Lace wigs

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
brooklynbabycakkes

Lace wigs

Post by brooklynbabycakkes » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Does anybody know how to make a human hair lace wig? I know how to make a synthetic one, but making a human hair one is confusing me and I have done a lot of research trying to figure it out and I can't. (feel free to move if this is in the worng spot.) Thanks.

guest123

Re: Lace wigs

Post by guest123 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:27 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brooklynbabycakkes

Post by brooklynbabycakkes » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:42 pm

I know how to know synthetic bulk hair when it is doubled over, but i honestly have konw idea how you would make a human hair lace wig or if it's even possible.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:31 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brooklynbabycakkes

Post by brooklynbabycakkes » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Ok. Thank you so much.

DOMINO_COUTURE

Post by DOMINO_COUTURE » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:16 am

I know this is late, but to keep cuticle aligned hair in these wigs, you make them by folding the hair over a few inches from the root. some wig makers will even go through afterward, and cut the short hairs down even more. to do this, grab a slice of hair, and blow through the roots, then trim these ends down, but not all the way, or the knots may slip out. Hope this makes sense. think of it like the beard on a human hair weft.

Diavolos

Post by Diavolos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:04 am

OK here is my 5 cents on this one.

In Synthetic hair you fold it in half so you can make the knot and have two returning hair strands (per original hair strand) losing half the length. There is no problem for the length because synthetic hair can come in high lengths with cheap cost. The standard for example is 48 inch that makes 24 inch doubled (which is still long enough). So you only need to buy twice the length you need for the end product.

(Synthetic Hair, easily folded in half, great lengths, no cutticles)

##########
For human hair we have the problem with the cuticles. Cuticles are looking downwards like a roof with tiles. If we double the hair we have two issues:
1) the length is down by half and that is a problem cause really long human hair are usually very expensive.
2) the biggest problem is the cuticles, one end of the strand will lay the cuticles in the correct direction and the other one in the wrong. That means that half the hair in the wig will be back-combed and thus will sooner or later break the returning strands of the wrong direction!

(Human hair, great lengths are expensive so you can't fold it in half, also cuticles are a problem)

##########
Leaving a very small amount of hair to the wrong direction (looping the hair close to the root of it) will solve the problem of the wrong cuticle BUT will create another bigger problem (a visual one). If you cut the returning hair too short then it won't lay down like hair must. Imagine this, lets say you take one hair strand of your head and let it long and then take the second one and cut it very short, then let the other one long and cut the other one short again. Do this to your whole head. you will end up with long hair, very spiky hair in the top and half the volume.

(Cutting the one end too short will cause spiky hair problem in visible areas)

So if you do it to a wig you will have to ventilate more hair to fill the unit, and you will have the problem of little spiky hair that will get out of the wig in the top part and all visible areas that will create an ugly sight!

##########
WHAT SHOULD BE DONE?

(Top fold almost in half, Middle fold in 3/4, Bottom fold close to the root)

Top and front parts: I suggest you fold the hair almost in half in the top of the wig and all visible areas like the front. And since you will have wrong cuticle strands you just have to make sure to put extra care when you brush that part! Also take some moment to de-tangle it if it get tangly by gently brushing small sections. If you don't mind having some layering you can make the fold towards the root of the hair so the wrong cuticle part will be shorter than the correct strand.

*Also take in mind that folding it too much takes away the length so if you don't want a very layered wig then you should get longer hair for the top part. f it is too long you can always cut it, if it is too short there is nothing you can do!*

Mid parts: You can fold the hair and leave like 2~3 inches depending on how thick the hair strands are. This way you won't have a big problem with back combing the wrong cuticle hair strands but also the length is going to be long enough to go downwards and not be visible.

Bottom: You can fold the hair almost in the root, fold in like 1~2 inches of the root so you won't lose length, you won't get it tangling and you won't have it unraveling. Since it is in the bottom you don't have a problem with returning spiky hair strands.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”