Faux-Roving or Fleece Dreads Tutorial

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
VixenSingsBlack

Faux-Roving or Fleece Dreads Tutorial

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Step 1: Buy 2 yards of fleece in your preferred color. Lay it out completely flat on the floor. Notice that it stretches width wise and not length wise; it does NOT stretch the length side of 2yards, but it does stretch the width side, about 45inches. Cut strips of just over 1 inch from the whole piece of fleece. That should give you lots of 45inch long approx 1 inch wide strips.

Step 2: If you want DE dreads of about 22 inches folded (44 inches unfolded) then cut all the strips in half.

Step 3: To make the ends taper, cut 45* triangles off the ends.

Step 4: Take one strip in both hands, as I have poorly illustrated, and slowly stretch the strip. Yes this takes lots of muscle to do it correctly. Yes it will make your hands raw and burn, and maybe even some blisters. For making the tapered ends stretch with your fingers carefully, not your whole hand.

Repeat step 4 about a billion more times and you have a huge yet light set of faux-roving for installing :) Also to note is that every fleece is not equal--some is more difficult to stretch and others are really easy to stretch. Black seems to be pretty rough in most brands. Patterns are usually quite easy. If you're having a hard time getting a fleece to stretch and roll over on itself, try cutting smaller strips! 2 yards will yield roughly 50 DEs.

ImageImageImageImage
*wanted to add an install pic so everyone will know faux-roving is TOTALLY appropriate and awesome for installing :)
Last edited by VixenSingsBlack on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Anouk

Re: Faux-Roving or Fleece Dreads Tutorial

Post by Anouk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:26 pm

when is it comming?

i cant wait!!! :i2:
put some color in your hair!!

kezerb

Post by kezerb » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:41 am

Is there actually going to be a tutorial posted or just a thread saying there may be one :roll:

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:55 am

just hold your fire, I sure it is coming! Remember she had to move away when the hurricane hi new orleans- I am sure when she has time, she will post one :i2:

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Jeeeeeez, sorry it was a little late guys. I'm a busy little lady. Remember, you always catch more flies with honey than vinegar. My illustrations were a little rushed since I felt pressure to produce this fast, I may improve them later. Have fun, apologies all around for tardiness.

Anouk

Post by Anouk » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:16 pm

no pressure! great tut!! its all very clear!

thanks! i will show you soon what i made.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks for that :D

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:40 am

I *think* I cut mine the other way actually.... :shock:
I'll check and get back to you.
jungle dread on the facebooks

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:07 pm

Jane Doe wrote:I *think* I cut mine the other way actually.... :shock:
There are some fleece fabrics out there that have a 4 way stretch, so you very well might have cut them the other way. The 4 way stretch fabrics are often times 2 to 3 times more expensive, and not really worth it if you don't need 10ft dreads. Some fleeces are also kind of "softies"; what I mean by that is that they are simply very pliable and easily stretch--so easily in fact you've got to be gentle so as not to rip them (I've done that too many times!). So yeah, it's totally feasible that you did cut the other way. This tut is designed for "regular" fleece fabric that only has a 2 way stretch (binding to binding) or 4 way stretch (cuz then it stretches all around and doesn't matter).

So thanks for the observation :)

PoiZon

Post by PoiZon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:41 am

Um this is totally awesome I have to try this like ASAP!!!

OxiTrash

Post by OxiTrash » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:42 pm

I was going to ask you if it was cool for me to make some of these but I guess seeing as you posted a tut you don't mind if some other people try it out too :]

I have extra fleece fabric from a jacket I made so I'm defiantly going to give it a go :]

thanks for sharing your sweet idea with the hair community!!
*Oxi Trash*

OXI LOX dreads by Oxi

Anouk

Post by Anouk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm

i have to ask: how do you make your faux roving falls so full and poofy?

i tryed but then i cant get them to stay in my hair :i3:

Xavialune

Post by Xavialune » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:19 am

I know this is old but....SA-WEET! Ive been looking for a tut on this for a while. yay!
I <3 The Chameleons

Spooky_Noodles

Post by Spooky_Noodles » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! Can I just say you look so cute in the picture with the pinks and purples :D
It's not stoopid, it's ADVANCED!!

