Colours we all hate

Post Reply
User avatar
pixieparadox
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:45 am
Location: Denver Colorado USA
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by pixieparadox » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:40 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:Our Afro shops sell outré in only natural colours. It comes in yaki texture rather than jumbo and it is a bit on the silkier side. It mattes up nicely and seals well with steam though.

im having the same issue with the Lime and Neon as the yellow :( i have some jumbo black of the same brand and loved it.
"Come with me. Take my hand. I promise you, there's no promise land."

I HAVE A NEW SITE http://www.paradox-designs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pixieparadox

diversityhair
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by diversityhair » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Do i take it from the posts in this thread that bascially Buyhairs funky and natural colours are fine, but its the fantasy range thats a pain to seal?
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

User avatar
dreadviolet
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:26 am
Location: Tampere, Finland
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by dreadviolet » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:37 pm

diversityhair wrote:Do i take it from the posts in this thread that bascially Buyhairs funky and natural colours are fine, but its the fantasy range thats a pain to seal?
No. Funky is a pain too. At least compared to better brands. I never used anything of fantasy range though, but I've had enough difficulties with any of their hair, so I'll just rather avoid it.
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

User avatar
dare2wear
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by dare2wear » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:46 pm

diversityhair wrote:Do i take it from the posts in this thread that bascially Buyhairs funky and natural colours are fine, but its the fantasy range thats a pain to seal?
its a hit and miss and lately it has changed... ie blueberry used to be ok, but the ones i got last time are a blend of different colours than before and now its USELESS! -.-

diversityhair
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by diversityhair » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Hmmm this doesnt sound promising...

As ive said in another thread, its down the the dying process and the raw material they use for certain colours that makes them hard to seal. Its such a shame.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

Dreadalicious
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by Dreadalicious » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:52 am

I'm seriously hating fantasy light orchid, and baby blue from buyhairs range, They are completely rubbish!! won't seal no matter what I do, Don't think ill be buying from buyhiar again because there hair is so hard to work with compared to afrocare.

leviclementine
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:57 pm
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom.

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by leviclementine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:54 pm

Dreadalicious wrote:I'm seriously hating fantasy light orchid, and baby blue from buyhairs range, They are completely rubbish!! won't seal no matter what I do, Don't think ill be buying from buyhiar again because there hair is so hard to work with compared to afrocare.
I agree, Buyhair's Light Orchid is a true nightmare!

User avatar
[Phexxie]
Posts: 1344
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by [Phexxie] » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 pm

leviclementine wrote:
Dreadalicious wrote:I'm seriously hating fantasy light orchid, and baby blue from buyhairs range, They are completely rubbish!! won't seal no matter what I do, Don't think ill be buying from buyhiar again because there hair is so hard to work with compared to afrocare.
I agree, Buyhair's Light Orchid is a true nightmare!
here here, ordered a few packs last year and threw the lot in the bin, i made one.... thing, wouldnt even call it a dread
ive never known anything be so horrible to work with, almost 30 mins to backcomb and 5 seals later it was still a helixing mess 0_o

leviclementine
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:57 pm
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom.

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by leviclementine » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:56 pm

[Phexxie] wrote:
leviclementine wrote:
Dreadalicious wrote:I'm seriously hating fantasy light orchid, and baby blue from buyhairs range, They are completely rubbish!! won't seal no matter what I do, Don't think ill be buying from buyhiar again because there hair is so hard to work with compared to afrocare.
I agree, Buyhair's Light Orchid is a true nightmare!
here here, ordered a few packs last year and threw the lot in the bin, i made one.... thing, wouldnt even call it a dread
ive never known anything be so horrible to work with, almost 30 mins to backcomb and 5 seals later it was still a helixing mess 0_o
I think it might be the worst colour I've worked with yet! Same here, I backcombed it to death and sealed it countless times and it just didn't work. It was super frustrating D:

crystalgem26709
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:29 am

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by crystalgem26709 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:50 am

I have to say that BH's Natural colours I have nver had any problems with but Fantasy and Funky colours I find them to be very pot luck. Petrol Green was awesome and sealed so well as did bright red and disco pink but neon pink, yellow and green, platinum blonde, light orchid and bright yellow did NOT seal no matter what I did, it was all VERY frustrating that my money was wasted though I am glad that I only bought one pack of each of those colours.
I think I'm going to follow the lead of an assiciate of mine and change my supplier and check out afrocare and another site she told me about.

