synth curly dread extensions

plum poison

synth curly dread extensions

Post by plum poison » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:31 am

I'm making a set of curlies for a girl who wants them as extensions as apposed to falls, now i've not ever had curly extensions before and just want a bit of know how about them

1. how long before they tend to droop (bearing in mind they will be sealed like a mofo)

2. is there any way to prolong the life of the curliness (with regards to sleeping in them too!)

3. washing- increases droop? and any method of minimising this?

4. any other advice anyone can give

Vicsarina

Re: synth curly dread extensions

Post by Vicsarina » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:50 am

The longer they are, the quicker they droop. The heavier they are, the quicker they droop.

If you keep them light, and tied up, they won't droop as quickly. But make sure your method of curling them is thorough. If they are thick, steaming them on a pole won't last long. Boiling water, will. Make sure you leave them until they are totally dry though. (May take a couple of days)
*Rule Obsessor*

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 am

it really depends on the hair type/brand.
I made a curly set recently using all Buyhair: Aqua (shiny finish) & Baby Blue (matt finish) among others.
I had these dreads in for about a month.
the Baby Blue curls fell out literally within about half an hour of installing them.
the Aqua ones remained pretty perfect for the entire month.
if I were you, I'd recommend posting a thread including all the colours you intend to use so that the girls can offer some feedback. other wise it's impossible to know which brands/types will hold the curls !
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:47 am

buyhairs baby blue is crap though anyway. if you got the annoying waxy feeling one which doesn't seal for s**t. i think i generally have a good idea of which colours seal well and those that don't now anyway. ta for the advice

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 am

My birthday curlies I first did round a super thin pole and they were like super curly! I suppose if you start off them them mega curled it'll take longer for the curl to fall. I re did them round something thicker and took them off before they had totally dried as I didn't want them super culry. I wore them for a week, they were about boob lenght and quite thick. I took them out and washed them and the curl was still in them. I pored boiling water over them which seems to be the best method.

Again like you were saying it depends on the hair. I wouldn't seal them too tight though as I did and you get like creases in the dread as you wrap it round. Do them a bit looser.
Now taking custom orders - www.myspace.com/freckles_hair_candy

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:59 pm

I wear mine mostly as falls with a few braided in around the hairline. The droop after a few wears, but honestly not terrible. I kind of like them better after they relax more too.

UvKITTY

Post by UvKITTY » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:08 pm

you could always print out little mini insturctions for her, if she experiences droop-i-ness with her dreads, then she'll know how to tighten the curls herself.
UvKITTY - Sh*t To Make You Look Cuter. Tutorials. Hair. Accessories. -http://www.uvkitty.com
KillerCosmetics - For When Cute Just Doesn't 'Cut' It. Vegan, Mineral, Make-Up. - http://killercosmetics.etsy.com

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”