How to make Transitional Dreads by Purity

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
IKickShins

How to make Transitional Dreads by Purity

Post by IKickShins » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Originally made by Purity, posted onto HH by Miss Kitten, and rescued from Google cache by me ;P

This is what I do when I make transitionals, it's a bit different from the method other people seem to use:

For example, say that you want a transitional going from black to red.
*Take a piece of the black hair, about as long as you want it to be. Backcomb the hell out of it. Do the same with the red hair.

*Start twistning the black and red hair together, leaving about 10 cm of each colour at the end. Twist for about 3-4 cm. Seal the twist and make sure it doesn't unravel.

*Start wrapping the red hair around the bit of black hair you left out in the twist . When you run out of black hair, continue twisting the red hair as you do with a normal dread until you reach the end of the red hair. Seal.

*Wrap the black hair around the red hair in the same way you wrapped the red hair around the black, wrapping upwards. Seal. DONE!

Might be easier if I draw a crappy paint diagram... Here you go:

This shows the method for double enders, I'm suer you can use it for single enders aswell.

1: Backcomb the sections of hair; for double dreads, have one looped piece for the top colour and two single pieces for the bottom colour.

2: Twist the two colours together where they join, leaving a small piece (the tip) of each colour out of the twist. Seal.

3: Wrap the red hair around the left out black hair, and then continue twisting the hair like with normal dreads. Seal.

4: Wrap the black hair around the left out red hair by wrapping upwards, then continue to twist the black hair like normal. Seal.

I've also got another method that I used when making three-coloured transitions. It works in basically the same way as the above method, but you wrap downwards and add more hair as you go:

*backcomb the two pieces of hair of the length you want to use (if you want half black and half red, take half red and half black).

*Start twisting the top colour as with a normal dread. When you're about halfway down, add one tip of the bottom colour. Start wrapping the top colour around the bottom colour for about 7-8 cm.

*Twist the two colors together for as long you want the transition to be, leaving a piece of top colour hair loose at the bottom of the twist togwther with the bottom colour.

*Wrap bottom colour around the loose piece of top colour. Twist the hair rund and round until you run out of hair. Seal the dread.

Last edited by Miss Kitten on Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

ultra_manic
Private

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you soooo much, I have been trying to fing a tutorial on transitionals for a while posting on livejournal and ezboard to no avail.

Purity
Sergeant

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you're welcome hope you have any luck with it!

Janet: My feet! I can't move my feet!
Dr Scott: My wheels! My God, I can't move my wheels!
Brad: It's as if we're glued to the spot!
Frank: You are! So quake with fear, you tiny fools!

CyberFox
Corporal

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:24 am Post subject: Yay

Yay,
I needed that tutorial very much..
Thankies

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

GotherellaBioVenom

Re: How to make Transitional Dreads by Purity

Post by GotherellaBioVenom » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:51 am

This makes it seem soooooo much easier...been wanting to try to make transitionals but seemed so confusing

Thanks! :D
...][... Drunk With Sin ...][...

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Re: How to make Transitional Dreads by Purity

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:36 am

Does anyone have any pix of finished dreads done this way?
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

Return to “Extended Dreadlocks”