Have any of you ever installed your own individuals?

xdnyhair

Have any of you ever installed your own individuals?

Post by xdnyhair » Sun May 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello again everybody :)

So after going through an especially messy glue-in weft removal process, I'm not sure if I want to try glue again!

I had fusions installed once upon a time but they ended up being a waste of money because my stylist didn't know WHAT she was doing and should've known my hair was far too short - I ended up removing them the same night with pliers and a bottle of nail polish remover :( Obviously I don't want to go through that disappointment (and waste of money!) again, so I'm wondering if it's possible to do your own fusions, microlinks, or even pinchbraids? I'm thinking that, if I learn how to do my own head, with Doc's "tip your own hair" tutorial, I might be able to save a lot of money.

Something I really loved about gluing in wefts is having total control over where I put them in, how many I put in, my dying process, etc. Being able to put them in and take them out whenever I wanted was really nice.

Maybe all it takes is a good set of mirrors and a lot of patience? I don't know, does anybody have experience with this?

Couture_Coiffure

Re: Have any of you ever installed your own individuals?

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Sun May 29, 2011 11:43 pm

Instead of gluing in the wefts, have you thought about making them clip-ins?

Pinch braiding was actually the first form of extensions I taught myself, and practice a lot on Barbie. :lol: Her tiny head actually allowed me to get used to making small braids and all that. Which lead to braiding pretty much everything I could get my hands on into hair. :mrgreen:

It does take practice and patience; start with lower grade hair or even thread, just so you get the hang of the braiding. Once that is conquered, you are good to go.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

xdnyhair

Post by xdnyhair » Tue May 31, 2011 3:59 pm

Wow, I never thought of practicing on Barbie! You just saved me from spending $60 on a practice head, haha, thanks!

I actually did clip-ins for years before I started gluing in. I got tired of having to do them every morning and night, and heard a few horror stories about bald patches caused by irritation from the clips.

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue May 31, 2011 7:22 pm

No problem. While doing braids on Barbie isn't like doing braids on your own head, just getting your fingers into a decent flow and used to working on a small scale really does help.

Ah, I can understand that. Hopefully this will be a good adventure for your and your hair. :)
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 pm

Doing it yourself is always an option, you would just need to be very careful of your angles so you don't do any damage.

xdnyhair

Post by xdnyhair » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 am

Thanks Doc! I've been watching your videos all the time to try and prepare myself, haha.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 am

I know lots of people do microrings by themselves; maybe a good option to exploit as well as pinch braids.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:32 am

I've done my own microrings before, but only at the front. It's so tricky :(

space_waste

Post by space_waste » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 pm

I disagree, I do my own microrings all the time & it's the easiest thing ever once you get the knack. It'll take some time the first time round, after that, it'll be much quicker than pinch braids

theextensionist

Post by theextensionist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:39 pm

I would not even dream of doing my own micro rings!! Especially in the back. It is just an awkward angle and could result in the extension sticking out, or hair being pulled and cause damage. The only method I ever applied myself, which is extremely easy, is the skin weft tape extension method. But it does always look more natural and does less damage when applied by a professional.

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”