Long Hand Tied Wefts?

robyndoe

Long Hand Tied Wefts?

Post by robyndoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:13 am

I've searched unsuccessfully here and on youtube (still searching there) for a tutorial on how to make extra long hand tied wefts. I liked the tutorial of the hand tied ones on the fishing line, but they were folded in half. So is there an easy way to tie it with it only having about an inch on one side? In theory it seems working with so little on one side would be difficult and it would be hard to hold onto. Basically, I'm trying to make a weft out of synthetic, but with the technique used for human hair, but can't find videos. I'm trying for hair almost to the bottom of my ribs when slightly curled.

Is there a weight issue I need to worry about?
Can these wefts be put in with microrings? (again, a weight issue?)

Also, best type of synthetic?

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Long Hand Tied Wefts?

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:53 am

I think you'll have to sew wefts for this. I don't really have answers to the other questions.

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:07 am

If it had to be sewn, does that mean there's no such thing as hand tied human hair wefts? (honestly asking, not being sarcastic) I thought you couldn't fold HH in half when making wefts, but if they don't tie it for the same reason, then I guess that makes sense.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:14 am

When you sew them at home, I don't think there's any folding. Maybe I'm wrong. If you look at machine wefted human hair it is turned over, but only by an inch or so. You *could* tie human hair wefts at home by only folding over the top inch or so just like the machine wefts. Now I've found that synthetic hair weft presents in both fashions--folded in half and only folded an inch. Just depends. Making them by hand, it'd be easiest to fold in half, but that's not an option for length.

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:39 am

When you say you've seen the synth done both ways, do you mean as sewn or hand tied? And I've never made sewn wefts but I thought the hair was sewn in the middle to a fabric, then folded in half and sewn again. But I'd imagine there's several ways to do it.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:11 am

robyndoe wrote:When you say you've seen the synth done both ways, do you mean as sewn or hand tied?
I mean done by machine.

Actually sewing of wefts at home doesn't rely on fabric at all. It's very involved actually. There's a tut out there some where...

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqgEr_C-kE

Here's the tut I saw on sewing wefts. I just wanted hand tied because it seems like it would be lighter and more natural looking. And that would be easy enough... if I could manage to get the length I want. I just did a rough measure... trying to get about 30-34 inches. (measured from where I'd put the highest weft to where I want it to stop)

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 am

Edited out early morning ramblings. I checked the hair I was looking at using and can't quite get the length I'm looking for.

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:41 am

Anyone know of any detailed tutorials for this? Maybe I can alter things a bit and make it work. I saw one video on youtube about doing this with fishing line, but it's very hard for me to see how it's wrapped and there's nothing in there about finishing the product.

starlight

Post by starlight » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:48 pm

Do you really need it as weft? If you're using microrings to install I'd just tip the hair and install it as individual pieces. Might be a little more time consuming to install & remove, but I'd guess making a decent weft yourself is not an easy task!

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:15 am

starlight wrote:Do you really need it as weft? If you're using microrings to install I'd just tip the hair and install it as individual pieces. Might be a little more time consuming to install & remove, but I'd guess making a decent weft yourself is not an easy task!

I'm actually hoping to do clip in initially. If I decide that I want to commit to extensions further, then I could do microrings. But I was concerned that so much hair would weigh to heavily on my scald and my own strands that it would pull my hair out. :(

From what I've seen, making a weft doesn't seem so bad. Actually that tutorial above seems pretty simple. But, I need to alter it and I'm not sure how.

Shedandy

Post by Shedandy » Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 am

You should be fine hand tieing so long as you use really small sections of hair and get its tight.
Also you dont have to use fishing line, thread is probably better. Either some thick thick thread like the stuff they use for sewing denim or normal thread but doubled or tripled over.
This be my Facebook dreads page ^_^ Feel free to add me
http://www.facebook.com/shedandys

mokipono

Post by mokipono » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Sorry this is so late by about a year and a half........
Hope it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDfya-fX9JQ&NR=1

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks for the vid! I ended up just learning to sew a weft and glued them in. I wore the hair braided and it was so long I had to move it before sitting (approx. 34 inches with a curl at the bottom). It wasn't too heavy and blended pretty well. I think my total investment was about $7, but I spent a lot of time on it. Wish I would have gotten pictures!

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”