Top/part partial wig out of full wig?

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
Sharaya

Top/part partial wig out of full wig?

Post by Sharaya » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:12 am

Hi I'm wanting to know if there is any way I can make a partial wig out of a full wig. I'm looking for it to clip in on the very top of my head where my part is, creating another color/entirely new part over top of my actual hair that looks something like this: Image

Here is what I have to work with: Image

And it is a skintop wig, but the "skin" part on the inside is very small: Image

So I'm wondering how easy this is going to be to make, and I would love it if anyone that has tried to do this before can help me out before I cut up a perfectly good wig. I just wan't the piece to add a reasonable amount of color on the top of my black hair to give it the effect of me dying the top layer of my hair and the color falling down in streaks around my head/face. I'm just iffy about if it will work or not since the skin top is so tiny and that would be the part I would be cutting out to make the piece I would assume. Also I'm wondering how reliable it's gonna be wig clipped right onto the top of my head and if there is some particular way I would do it for it to stay/look believable. If anyone has any tips at all please let me know. Also I'm sorry if I didn't explain this very well, it's a bit hard to, hopefully you all know what I'm asking. hehe

IKickShins

Re: Top/part partial wig out of full wig?

Post by IKickShins » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:01 pm

To get the look of your real hair peeking through like in the picture, I think it would be a good idea to add in some streaks of your hair color to the wig. Hand-tying or microrings would be a good way to go so they're nice and thin.

As far as cutting it goes, you can just chop off whatever parts of the wig you don't want. It won't hurt the rest of the wig. Then sew wig/weave clips all around the inside to hold it in place.

I've never made a piece exactly like what you want, but I made a Fiona wiglet out of a full wig last October and cutting up the wig worked out well:

I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:02 am

Thank you. I finally got the guts I needed and just started hacking away... and after a few times taking it apart again and cutting more and more off I finally got what I wanted, I pretty much just cut the whole top of the wig off and glued wig clips inside, also ended up with a nice fringe piece on accident too haha. Here is what I came up with:

I'm so excited about this I will probably never dye my hair again, haha. Planning on trying my hand on making a piece like this from scratch too and if it goes well i'll make a few diff colors, maybe even sell them.

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 am

I guess you just have to take risks with things like this and hope for the best! I'm glad it worked out. Maybe someone else will benefit from this post someday, who knows. lol

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:00 pm

wow! what an interesting idea. The results look good! Thanks for sharing. glad you decided to go for it. seems to have worked!

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

one question....how do the textures compare between the wig hair and your real hair? When both seen together, do they blend well?

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Well i used a wig that had a wavy texture to it the same as my natural hair. I would say if you have curly hair or pin straight hair to go with a wig that's the same. I just take that piece and clip it on, and comb the ends into my natural hair underneath and it helps the waves blend into each other and lay the same way. Here is a full tutorial including tips I have made since then:

http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/wiglethair-topper

Synthetik Ecstasy

Post by Synthetik Ecstasy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:13 am

That looks really good, well done!

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”