Liquid Gold

IKickShins

Liquid Gold

Post by IKickShins » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:44 am

When I posted show-offs of my purple and blonde loose extensions on a few forums earlier this month, a lot of people asked about how well the Liquid Gold held, how it was to remove, etc. I just took them out tonight, so here's my post to answer everyone.

This is the hair I'm talking about: European Caucasian Weaving human hair wefts in #6, #27, and purple, installed with Liquid Gold in my naturally #6 hair.

Installation
I admittedly ignored both the instructions that came with the Liquid Gold and the instructions on Doc Locks' tutorials. I washed my hair with the Liquid Gold shampoo once instead of several times like the instructions say to do.. mostly because I was impatient.

I put glue on the wefts, but not on my real hair. I applied them immediately, held them in place a few seconds, and blasted them with the hair dryer. The instructions for Liquid Gold say to put glue on your real hair as well, and the Doc Locks tutorial involves gluing more hair on top and putting extra glue on the sides. I intentionally skipped those steps because I'd heard horror stories about glue that refused to dissolve, and I didn't want to be stuck with them in case I messed up or something :)

Wear and Tear
After having them in for two days, the ends of one of the wefts in the back came up about an inch. I touched them up with glue and blasted them with a hair dryer again. This happened pretty much every day -- I'd have a tiny bit come loose, fix it up, and the rest would be fine.

Last Sunday, after having them in for 10 days, I woke up to find a good 50% of the tracks seperated from my hair. I re-glued them all, but they came loose so badly between Sunday and today that I had two pieces come out when I was brushing my hair this morning -- and I was brushing it pretty gently.

Removal
I pulled most of the hair off without using remover because so much of it was loose today. Some of the sections that had been recently re-glued were still attached really well, so I used remover on those as well as the two pieces at the nape of my neck. The two pieces at the nape of my neck were stuck as strong as the day I put them in, and I never touched them up. I think its because they got a lot less abuse from styling and such.

The remover worked in a few seconds -- I just put it along the glued areas, wiggled the wefts around a little, and they slid right off. Thumbs up for the removal process.

The Verdict
If I learned nothing else from the past 10 days, its *follow the instructions!*
I don't think the instructions that come with Liquid Gold are enough to have lasting extensions, though -- they're like the bare minimum. I am going to do another set in October and try gluing more of my hair on top and twisting some glue into the ends to keep them from coming loose as easily. I am very pleased with the remover. It worked almost immediately and the glue residue left in my hair came out very easily.
Last edited by IKickShins on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

ANNloses

Re: Liquid Gold

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:56 am

What a great testimony! I'm one to usually skip out on steps as well. :oops:

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:29 am

Hey Sarah - Did you notice if the bottle was the old or new formula? I had posted in a thread regarding the differences on the old forum and had been meaning to here.

I kinda think that this must be the new formula as the old formula really did hold regardless of the gluing on the top and extra on sides - I like to think of those as optional safeguards.

-Doc
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:28 am

I think it was the new formula.. from what everyone's said about the old formula, there's no way the stuff I used was the same.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 am

How do you know the difference between the old and new formula? Are the bottles different?

Gorey

Post by Gorey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:13 am

thanks for letting us know how it went :) im glad to hear about how well the remover went :)
formaly known as GoreyGlamour
known as GoreyFashionFaggot on vf.com
known as Sushi. on Specktra.net

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:47 am

The new bottles do say "new formula" on them. It makes me a sad girl. :(
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Do they still sell the old formula or is it just the new stuff now? I was thinking of installing wefts into my hair but now I'm thinking I might try something else.

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:31 pm

See the post *GOOD NEWS ON LIQUID GOLD ORIGINAL FORMULA*

YAY!!

Purity

Post by Purity » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:15 am

I've installed wefts on a friend with liquid gold, and they started to slip after just a couple of days. The sollution: Liquid gold bond sealer. It's like a gel that you brush onto the bonds after the glue has dried, and then after each time you have washed your hair. It's a bit time consuming, but so worth it; the extensions stayed put until she decided to take them out several weeks later!
There's more to life than hair, but it's a good place to start

dangducks

Post by dangducks » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 pm

About two and half weeks ago I put in some wefts using liquid gold and a hair dryer(hot tools). I did wash my hair normally the day before. In the two weeks I washed my hair four times, curled it alot and brushed it a couple of times a day. Mostly they held up okay, I had one that I needed to re-bond but not the whole thing. I did notice that my head itched like crazy the first couple of days but, after that it was alright.

I did the sides of my head using the doctored locs method of glue weft, glue a little hair onto the weft etc. WORKED OUT GREAT! No lifting of any of the wefts from my hair and the wefts were pretty hard to see. I didn't do the back of my hair with the same method, though if I had I imagine I would've kept them in longer.

However.
Removing the ones glued liked that was pretty difficult. My entire head was saturated with the remover (icky) and still those bonds on the sides weren't coming out. So I used my blow dryer and alot of patience to get them out. Once they were out I washed my hair twice with dawn dishwashing liquid to remove the oil and, then shampooed and conditioned as normal. My hair is pretty thick naturally so, I'm not really seeing any thinning from those bonds. I did shed like crazy though, so there's still hair sticking to things in the bathroom.

I would use this method again but, only if someone can tell me a way of getting the glue off the wefts. Currently the wefts are stewing in my kitchen sink with the liquid remover and schwartzkopf conditioner. The glue is definitely loosing up but, isn't exactly falling off or anything. So, any help on how to salvage the wefts would be appreciated!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:24 pm

I didn't make much of an effort to get the glue off. The instructions for Liquid Gold say that it will stick to the glue even if its dry, so I'm hoping it won't be too big a deal if there's old glue on there the next time I install them. I haven't had a chance to reuse them yet, though, so I'm not sure how that'll work. We shall see!

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 pm

Just a quick note, we now have both kinds of liquid gold in stock (old formula AND new formula).
I haven't had a chance to add it to the website, so just specify in any order notes if you need the old formula. It will be added to the site as a permanent item shortly.

Thanks!
Doc

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”