How to cut synthetic hair?

Astrume

How to cut synthetic hair?

Post by Astrume » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:04 am

i tried looking around the forum to see if anyone posted something like this and didn't find anything. If i over looked a topic, i'm sorry :i10:

i want to start making my own colorful wigs/extensions just to jazz my hair up from time to time. Since i'm a poor college student, i'm using synthetic hair and i bought Heat-Resistant synthetic hair wefts ( it's says it's a modified fiber "neo-tura" ) However, they're much MUCH longer than i thought and i want to cut them. i read different blogs/articles/ect on the web and some people suggest letting a hair stylist cut it (synthetic hair can't be cut like human hair) while others said to just cut it like human hair, never really explaining how they do it.

Since the whole purpose of me making a wig is to have fun with styling it, i would rather cut the extensions myself. Has anyone had any luck on cutting loose synthetic hair, and if so how did you do it? Does it make a difference if it's Heat-Resistant or not?

Thanks in advance for any/all of your advice!
"The most beautiful things emerge from chaos...I don't even know what that word 'chaos' means, you know? Chaos appose to what, order? When is there order anywhere?" -- Esperanza Spalding

UrbanHairDesigns

Re: How to cut synthetic hair?

Post by UrbanHairDesigns » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:23 am

Hello, There is a razor comb that you can get from sallys for about $6 It is amazing. I use it all the time. No matter what kind of wig I am cutting, I always use this. Razors are the best way to cut wigs because your can cut the shape without lines unlike scissors. The link for it is here: http://www.sallybeauty.com/razor-comb/S ... =Hair12-05 HIH :D
http://www.ModernSophistication.com
Tailor made hair additions

Astrume

Post by Astrume » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:01 pm

So, All i need is a razor comb? Sweet! i used one of those before so cutting this is going to be super easy . . .

Thanks for the tip! :D
"The most beautiful things emerge from chaos...I don't even know what that word 'chaos' means, you know? Chaos appose to what, order? When is there order anywhere?" -- Esperanza Spalding

UrbanHairDesigns

Post by UrbanHairDesigns » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:49 am

Let me know how it works out. :D
http://www.ModernSophistication.com
Tailor made hair additions

kitcupcake

Post by kitcupcake » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Seconded. Razors are the best way to cut any type of hair, period. :D

I will add that you should always cut very small amounts and work your way to the point you want. You might decide you like them sticking a half inch out from under your real hair to make it pop a bit more, or you might want them blended completely in. You can always cut it more later, but if you cut too much off then you're pretty well screwed. I know it sounds like a no-brainer but don't be afraid to take your time!

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”