Colours we all hate

Jenna_Cide

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by Jenna_Cide » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:08 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:
Jenna_Cide wrote:Has anyone worked with Doctored Locks' Gold (144), Fall Colors Mix (39R6), Strawberry/Platinum (S27/613), or Light Medium Brown (12)?
Slightly off topic I know, but any problems with those?
I believe the fall mix is BnG, I could be wrong.
Most of the hair that Doc sells is Zury, I think. Zury is rather nice to work with.
Thank you very much!
I just ordered a pack of each and was a little worried...
I'm hoping for Zury. *crosses fingers*
Glad to know most won't be too problematic...
:)

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Fall mix is Black N Gold (it's #39/R6 and is the same color I sell as Autumn Mix). I think most of Doc's colors are Modu (Anytime) now, but I've gotten Sensationnel from them for some colors as well. Modu's out of stock on a lot of kk colors right now so I wouldn't be surprised if they're using other brands for stuff that they normally do use Modu for simply because it's not available.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:30 pm

ikickshins wrote:Fall mix is Black N Gold (it's #39/R6 and is the same color I sell as Autumn Mix). I think most of Doc's colors are Modu (Anytime) now, but I've gotten Sensationnel from them for some colors as well. Modu's out of stock on a lot of kk colors right now so I wouldn't be surprised if they're using other brands for stuff that they normally do use Modu for simply because it's not available.
I'd be giddy to get some Sensationnel!
That's a brand with few problems, right?

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:13 am

Jenna_Cide wrote:
ikickshins wrote:Fall mix is Black N Gold (it's #39/R6 and is the same color I sell as Autumn Mix). I think most of Doc's colors are Modu (Anytime) now, but I've gotten Sensationnel from them for some colors as well. Modu's out of stock on a lot of kk colors right now so I wouldn't be surprised if they're using other brands for stuff that they normally do use Modu for simply because it's not available.
I'd be giddy to get some Sensationnel!
That's a brand with few problems, right?
Sensationnel is not bad at all, I have used their neon orange and neon lime and only had a few comb related problems but a lot of the ladies swear by it ^^
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:21 am

Mmm, it's kinda confusing to call it fall mix, because at first when I knew bugger all about fake hair, I thought it was a mix of colours haha. Then I figured out that fall was autumn. See, it's kinda confusing for non-Americans xD
Anywho, from a few swatches, I've seen purple in it haha.

debra_beretta

Post by debra_beretta » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:53 am

Gah!

I've been dreading for about 3 years now and I've only ever had trouble with one colour and that is a particularly lovely shade (why is it always the lovely ones?!) of royal blue by L.A Trend. I don't think I've ever wrestled with hair like that before. It backcombed ok and I had to steam it about 7 times on each dread and some of the swirled ones came undone. Ridiculous.

Having said that, now they are sealed, they made an absolutely beautiful blue/purple/black pair of falls, even if I'm going to have to reseal the bloody things after each wear ;-)
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about. - H.P Lovecraft

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:13 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:
ikickshins wrote:Fall mix is Black N Gold (it's #39/R6 and is the same color I sell as Autumn Mix).
Mmm, it's kinda confusing to call it fall mix, because at first when I knew bugger all about fake hair, I thought it was a mix of colours haha. Then I figured out that fall was autumn. See, it's kinda confusing for non-Americans xD
Anywho, from a few swatches, I've seen purple in it haha.
It's a mix of burgundy, auburns, golds, oranges, etc. There's no purple in it.. sounds like that swatch was mislabeled or maybe taken with a bad camera that picked up the burgundy as purple? I dunno.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

twigletstar

Post by twigletstar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:44 am

debra_beretta wrote:Gah!

I've been dreading for about 3 years now and I've only ever had trouble with one colour and that is a particularly lovely shade (why is it always the lovely ones?!) of royal blue by L.A Trend. I don't think I've ever wrestled with hair like that before. It backcombed ok and I had to steam it about 7 times on each dread and some of the swirled ones came undone. Ridiculous.
Royal blue is dreadful, it's the only colour I've had in recent times that actually dared to go all crispy! Luckily it was for my own hair, I would never have sent dreads like that to a customer.

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:03 am

I'm not having luck with much of BnG's stuff lately.
Maybe it's just me...

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:36 am

Jenna_Cide wrote:I'm not having luck with much of BnG's stuff lately.
Maybe it's just me...

What colors :i7:
Psylita Sukkubus

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 am

"Gold" is what I worked with today.
I will say it's my first time working with BnG (so it could be a learning curve of sorts) and it's awfully straight, short, and backcombs horribly. It was knotting up so unevenly when I was backcombing. It was breaking, too. I ended up pulling more hair out than was left on the dread. It sealed decently though...

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm

I hate when that happens :i15:
Psylita Sukkubus

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:18 am

I do also.
Today, however, I worked with BnG's Fall (or Autumn ;)) Mix, and it cooperated like a dream. xx

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 am

BnG's Light Medium Brown (12)...not so great for me.
Took multiple attempts to seal.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I used buyhair's Fantasy Ginger for the first time yesterday. It wasn't a new purchase; I have had it as stock for ages.

There is NO WAY this is kanekelon. Feels bad to touch, hard to backcomb, and MELTED when I tried to seal it. PP fibre, I'd put money on it. :x
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

dare2wear

Post by dare2wear » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:19 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:I used buyhair's Fantasy Ginger for the first time yesterday. It wasn't a new purchase; I have had it as stock for ages.

