Dread Making Stations

Antikia

Re: Dread Making Stations

Post by Antikia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 am

Mine's similar to Dollylox' only I hot iron mine and I have my SE's around a coathanger on a door handle close to my station. Kinda hard to explain but works just fine
* Antikia @ VF & Blackmarket.dk

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:34 pm

For the backcombing stage, I have two old dining chairs with spindle backs. I have attached the hairbands that fasten the bottom of a pack of jumbo all the way down the spindles using larks-head knots. I then set up the hair for a full set of dreads before I start. Doing it all at once this way helps me regulate the sizes well and shows me how long it takes just to section the packs of hair- usually about 90mins for a set of 100 SEs. Then I backcomb for England until they are all ready to seal.

To seal them, I fill the kitchen sink with water and dreads (to the exasperation of my family!) and do them directly on the ironing board with my iron. I hang them on the wire end until I've done the lot, then lay them onto kitchen paper to dry out completely.

Somehow, no matter how organised I am, it still manages to cause an almighty mess but its far more orderly than I used to be and I can work out easily how far through a batch I am.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Nawtali

Post by Nawtali » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:47 pm

I just posted my dread making station on the swedish board.. so yeah, I guess I might as well post it here too. ^^

Watching movies while dreading FTW!
Huvudkorv on Facebook!
For international likes, updates & pictures! <3

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:10 am

Haha, I have noticed that all the Swedish hair makers have those IKEA sealing clips lying around xD

I bought 3 of those from ebay, cos I was too lazy to go out to the IKEA store and I found a pack of 20 at ALDI xD So I bought them. They're a bit different though.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:00 am

I get those at the dollar store, like 20 in 3 sizes for a buck o_0
Never thought about using them to dread :i2:
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:18 am

SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:I get those at the dollar store, like 20 in 3 sizes for a buck o_0
Two words. DOUBLE ENDERS.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:
SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:I get those at the dollar store, like 20 in 3 sizes for a buck o_0
Okay time for me to sound stupid....
But Lara I tie the half I'm not back brushing to a chair and the clip wouldn't fit around the chair so can you please explain how that would work :lol: :oops:
Psylita Sukkubus

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:13 am

SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:
Okay time for me to sound stupid....
But Lara I tie the half I'm not back brushing to a chair and the clip wouldn't fit around the chair so can you please explain how that would work :lol: :oops:
Go look at my rig again xD

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:18 am

Oh yeah oh course +facepalm+
I actually wrap the hair around the back of the chair itself instead of using a piece of fabric because whenever I make a clothes line it doesn't stay taught but I may try something else tomarrow :D

Still have 18 bags to backbrush before the weekend is out :i9:
Psylita Sukkubus

Nawtali

Post by Nawtali » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:37 pm

I honestly don't understand how you could possibly dread without sealing clips! xDD I luvs them! Ikea makes my life easier. The curtain hangers are from Ikea too xD lol
Huvudkorv on Facebook!

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:35 pm

I have a set of dreading pliers but I am going to steal some clips and see if i use them :p
Psylita Sukkubus

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:59 am

Nawtali wrote:I honestly don't understand how you could possibly dread without sealing clips! xDD I luvs them! Ikea makes my life easier. The curtain hangers are from Ikea too xD lol
I did for a very long time xD

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:56 am

Ikea is godly but thats OT XD
Psylita Sukkubus

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:35 am

I keep a bag of dread stuff so I can do it wherever I end up. (i'm at my boyfriends parents a lot cause there's no 'net at my house)

It's just a large tote bag that fits about 6 bags of hair comfortably, a pair of scissors, rubberbands, two combs, two pet brushes, a drop cloth for catching hair, a few of those wonderful, amazing extremely useful ikea clips, and a strip of fabric i cut from a tshirt.

I find a random chair or whatever has two parts I can tie the strip of fabric to. then i divide my hair and clip a section to the fabric, lay down my dropcloth so I don't make a mess and go from there.

I don't try to seal them at home because I don't have a stove and the hot plate doesn't get hot enough to boil water.

Until I found those ikea clips hiding in my drawer I really struggled for an efficient way to work. My original space was a metal hanger that I opened up and bent around the legs of a chair. I had to sit on the floor and it was really uncomfortable. I like my new setup much better.

bluexeon

Post by bluexeon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 pm

wow i feel really strange now, i use the smallest table in a chest of drawers, i put one of the legs under my thigh and work around the legs, il get a picture for you so it makes more sense lol

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:32 am

When it is up and running my station looks almost identical to Dollylox's EXCEPT I use an iron instead of a steamer. I also don't use any clips.
Usually, I only whip up ten or so dreads at a time (when doing this, I sit in my bedroom floor and do it). I only use my station for big sets or when I'm making them for someone else.
:)

madebs666

Post by madebs666 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:34 pm

I finally tidied up my station and got myself a tool box for storing all the littel bits in.