User avatar
debra_beretta
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:31 am
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by debra_beretta » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:29 pm

BH Fantasy Pink Lilac.

I bought about 8 bags of this recently, got down tonight to make some lovely lilac dreads and I'm getting nowhere. Firstly, there's not much in a packet. It backcombs nicely but will not steam nice and firm. I've made two dreads so far and they're floppy as hell and although they're retaining shape, I know they're going to unravel after about a day's wear. I'm furious >;-(
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about. - H.P Lovecraft

User avatar
starlotus
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by starlotus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:40 am

Mojito from IKS. EVIL, EVIL, EVIL! Lovely color but doesn't seal for @#$% though. I'm battling my way through a chunky 60ct dread set with that right now. Ugh.

User avatar
SyNNy+SuKKupyre
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:52 am
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:38 pm

starlotus wrote:Mojito from IKS. EVIL, EVIL, EVIL! Lovely color but doesn't seal for @#$% though. I'm battling my way through a chunky 60ct dread set with that right now. Ugh.
Thats such a shame was looking forward to trying that color :/
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

Rockngene
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 am
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by Rockngene » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:29 pm

I have two bags of Mojito but still haven't got around to try it. I think I'll make a dread or two tonight.
once upon a time, rockngene.

User avatar
Kittycat
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by Kittycat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:35 pm

I think that it's Jumo braid, but platinum blond (#613) has a certain smell.. It reminds me of catpiss... >-< Feels really bad to send someone a set of dreads that smells like that :(
http://www.kittydreads.se
Like!; Kittydreads @ Facebook

diversityhair
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by diversityhair » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 pm

On my internet travels ive come across something that may help with the sealability of some colours. I dont have any here to try, but certain types of kk/kk imitation fibres are resistant to heat of varying degrees. So it may be a case of using something hotter to seal the dreads, like a low temp straighter or something. Just a thought :)
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

User avatar
rivetlicker_
Posts: 4561
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:54 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:27 am

diversityhair wrote:On my internet travels ive come across something that may help with the sealability of some colours. I dont have any here to try, but certain types of kk/kk imitation fibres are resistant to heat of varying degrees. So it may be a case of using something hotter to seal the dreads, like a low temp straighter or something. Just a thought :)
Shifuku mentioned something about her Jiffy 2 steamer being powerful enough to seal even the toughest BH colours.

diversityhair
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by diversityhair » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:07 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:
diversityhair wrote:On my internet travels ive come across something that may help with the sealability of some colours. I dont have any here to try, but certain types of kk/kk imitation fibres are resistant to heat of varying degrees. So it may be a case of using something hotter to seal the dreads, like a low temp straighter or something. Just a thought :)
Shifuku mentioned something about her Jiffy 2 steamer being powerful enough to seal even the toughest BH colours.
Then this would make sense... it all seals its just some Kanekalon is advertised as heat resistant up to 200 or even in some cases 300degrees! This is so it can be styled without melting etc, so i steamer wouldnt touch that... so we just need hair straighteners or a very hot powerful steamer.
Thats not to say you need something hotter than those temps to seal dreads, its just thats the point in which it may start to melt, so anything nearing those temps should seal the dreads.

Heat is key ;) But without burning ourselves in the process.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

User avatar
Opiate
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:45 am
Location: Syyyydneyyyy, Aus :D
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by Opiate » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:05 am

Still fairly new to the whole hair making thing, but a few months ago I ordered a few bags from buyhair. The turquoise was fantastic but the fantasy purple and blue refused to seal. And I was pouring boiling water on those bad boys. Yup never again. I've since discovered cypherlox ^_____^
JessFACE
prying.open.my.third.eye
facebook.com/OpiateDreads-Custom Dreads and Cyberlox<3

User avatar
lustfullocks
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by lustfullocks » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:54 pm

I honestly hate using any other colors other than the ones i sell - bobby boss

Bobby boss has like ZERO silk factor and therefore doesn't get that mushy feeling like most the other kanekalon brands i've used like black and gold.

