Shapeshifter question!

mandikat

Shapeshifter question!

Post by mandikat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to bulk up my hair a bit (it's relatively strong after a few coats of henna, but it's only a smidge past shoulder length) for my wedding.. I've had long hair most of my life (well, from 7th grade to college graduation, anyway), and I'm hoping to get it fairly long and thick so I can do a half-updo with loose curls underneath my veil.

I've decided on shapeshifter monofiber, and I'm leaning towards microrings. I'll most likely get 24" and razor it off a bit to make it look more natural, so it'll be a smidge shorter than that.

How many packs of hair should I get for one full head? I've never installed them before (I've only done synth dreads), and I'll take all the information I can get. Please throw any tips/tricks/hints/cheats/warnings my way!

Thanks so much. Seriously, I'm so happy that this forum exists.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

MrsEss

Re: Shapeshifter question!

Post by MrsEss » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 pm

You'll have to pre tip the hair yourself. Either with liquid gold or keratin glue. I did mine with Keratin glue & a heat clamp. It's time assuming & fiddly. I used 1/2 a packet & got a handful of tipped sections. I only want them for the front if my head & eventually, I will put them in.

It depends really on how thick you make your tips, how thick your hair is & how big your head is. Microrings can be heavy, Rivet Licker only had some at the front of her head & she said it was a fair bit of weight. I'm sure I've read somewhere that you need around 150 for a head.

Depending on what you're doing with your hair, maybe weft would be a better idea. Saying that, you could weft the shapeshifter hair using a sewing machine.

Oooh, using MAGICAL google, it's uh-mazing what you can find ;)
For hair weft under 18 inches, one packet is enough for full head. Over 18 inches, you should need more the one. If a hairdresser is doing your hair it is advisable to check with them as to how much you require for the hairstyle.
For the pre bonded hair, you should need 150-200 strands.Once again this depends on the style
Pre-glued pre tipped hair extensions are easy to apply since the glue is already in place. At the end of the hair is a protein tip shaped like a fingertip. You melt the glue with the fusing tool. Save time by not having to do any cutting or weft removing. Shedding is almost eliminated as every piece has glue on it. Glue section is much smaller and lays flatter. Less glue means less breakage and tension.

For a full head of pre-tipped extensions you'll need between 150 and 200, the latter if you want your hair to look much thicker. 150 will look full but natural.

Hair can be reused. Remove the pre tipped piece with remover, cut off the glue tip and use your glue gun with adhesive sticks to reapply. The protein tipped glue does not burn your fingers.
Source(s):
http://www.nychairsalon.com
http://www.hairextensionsalon.com
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Wow, thank you so much!
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 pm

NP, I do't know a lot about loose extensions. But yeah, what I do know I share :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Tipping is not necessary for installing Shapeshifter. Since it is not human hair, you do not have to worry about a cuticle. The easiest way to install it is to fold it in half.

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/In ... orial.html

Making wefts is also another great option!

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Ho ... orial.html

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote: It depends really on how thick you make your tips, how thick your hair is & how big your head is. Microrings can be heavy, Rivet Licker only had some at the front of her head & she said it was a fair bit of weight. I'm sure I've read somewhere that you need around 150 for a head.
Yeah, there was quite a bit of weight at first. I did end up losing a fair amount of hair upon removal because the glue stuck to some of the rings. I only had 36 SS extensions.

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks!

Erm.. I hope I'm not being really dumb right now, but how long can you keep wefts in? Do you install them in the morning and take them out at night, or can you leave them in like synth dreads?
-Mister Rogers

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 am

I've used the folded method with microrings and it's fab, but a pain if you're trying to do the back yourself.

My vote would be using/making a weft and sewing some wig clips on for a set of clip-ins!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:52 am

mandikat wrote: I hope I'm not being really dumb right now, but how long can you keep wefts in? Do you install them in the morning and take them out at night, or can you leave them in like synth dreads?
If you have them installed, than you can leave them in up to 3 months. If you do them as a clip set you would take them out at night and put them in when you get ready in the morning.

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

remeber if you use the folded in half/ micro ring method, that if you want your hair to be 24 inches long, you'll need to order 48 inch hair. if you folded 24 inch in half you would end up with 12 inch hair.

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Gotcha! Thanks!
-Mister Rogers

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”