I use this for general hair extension messing around.

General Pic to show it all

Close ups of my table (It's an old computer desk I got given, so the shelf slides out nd I use for shoving things out of the way when I'm busy)

Close up of my dread 'stand' I've just found these massive caribena clips on sale for £1.00 from the corner shop and they are perfect as a dreading hook, I reckon I could fit ten dreads at a time on it.

Also shown on the left is single candle stick with a bowl on the top, now being used as a wig stand :lol: once I get myself a polystyrene head, I'm just going to take the candle off, and stick the head on the candle spike.

On the right is my 'weft hanger' that I made today. I got some tulle and just tied a ribbon around the top, then I just clip on my extensions, layered on top of each other, now I can always find them!and it keeps them neat.

The only thing I'm really missing is some hooks for the wall to hang my kanekelon on and some proper slides to hold the hair when sectioning, rather tha the clothes pegs I use now.

Nawtali

Post by Nawtali » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Wow, that weft hanger is so darn smart! xD Great job Madebs666! :)
Huvudkorv on Facebook!

pixychick

Re: Dread Making Stations--img heavy sorry

Post by pixychick » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:21 am

Sorry the pics are so big!! I don't know how to make pics smaller,i tried resizing in photobucket but it didnt work I'm new to photobucket as well

I'm still working on getting the right rig set up....
but this is what I have tried
This was my first attempt its a lap desk i duck taped a wire hanger to it. it worked fine but it was slow doing it one by one...
my second attempt was this

What I did was I had a random piece of wood and fabric from ike lying around, i covered the wood. then nailed in some of those picture hangers that are flat on one side and spikey on the other side and threaded? I guess some thick ribbon around the wood. This way you can work on several falls at once. I used my ironing board as a table. It worked just fine but the ironing board got in the way. plus I'm just going to use this as a travel board or something i dunno. it was a bit uncomfortable.
right now i am using this collapsable drying rack but i taped it so it wont collapse.

I just tied a ribbon on the rods to make SE's
the only thing with this though is its a bit wobbly so i am tryin to figure something out.
I have OCD and need to have everything organized.

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:09 pm

So now I have a dread making station. I tweaked it a bit here and there but so far I love it.
I used plastic stackable shelves and I screwed in some towl racks for DE's and to hold hair. I put all my hair into tupperware cases and put them into the two bottom shelves & cyberlox & rexlace into a tupperware on top shelf.For the rexlace I put the spools into an amazon box i had and cut little holes so i can just pull out what i needed, I thought that was nifty. lol
The first picture of my station I was still doing things my old way with a ribbon, then later I taped a large plastic hanger to the top rail and i can use the botton rail for DE's.
All my hair over 100 bags of hair into two tupperware boxes
my Crin
My rexlace
New set up with hanger
ImageImage
And I use a pant hanger where the bar pop out and snap back in to put the dreads on

I know i was the last one to post and am posting again on this but yeah just wanted to show how my hair making stations have evolved. LOL

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 pm

That is quite the station :o
Psylita Sukkubus

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:02 pm

SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:That is quite the station :o
yeah my OCD can take over sometimes

Cerkitboard

Post by Cerkitboard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm between flats at the moment, and I'm currently living with my nan, so dreadmaking is fairly difficult. Also I have quite bad problems with my knees and no chair, so finding a comfortable place to do dreads for long periods of time is really hard. But, in order to backcomb, I use the infamous plastic hanger, and sit on my bed with my legs outstretched.

Once I have a big bundle, I go to the end of my bed (it's a big queen sized oak thing so it's sturdy as hell with a big oak bar at the bottom) to which I belt the hanger to, cover everything with towels, and sit cross legged on the floor. I have no chair, no desk, and nothing as sturdy as my bed so I'm kind of stuck for the time being. So no photos as of yet... as it's not interesting. But when I have a nice place with a good rig, I will take photos!
Rajanadooagolawookienipplepinchy!

Shay Wynter

Post by Shay Wynter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Mine is actully a giant mess right now. I went dread crazy last night and spend almost all day making dreads, then I got really tired and didnt clean it up, which is fine cause I plan on going and making more in about a half hour or so.

so here are my pics of my mess i call a dread station lol

xShayxWynterx
Have Facebook? Add my little buisness as a friend.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/D.Obsession?ref=ts

BloodHoney

Post by BloodHoney » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:04 pm

I thought my station was pretty ingenious until I looked at all the pictures here! But I'll post mine anyway. It's an ironing board with a screwdriver stuck onto the side, and a clip tied onto the screwdriver by a shoelace. Classy stuff.

http://www.bloodhoney.net/wp-content/up ... 00x225.jpg

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”