by foximusprime » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 pm

I usually leave mine in for at least one week, i can usually manage 2 1/2 weeks before i need to take them out and wash my hair.
blah blah blah

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:13 am

I always thought I was really lame and took mine out a lot sooner than everyone else, but it would appear 2-4 weeks is average!

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:33 am

Right around two weeks here too, leave em out for a day or two then put them back in. My hair grows super fast when they are in though. Two weeks and I can easily stick one of my fat fingers under the once tight dread. Although this last time I lasted a little over as I did what toxymoxy mentioned. I put them in a pony and pull each dread down one at a time, just the braided side and rebraid it in. Works really well that way but I get sores on my head easily so I ended up taking them out two days later anyways to give my scalp a break. If I am feeling grimy and dont feel like fully washing my hair while they are in then I will take a baby wipe or make up remover wipe and give my scalp a good scrubbing. Although I have considered using this foam shampoo stuff I have for my cat, its all natural ingredients and you just foam it in and wipe it out with a cloth, but the fact its for a cat has stopped me. No idea why as its all herbal and organic. Mental thing I guess.

MissPlastik

Post by MissPlastik » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:58 am

nomally a week...god im borin :P

my last set was in for 3 days haha ^_^

pinky

Post by pinky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:10 pm

ha! i had to take my last set out after 3 days too! my hair likes to break rubber bands so a few nights of sleeping on them and i have dreads half falling out so the max is usually a week. i'e tried many many difffrent types of rubber bands and either my hair slipps out from under the band or they break. having uber smooth hair sux >.<

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:30 am

It depends what I've been doing in them or what sort of things I've got lined up each week - if I'm going out clubbing with my sis, then they come out.. out with my mate Hev and then go back in, etc..
Generally tho, I tend to leave them in for about 3-4 weeks.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

MissPlastik

Post by MissPlastik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:53 pm

pinky wrote:ha! i had to take my last set out after 3 days too! my hair likes to break rubber bands so a few nights of sleeping on them and i have dreads half falling out so the max is usually a week. i'e tried many many difffrent types of rubber bands and either my hair slipps out from under the band or they break. having uber smooth hair sux >.<

Hehe ditto..
I did it for camping, and when I woke up I kept checking my pillow for broken elastics...im a fidget so I always end up with loose bits 0___0

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”