Full Coverage System. 1 Fall + 2 Side Combs + Fringe

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
VixenSingsBlack

Full Coverage System. 1 Fall + 2 Side Combs + Fringe

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:23 am

First of all I must say this method which I developed was totally inspired by Psy Sheep. I don't know if she's still around, but I believe hers was very similar. So all thanks to her :)

Your Finished Product Look:

Supplies:
Lots of yarn in your preferred colors, maybe a few synth dreads and other bits or bobbles
Sturdy elastic for the fall
Two plastic side combs
Thread and needle
Latch hook
1 thin elastic head band
12 inches of wefted hair matching the yarn

#1 First of all, make your fall(s) from whatever materials you have. If you don't know how to do this, check for another tutorial because here I'd like to concentrate on the side combs and the fringe. The falls need to be long enough so that they cover down to the nape of your neck and uber-super-duty-heckalot FULL. No skimping. For the 1 fall in this picture I used 1 big yarn skein and 1.5 little ones. That's a lot of material going on!

#2 Get out your side combs. If you're thinking "side comb, what's that?" click here. Now you need to cut the appropriate amount of yarn to go on the side combs. I suggest having the bits in the front long, down to your jaw bone, and then gradually getting shorter as it moves toward the back. Cut up about 50 double ended pieces of yarn. Cut 4 lengths of very long yarn, and box braid or 4way braid this yarn until it is the same length as the comb (width wise, not tooth long.)

Now the tricky part: Tie a good hard knot onto the end tooth of the comb with your thread. Lay the box braided yarn on top of the comb width wise (not the side which sits on your head, but the other side). Attach the box braided yarn to the comb by winding the thread around and around and around and through the teeth of the comb. You should wrap at least 3 times between each tooth. Securely fasten thread at opposite end.

Once that is done, your base for the side comb is ready. Now grab all the little DE yarnies you cut up earlier and start latch hooking them to that boxbraid base; start the longest on one end and move to the shorter. Tie knots if you feel it's necessary for good solid attachment. If your thread pops under the pressure, start over again with thicker, heavier dutier thread.

Once all the little DE yarnies are attached, you have a side comb! Tada! Now repeat for the 2nd one.

#3 Quicky fake fringe. Since you will be wearing the side combs you can attach a fringe to an elastic head band for comfort and ease. All you need do is fold the 12 inch weft in half and sew onto the elastic headband base. Put on and style/cut as you normally would.

#4 Putting all this on! Start by slipping the head band over your head and around the neck like a necklace. Now put up your bun and attach the hair fall. Next, slide the side combs in so that they meet in the middle of your head like a part. Last, pull the fringe up over your face and into position. Alright!! Full coverage very convincing yarn wear. You rock, go girl!

All the pieces laid out & the back:
ImageImage

An orange set with 2 falls and a yarn fringe:
ImageImage
Last edited by VixenSingsBlack on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tazzyface

Re: Full Coverage System. 1 Fall + 2 Side Combs + Fringe

Post by tazzyface » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:46 am

WOW!
What a neat idea! Now I can get even bigger hair :twisted:

Thank you for posting this :D
More human than human

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:19 am

I hope to add more pics of the actual process, I just haven't made any yarnies in sooooo long cuz nobody every wants any. I do have some killer purple/magenta wool yarn just waiting for it though :) I'll take pics, especially of the side comb making, to make the tut better.

madebs666

Post by madebs666 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:56 am

Rhanks for posting this! I'm using it now, so expect to see a show off soon!

This is the third tut of yours I've used now, keep them coming! lol

Dawn

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:54 am

This is awesome!
Finally other people who love full heads of Yarn ^^
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:11 am

Oh I love this idea! Iv seen a few tutorials using side combs and things like that but this is perfect for me because I WANT the look of a full install but I cant braid any dreads into my hair because i have a scalp condition and it would just be a total mess if i tried. Thanks so much for posting this!

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”