OxiTrash

Post by OxiTrash » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:27 pm

you weren't joking about the blisters either.. my poooor fingers:[
*Oxi Trash*

OXI LOX dreads by Oxi

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 am

Oh yeah, it's no joke at all. Just moisturize really heavy when you go to bed at night--it helps.

AmandaLegend

Post by AmandaLegend » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks for this! I am working on some right now. It seems to be an easy beginner project. I will try and post pictures if they turn out alright.

moosiefeltfelt

Post by moosiefeltfelt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 am

i think they are so amzing am just tryin to find sum sutble colours think i may go camo x
roll, roll, roll, the roving make the feltie dreads
hang em up n dry em out
and get a woolie head

paran0ir

Post by paran0ir » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:03 pm

I really want to try this, just trying to find a decent retailer in the UK!

Zombee

Post by Zombee » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:24 pm

wow.. i really really love this idea! thanks for sharing! (i know its a old post.. lol)
<3

WeaveWenchUK

Anti pill or Not? Please Help......

Post by WeaveWenchUK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 pm

'Vixen Sings Black', thank you for such a cool way to make dreads in a different media(Other than kk or wool)! :D

If yourself or anyone else here can help, I have question please. Does it matter if the fleece fabric is anti pill or not? Like does it make any difference to how easy(or hard!) it is to pull them into shape after cutting the stripes? Or does it not make a jot of difference if it is anti pill or not?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

PS. This is my first post! *waves to everyone* A public thanks to Doc who helped with my initial problems logging in, such a fab lady. :D
I'm likened to a mixture of Little Miss Naughty, Little Miss Chatterbox and Little Miss Sunshine!! Apparently! :0)
Website currently being overhauled/redesigned, so please keep your eyes peeled:- http://www.weavewench.co.uk

Tessie

Post by Tessie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Another question here... maybe a bit stupid, but anyway - how do you make falls out of those stripes? :i2:

thanks

WeaveWenchUK

Post by WeaveWenchUK » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Tessie wrote:Another question here... maybe a bit stupid, but anyway - how do you make falls out of those stripes? :i2:

thanks
Personally I would do it the same way as with any other dreads/rovings/crin. Then if it does not work, just play around with other ways and find what works best for me. You could do the same too Tessie. :)

I found my own answer to my post re anti pill, so incase anyone else was wondering it does not make a jot of difference at all. I ordered my fleece(Pink/Purple/Cream/Brownish Como pattern), made the dreads and am installing them next week...........when I have a few hours. :D I'll try and post a picture here after I have put them in too.
Thanks again to the OP for the tut, fab idea for weak hair that needs a rest.
I'm likened to a mixture of Little Miss Naughty, Little Miss Chatterbox and Little Miss Sunshine!! Apparently! :0)
Website currently being overhauled/redesigned, so please keep your eyes peeled:- http://www.weavewench.co.uk

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Anti pill or Not? Please Help......

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:14 pm

WeaveWenchUK wrote: 'Vixen Sings Black', thank you for such a cool way to make dreads in a different media(Other than kk or wool)! :D

If yourself or anyone else here can help, I have question please. Does it matter if the fleece fabric is anti pill or not? Like does it make any difference to how easy(or hard!) it is to pull them into shape after cutting the stripes? Or does it not make a jot of difference if it is anti pill or not?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

PS. This is my first post! *waves to everyone* A public thanks to Doc who helped with my initial problems logging in, such a fab lady. :D

You really have to experiment with name brands of fleece fabric. Anti-pill or not, I don't think it matters--it's just about how stretchy they make it! Even within one brand, some colors will stretch better than others. I always have trouble with black, for instance. So order small bits of different manufacturers and see how it goes.

Sorry for the late reply!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Tessie wrote:Another question here... maybe a bit stupid, but anyway - how do you make falls out of those stripes? :i2:

thanks
That fleece was checkerboard patterned when I bought it. So I just made it into dreads, then installed it in my hair. To make falls, you just tie tight to a piece of elastic (or lace or ribbon etc.).

Sorry for the late reply!!

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam & Mixed Media”