Dread Making Stations

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Dread Making Stations

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:08 am

So this may seem odd but I am curious.
And this would belong in most of the sections but I decided to put it here as synth dreads seem to be most popular.

Would you be willing to post a picture of where you make your dreads?

Every dread maker has their own setup but I was curious what you lovely ladies found works best.

I have seen many interesting contraptions and such and well keep changing my setup to cut down on noise and pain.

Later when I show off my new dreads I shall show off my new back brushing station in all its glory :lol:
Can't wait to see ^^
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

rivetlicker_

Re: Dread Making Stations

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:12 am

There was a thread like this somewhere *goes to find it*

Eh, can't find it...

BRB, gonna go take new pikchurs xD.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:35 am

Yay!

When I wake up I get to see where Lara makes magic happen 8-)
Psylita Sukkubus

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:52 am

i use the couch, a hanger and a chair next tot he couch to set all muh tools on! :lol: very very high tech stuff 8-)
<<Giggles, Lollipops && Firearms>>

Cyan1deCandy Dreads

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:10 am

My couch would be multicolored if I made dreads on it :lol

I know I usually am after making some :p
Psylita Sukkubus

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:02 am

I don't have any good pictures of it, but mine is a towel rack with a hook taped onto one end and a pencil sticking straight off the side (same side as the hook). I hang SEs or clip DEs with binder clips to the hook while I backcomb, then leave them hanging on the pencil while I work on more. About 10 dreads will fit on the pencil at a time, so it's how I keep track of how far along I am. Once it's full I move the dreads elsewhere. I can't remember what prompted me to try that in the first place, but I've had the pencil/hook/towel rack thing going on as long as I've been making dreads.. which is like 8 years now.

The other side of the towel rack is perfect for hanging loose kk so that it doesn't tangle up while I'm working. I also use the rack for loose falls -- mainly just a spot to hang the hair while I'm getting out additional colors for streaks and such. The hook's also good for hanging braids and twists off of, and in my current apartment I'm lucky enough to have an outlet directly underneath my station, so I can plug in a braid sealer, steamer, straightener, hair dryer, etc right there.

Next to the rack, I've got a little shelf thing with combs, a Quick Beader (for transitionals), scissors, rubberbands, etc. That way in between backcombing one dread and sectioning the next, I've got somewhere handy to set my comb down.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:04 am

ikickshins wrote:I don't have any good pictures of it, but mine is a towel rack with a hook taped onto one end and a pencil sticking straight off the side (same side as the hook). I hang SEs or clip DEs with binder clips to the hook while I backcomb, then leave them hanging on the pencil while I work on more. About 10 dreads will fit on the pencil at a time, so it's how I keep track of how far along I am. Once it's full I move the dreads elsewhere. I can't remember what prompted me to try that in the first place, but I've had the pencil/hook/towel rack thing going on as long as I've been making dreads.. which is like 8 years now.

The other side of the towel rack is perfect for hanging loose kk so that it doesn't tangle up while I'm working. I also use the rack for loose falls -- mainly just a spot to hang the hair while I'm getting out additional colors for streaks and such. The hook's also good for hanging braids and twists off of, and in my current apartment I'm lucky enough to have an outlet directly underneath my station, so I can plug in a braid sealer, steamer, straightener, hair dryer, etc right there.

Next to the rack, I've got a little shelf thing with combs, a Quick Beader (for transitionals), scissors, rubberbands, etc. That way in between backcombing one dread and sectioning the next, I've got somewhere handy to set my comb down.
Tell me... You do sit or stand whilst backcombing? :P (I sit on the couch, but I sometimes stand if I need to do it quicker).
Yes! You must take pics of your new apartment's rig! We're only familiar with your old one's :(

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14 am

I stand. I've tried sitting before and I've found that it's way easier on my back if I'm standing (which I know makes no sense), plus I'm WAY faster at backcombing that way. I wear running shoes while I work too. I've found that that makes it much more comfortable.

My work room is a mess right now but if I get a chance to make it presentable tomorrow I'll take some pictures. It's been pretty much the same in the last 6 places I've lived but it's not particularly pretty so it doesn't get a lot of camera time ;P
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 am

ikickshins wrote:I stand. I've tried sitting before and I've found that it's way easier on my back if I'm standing (which I know makes no sense), plus I'm WAY faster at backcombing that way. I wear running shoes while I work too. I've found that that makes it much more comfortable.

My work room is a mess right now but if I get a chance to make it presentable tomorrow I'll take some pictures. It's been pretty much the same in the last 6 places I've lived but it's not particularly pretty so it doesn't get a lot of camera time ;P
Ahh, so you're basically on your feet all day. No wonder I can't make as many dreads as you standing up (or even sitting down!), can't stand on my feet for more than hour without my legs starting to buckle.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 am

mine is usually just a dining room chair, with a shoe lace tied across the back and i do the dreads (SE and DE) over the shoe lace. once each dread has been back combed, they're slid along and clipped to the side out of the way until i have 10-15 dreads and then they're steamed. hair that has been sectioned out for a dread is just draped over the chair seat.

i have in the past used the playpen that i used to use for my rats but it takes up a lot of room.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:29 pm

I never thought of trying to stand while backbrushing!