There is NO WAY this is kanekelon. Feels bad to touch, hard to backcomb, and MELTED when I tried to seal it. PP fibre, I'd put money on it. :x
i finally have an answer for this, asked it a few times. thank you!
its such a shame, seems like a nice colour!

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Miss_Panda wrote:kinda OT - but i was wondering instead of having to go through all the comments as i no it's gonna end up with quite a few pages eventually XD we could have the 1st post or a new thread stickied were it can be edited each time to label the colour and brand next to it with a short desc saying 'wouldn't seel' 'hard to back comb' etc instead of the whole review. That way it will be easier for users to locate the review of the colour/brand before they buy it. I don't mind making the thread if anyone else wants me to do this? and i can edit it each time a new review is added ^^ that way we won't end up with 6 reviews all being the same :lol:
still can keep this thread so we can discuss the colours/brands, just thought it would be helpful to have a thread like what i have just mentioned :D

just a suggestion :)

i have yet to try some of these colours, but i've always found white hard to seel, accept one! in a dread kit for Sarin, the white sealed and backcombed lovely! but i don't know the brand, however it did seem to be a bit UV like if you get what i mean.. :P
I too also had an idea simialr to this which I have broached the ADMINS about - making a sub section with the post heading of a specifc colour - then people can post when they brought the colour and what it worked like...

EG - BUyhairs Snow white
miss a - brought on 22nd oct 2007 - sealed well, back combed fine
miss b - oily, smealth funny, brought on 4th dec 2007
miss c - ordered 15th fev 2008 - combed and sealed fine

That way people can see if other people have had trouble with the colour recently whetehr or not to buy it... we rely on each others knowledge to help ensure we all make good quality dreads, i think this would be of us to us all!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 pm

dare2wear wrote:woolhairhabit wrote:
I used buyhair's Fantasy Ginger for the first time yesterday. It wasn't a new purchase; I have had it as stock for ages.

There is NO WAY this is kanekelon. Feels bad to touch, hard to backcomb, and MELTED when I tried to seal it. PP fibre, I'd put money on it.

i finally have an answer for this, asked it a few times. thank you!
its such a shame, seems like a nice colour!
No problem, my dear ;)
You are right, its a gorgeous colour and a srying shame its such a let down. However, I have compared it side by side with Rhubarb by sensationelle and its virtually identical. I know you have used Paul's Hair world in the past, dare2wear, and that they have it in stock there. :D

Gracey xx

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:34 am

SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:
SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:
XxDigitalDolliexX wrote:Modu Emerald Green
sucks ballz!
:evil: :twisted:
Thank you!
I ordered 20 bags to make a kit for a friend of super long Emerald DEs and I have had to settle for whatever the hell comes out of it.

Im so scared to start sealing that I will just lose my mind if they don't seal right.

2 hours to back brush one DE is just RETARDED to me! I can usually back brush 2 bags in like 3 hours ><

And it backbrushes super un even I end up pulling more hair out than is left on the dread :evil:

OT Is it really true that Modu is the only company that makes emerald?
I am thinking I may have to order some more hair and eventually make some more dreads to replace the super crappy ones in the kit :i15:

I have to retract some of that after i found another comb it started to back brush a little easier and seals very stiffly but I still hate the stuff and have over 10 bags still to dread and realy not looking forward to ever making Emerald Green Dreadies ever again !

I ordered some Emerald Green from IKS and it's sealed and backcombed fine fore me. Actually, it seals fantastically. I am, however, using it blended with navy blue kk.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:42 am

Jynx wrote:

I ordered some Emerald Green from IKS and it's sealed and backcombed fine fore me. Actually, it seals fantastically. I am, however, using it blended with navy blue kk.

I'm almost through all the EG that I ordered but it's still hit or miss.
I'm kinda 50-50 on it.
Psylita Sukkubus

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:09 am

The Dark Golden Brown Mix from ikickshins....never worked with this color before so I'm not sure if it's just a crappy bag or if it's this particular color, but I just made 1/2 of 1 DE and I already want to shoot myself in the face. It's knotting up (in a bad way) and giving me a really soft, squishy seal.

It's for a customer order too so I just have to suck it up and do it. Grrr.....

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:51 am

Gahh no its not just you its the color. I ordered a few bags of those and was only able to get a few dreads out of the whole bag. It was a pain in the arse!!

leviclementine

Post by leviclementine » Sat May 08, 2010 4:22 am

The bright green KK I got from Pauls Hair World seems to be a b*tch to work with at the moment, grrrr
>:(

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 am

leviclementine wrote:The bright green KK I got from Pauls Hair World seems to be a b*tch to work with at the moment, grrrr
>:(
Which brand did you buy? I find their usual brand of Jumbo (Sensationelle Braid Now) to be decent quality hair, I just wish the colours were more vivid.

Gracey xx

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm

hehe, is there any colours that aren't mentioned in this thread?
I haven't tried out many different ones yet and i'm still learning so don't have enough experience to pick out good hair from bad as bad dreads are still likely to be a result of my amateur technique at the moment..hehe. But i'd say BHs Royal Blue was a bit tricky as it was quite shiny. Looks nice once you manage to seal it though.
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”