micro ring bang/fringe w/ kk silky?

starzphalling

micro ring bang/fringe w/ kk silky?

Post by starzphalling » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:13 pm

So I am looking through my options of how to add color to black bangs/fringe. I'm a complete hair newb so logically my plan works but I need to know if it works practically.

I was thinking of using kk silky and I-tipping it myself. Looking at this method purely for the ease of install/uninstall and cheapness factor. I know I am not interested in using glue and clip ins and I do not get along well, mostly because I have come to the conclusion that my head is too round for headbands to cover the edge, it just falls right off (the headband).....I can pin the crap out of it but still every time I move my head it slips a little more...seriously I can't wear headbands, I feel so left out - but I digress.

Now the questions I have are:
1. can I tip kk silky or will I end up with a melted gob of funky plastic which will result in me feeling a little daft?
1a. which way would be the best to tip them, I saw a tut that used synthetic w/ no tip just folded over, and then I watched a couple more with a bunch of different ways to tip hair, but I think they were all using hh
2. how much hair do you need over a micro ring to hide it?
3. is there a general length you can't go under for micro rings, or is it go as short as you want as long as it falls right?
4. do you generally want to go with a micro ring to match either the extension or the base hair, or is clear generally better (I've seen a few clear, but not a lot)? all in all if base hair is black, go with clear or black micro-rings, or it really doesn't matter

I want to go this way because I change my mind entirely too much to bleach and dye, and there are days I need to be conservatively presentable, so the less permanent the better. The other thing I feel is worth it to mention is that I wouldn't be looking at longevity at all - leaving them in a few days at a time type thing. I think that's all I have for now.

madebs666

Re: micro ring bang/fringe w/ kk silky?

Post by madebs666 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:23 pm

I have answered the best I can (hoping I understand what you mean)
starzphalling wrote:
Now the questions I have are:
1. can I tip kk silky or will I end up with a melted gob of funky plastic which will result in me feeling a little daft?

Yes you can, If you are tipping for micro rings, no heat is required, just hair glue (keratin like salon gold if possible) and a little rolling to make it round once the glue is almost set.

1a. which way would be the best to tip them, I saw a tut that used synthetic w/ no tip just folded over, and then I watched a couple more with a bunch of different ways to tip hair, but I think they were all using hh

For human Hair, I just usually get the amount of hair I need and cut on end of the hair so it is straight. that is the end I dip in the glue. this would work for KK too.

2. how much hair do you need over a micro ring to hide it?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'over' and 'hide' the micro ring? the round tips you made in step one go inside the micro ring with a piece of your hair, which you then clamp down with the pliers to fuse together

3. is there a general length you can't go under for micro rings, or is it go as short as you want as long as it falls right?

Again, not sure what you mean here but you could technically have it as short as you like, obviously still allowing for the 1cmish of glued part needed to enter the micro ring.

4. do you generally want to go with a micro ring to match either the extension or the base hair, or is clear generally better (I've seen a few clear, but not a lot)? all in all if base hair is black, go with clear or black micro-rings, or it really doesn't matter

Either way it will still stand out if you have say black hair and a red extension. Micro-rings are worn under the hair so shouldn't really be visible anyway.

You cannot get micro-links in clear as they are made of metal. You can use Shrinkies which are clear but due to the fact you need heat to attach these you will probably melt the kk doing so.

I want to go this way because I change my mind entirely too much to bleach and dye, and there are days I need to be conservatively presentable, so the less permanent the better. The other thing I feel is worth it to mention is that I wouldn't be looking at longevity at all - leaving them in a few days at a time type thing. I think that's all I have for now.
Micro-links for a few days, Is probably a lot more effort than you think, unless you are only installing say 5-10 pieces (enough for a flash of colour in a fringe).

One other note - KK Silky is only really useable for temporary installations as it can get very tangly, very fast. It also just doesn't look like real hair, more like dolls hair. I would suggest Micro-fibre hair or even a cheap human Hair would be better (if you don't wash it often) if money is an issue.

starzphalling

Post by starzphalling » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 am

thanks a bunch for the answers, pretty much what i was looking for.

In the part that I asked about hiding it i'll try to explain it a little better.

You put in the micro-ring which, if you have no hair covering the installation will be more than quite obvious it's there. What is a suitable amount of hair (the stuff you grew out of your head) to cover the installation of the micro-ring. I'm really having a hard time of thinking of it in any other terms. Please someone decode this for me and make it English, I'm horrible at describing things, normally result to "ya know, the thingy that goes in the thingy with the thingamagic attached....sorry lol

YumBerry

Post by YumBerry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:45 pm

If you're matching the microrings to your hair color then the amount of hair needed to cover the rings doesn't need to be a lot, it can be a thin layer of hair just over and the rings will blend in but not too thin!

starzphalling

Post by starzphalling » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 pm

awesome, thanks.

i have generally thick hair and a ton of it, so now i can stop panicking and go forth and experiment :p

thanks again.

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”