My back hurt last night after backbrushing only one packet :lol:

Sad I know!

I use a simple fold away dry rack to hang my wet roving on and usually a hanger for backbrushed KK.

My ironing/steaming station is a shelf covered in a towel on a kitchen table chair with a weight to hold the dread and usually end up doing that on the couch because outlets are very rare in my house :lol:

Thanks everyone so far for sharing ^^
Psylita Sukkubus

Dollylox

Post by Dollylox » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Mine is pretty simple really..
Ironing board,
Pegs,
Measuring tape,
Strong comb with fine and large teeth (for backcombing),
Rattail comb (for poking holes for transitionals),
Scissors,
Steamer & steamer cup.

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:17 pm

Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:mine is usually just a dining room chair, with a shoe lace tied across the back and i do the dreads (SE and DE) over the shoe lace. once each dread has been back combed, they're slid along and clipped to the side out of the way until i have 10-15 dreads and then they're steamed. hair that has been sectioned out for a dread is just draped over the chair seat.
Exactly what I do, but instead of shoe lace, I use a piece of elastic :)
More human than human

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:31 pm

Hanger around my legs with hair latch knoted around for back brushing on my couch in this pic

When back brushing the broken hanger makes a great storage for back brushed dreads.

Board wrapped in towel on a table in front of couch with a weight and an iron to steam

Drying rack makes it easier to dry my drippy dreads and throw un sealed ones on top

I use a simple setup that is easy to hide because I have a very small apartment ^^
Psylita Sukkubus

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:53 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:There was a thread like this somewhere *goes to find it*

Eh, can't find it...

BRB, gonna go take new pikchurs xD.
Was checking to see if there was a thread for mounting Falls and founf the original thread :oops: should really skim through threads when I think I have a great topic :lol:

Here it is

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3369
Psylita Sukkubus

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 pm

my hubby welded together this contraption for me:

So I sit on the couch & work at it. He also made me a skeleton hand hook gimmick that I hang the hair off of once I take it out of the package. Umm...
here it is:
I also use some shelves next to this to hold hair, there are poles that stick up off the top of them... I tend to have a lot of open packages at any given time. If I stop working with a color I just rubber band it & hang it off the poles on the shelves and then take down & hang from the hands as I'm working w/that color.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 pm

CherryLex wrote:my hubby welded together this contraption for me:

So I sit on the couch & work at it. He also made me a skeleton hand hook gimmick that I hang the hair off of once I take it out of the package. Umm...
here it is:
I also use some shelves next to this to hold hair, there are poles that stick up off the top of them... I tend to have a lot of open packages at any given time. If I stop working with a color I just rubber band it & hang it off the poles on the shelves and then take down & hang from the hands as I'm working w/that color.
Your so very lucky to have a hubby that welds awesome contraptions for you ^^
Psylita Sukkubus

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:45 am

Here's mine:

Can't tell in the picture but the basket thing actually has little partitions in it. One section's full of tint brushes, one has regular brushes, combs, and my Quick Beader, and one's got miscellaneous stuff (like the pipe I use to make curlies).

The measuring tape is tacked to the wall so I can be precise about dread lengths.

Coat rack is for opened bags of hair.. the rest of the room that picture was taken in has floor to ceiling shelving for the unopened packs :P

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:56 pm

^ You're so organized! I'm jealous! I'm scattered all over the house :lol:
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:15 am

It's misleading. There are 5 boxes of cyberlox piled up in my living room right now and a big box of rexlace that's currently making access to the laundry room a bit of a challenge ;P

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:04 am

I am either downstairs at my computer watching hulu or something, my computer desk drawer has a metal thing inside it so the drawer does not come all the way out and I hook a hanger around it. Its great for single enders.....

Or I am upstairs on my couch and use my coffee table with a practice arrow that I removed the fins on, sometimes I use the bungee to secure it or will tape the ends so it doesnt slide. Its perfect size for the loops of single enders, and if these clothes pin things I have I can easily secure for DE's.

And I have all kinds of candle holders and a plant holder laying around that I have yet to find places for that I keep my hair/wool on and a couple plastic shoe boxes for all kinds of odds and ends.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:16 am

My roving station is well my counter and sink and the drying rack makes another appearance
{Excuse the dirty kitchen :shock: }

Psylita Sukkubus

synthetiquite

Post by synthetiquite » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

I actually use a guitar stand to make my dreads, or my small bedside table to make falls (Which funnily enough is in my living room) I have an extra sofa in my living room to make dreads. :)

foximusprime

Post by foximusprime » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:18 pm

mine is the end of my bed, i've got a length of fabric tied to it securely and i tend to use a few clips to secure the hair to the fabric for backcombing and sealing. for curling dreads i use the pole off a mop (unused btw and not attached) i can usually get around ten finished dreads there ready for boiling water to be poured over. i'm doing a couple of separate kits at the moment so have twok'd one of our clothes horse dryers to let the finished dreads rest. I'll try taking a pic of it all later.
blah blah blah

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”