HOW TO: Making a Wig Using Premade Base

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
Couture_Coiffure

HOW TO: Making a Wig Using Premade Base

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Apologies in advance for lack of photos, but hopefully what there is of images along with the descriptions will help.

This is a method I have used with success, and possibly one of the easiest ways to make your own wig.

SUPPLIES

Wig Base - An existing wig called an Instant Weave, much like THIS ONE.

Bonding Glue -While I do not have a preference of brand, it is better to get the white as it dries clear. EXAMPLE

Hair - All your choice. There are pros and cons to both human and synthetic hair, so think about what you want the hair to achieve for you before deciding. For this particular exapmle, I used 18 inch human hair in blue, yellow and red; the hair comes as one long piece of track or weft [approx 30 inches depending on brand].

Scissors - Should be sharp to leave clean edges on the wefts. Personally, I never use the same scissors to cut hair and everything else.

Hair Dryer, Plastic Cap & Head [optional]

*Please note this wig was constructed using a cosmetology grade mannequin head that was covered with a plastic cap [plastic bag can be used in place of that].

PROCEDURE

1. Remove existing hair from the Base. Would highly suggest just cutting off the hair, as you will need the track for stability and other purposes.

2. Cut the weft to the length of your first row at the very bottom of the wig base. Apply moderate amount of bonding glue to weft and lay horizontally across the wig, following the existing track. Firmly press the weft down to form a good bond; apply heat for 15 seconds if desired.

3. Working from the bottom to the top, repeat until you reach the crown or top of the wig.

Inside view:

Now comes the difficult part of finishing off the wig. This can be done in a variety of ways, depending on how you want the wig to look.

Here is a close-up of the top:

In this example, the hair has been laid horizontally from bottom to top, with the upper layers slowly curving as less and less wig base is visible. Starting at the left, the weft was then laid in a circular pattern, so that hair would hang over the front part of the wig.

Continue in this fashion until there is no wig base showing. This part can be very tricky, and I would suggest using a tail comb to get the last few bits in place.

Finished top:
[You can see the circular pattern here.]

Allow the bonding glue to dry for at least 12 hours before putting the wig on.

The front of the wig can be trimmed into a fringe or parted as desired. To keep a part in place, dampen the hair slightly, section, and clip in the direction you want the part.

While the hair can be easily styled, avoid excess pulling on the wefts. If for some reason any of the wefts come loose, apply bonding glue and reset with pressure or heat.

Next time I make a wig this way, I will do my best to get photos and update this.
Last edited by Couture_Coiffure on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Miss Liberty

Re: Human Hair Wig - Using Premade Base

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:35 pm

this is a great tute! Can you include a long shot pic of the finished wig either being worn or on a mannequin? It would be nice to fully see the end result.

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks, I was worried that it was too simple.

Will definitely add a few shots of the finished wig in a day or so. :D

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 am

End Result on Mannequin

Additional photos of me wearing this piece can be seen HERE.

MrsEss

Re: HOW TO: Making a Wig Using Premade Base

Post by MrsEss » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:16 pm

That is actually AMAZING & looks so simple. I thought it would've been a complete nightmare to make a wig.

Thanks!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Wow, this looks really nice! The method of doing it seems pretty straightforward, but I still don't think I'd personally have the patience to ever do it :lol: Great job though!

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:29 pm

so i used this tutorial ant it took me maybe, MAYBE, a half hour to get it all done. awesome.

Tipsyxx

Post by Tipsyxx » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:42 pm

iddylove wrote:so i used this tutorial ant it took me maybe, MAYBE, a half hour to get it all done. awesome.

a half hour. wowza!

I'm not a fan of glue, I'd prefer to hand stitch the wefts in. so it would probably take a bit longer.

good tutorial though. I've been wondering how to do the very top.

MissLove

Post by MissLove » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Cool! Need to try this!

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”