adding DE's to natural dreads?

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
killerkitty

adding DE's to natural dreads?

Post by killerkitty » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:19 am

I have a customer who wants to have DE's installed to his natural dreads. But I haven't found a tutorial for that. Do you think it's enough to attach them with elastics? Would be great if someone could post a tutorial or tell me how to do this right.

rivetlicker_

Re: adding DE's to natural dreads?

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:10 pm

From Quinnsters, it's not much, but it should help.

http://www.angrycaninelovestick.org/dre ... makedreads

Scroll down a bit.

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:21 pm

When creating vines etc, I created one for a client with a split side.
Ie, the main part was solid (in this picture, the vine)
and the other half was "split".
In this way, the two split pieces could be plaited in with the natural dread

jungle dread on the facebooks

dreadheaded

Post by dreadheaded » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Hiya, at KohlEyes original site she has instructions on attaching both SE and DE dreads to natural dreads (I've been using this method for years). Her site is here:

http://www.urbanpanic.com/kohl/kohlhair.htm

And the instructions are under the how-tos link at the top of the page.

Depending how long your client wants the DEs for and how thick their own dreads are, instead of looping the DEs round and round (as detailed on the how to) you could simply poke a hole in the 'middle' of the DE, thread it up the real dread to the root and then just knot the real dread, although you may not want to use that for long as it could weaken the real dreads (and some fat dreads will either be impossible to knot while leaving length or make it very uncomfy to sleep on the knots).

Atm I'm working my way through a set of natural DE transies to install into my own dreads that will cover up my natural dreads (I wanna go back to my natural hair colour from black but want to cover my real dreads till the colour grows out, not keen to bleach!) This involves one side of the DE being normal and the other side being flat. I'll thread it through the root of my real dread, fold the flat side round my real dread then sew each side round with invisible thread to create a tube around my natural dread on the inside. However, it may be tricky to seal one side flat with heat (I'm a big fan of felting). But it does mean the regular side can be pulled back through the root when the real hair grows, the real dreads can be pulled down through the tube and the regular side reinsterted higher up the root (and possibly a few extra stitches added at the bottom of the tube side since the real dread will be longer and poke out the bottom) I'm not sure if this all makes sense! Just thought I'd add it in case the client wanted their real dreads covered for any reason.

Perhaps I'll do a tutorial if anyone's interested?

Anyways, hope this helps!

killerkitty

Post by killerkitty » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Thank you all :)
I tried it out with some fake dreads and I think I got it now :D

Return to “Extended Dreadlocks”