I'm soo happy that they started making white kanekalon too.. the white i used to use was SUCH a pain in the ass to work with.
http://www.lustfullocks.com
Dreadfalls, Cyberloxs, combo-locks, DIY hair, accessories, tutorials and more!
FB -http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 1157308260

User avatar
starlotus
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by starlotus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:10 am

I have noticed that the new IKS colors (I've used watermelon, mojito, and one of the blues - can't remember which at the moment - over the past few weeks for different orders) do seem to be more heat resistant. Like if I sit there and hold the steamer on one spot for a bit it'll seal really slowly. Still a pain though and I don't like how it tears up my fingers really badly (don't know if anyone else has this problem) and the shininess and plastic-y feeling annoys me. Maybe it's time to upgrade my steamer though; it would be worth it if it saves me the annoyance.

Speaking of this, has anyone tried using any of the new IKS colors to make natural-style dreads? I've got a ton of it leftover and I want to make myself a set of naturals (as I am currently unemployed and can have fun hair, wooo!) but the texture of the fiber seems like it wouldn't look very nice for naturals....

User avatar
hatemekillme
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:55 am
Location: Milroy, PA
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by hatemekillme » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 am

Pure white i think Its by Lexy or something got it from IKS....I love the color and it looks great in the end...It may just be me though but it was a b***h to backcomb...It seemed like it didnt want to knot up at all and when it did it was hard to keep it even....it took me twice as long as most other colors.....I LOOOOVE the look of it though so maybe its worth the effort in the end.....dont know though theres alot of colors I havent worked with so maybe its not the worst but it was my least favorite Ive run into so far.....

Will say it sealed very nicely though just the backcombing annoyed me
Last edited by hatemekillme on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IKickShins
Posts: 4075
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:36 am
Location: Bay Area, California
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by IKickShins » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:36 am

starlotus wrote:Speaking of this, has anyone tried using any of the new IKS colors to make natural-style dreads? I've got a ton of it leftover and I want to make myself a set of naturals (as I am currently unemployed and can have fun hair, wooo!) but the texture of the fiber seems like it wouldn't look very nice for naturals....
You can get naturals out of it if you're persistent with the backcombing, but they look kind of weird (and unnatural) since the fiber is so shiny.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

User avatar
starlotus
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by starlotus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:40 am

ikickshins wrote:
starlotus wrote:Speaking of this, has anyone tried using any of the new IKS colors to make natural-style dreads? I've got a ton of it leftover and I want to make myself a set of naturals (as I am currently unemployed and can have fun hair, wooo!) but the texture of the fiber seems like it wouldn't look very nice for naturals....
You can get naturals out of it if you're persistent with the backcombing, but they look kind of weird (and unnatural) since the fiber is so shiny.
That's what I figured, but thought I'd ask before I wasted a bunch of hair/time trying to do it. Thanks :)

User avatar
convenientlust
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:11 am
Location: new york
Contact:

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by convenientlust » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:32 am

PrettyDreadful wrote:
SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:
starlotus wrote:Mojito from IKS. EVIL, EVIL, EVIL! Lovely color but doesn't seal for @#$% though. I'm battling my way through a chunky 60ct dread set with that right now. Ugh.
Thats such a shame was looking forward to trying that color :/


I didn't have any problems sealing it with boiling water.
Agreed. I was able to seal it with my steamer, but it's definitely a little tougher than other colors. I finally got around to IKS' spring green and it was pretty much the same thing. I'm sure my sea green, electric blue, and tropical blue will be the same as well. It's worth it though :)

Has anyone tried out IKS' Pure White?

Post Reply

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests