I may be dense, but...

The 13th Gypsy

I may be dense, but...

Post by The 13th Gypsy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:46 pm

I've seen people talking about making dreadfalls on hair elastics and I'm having a hard time figuring out how this would work. It seems as if they'd be too small to hold enough dreads for good coverage. Am I being stupid in thinking they're just plain circular stretchy hair elastics, or is there some special kind that I'm unaware of? If it is this kind, how do you put them on? Just slip them over the bun just as they are without twisting them and pulling the dreads through again like you would to make a ponytail? Or do you just slip them over the bun and anchor them really well with pins? I did see some stretchy things with little hooks on each end somewhere and wondered if maybe that is what is being used. I''d really like to try this and I'd love to see a close-up view of some made this way. Also, I'd appreciate it if someone in the UK could give me a good on-line source for the elastics, clips, claws, bobbles, etc.

I've got a sinking feeling this is going to be one of those times I am going to feel realllllly stupid when I find out how complicated I've tried to make this. ;)

LittlePinkFaery

Re: I may be dense, but...

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:32 pm

general they mean elastic- you can get it in any fabric shop/ market stall, supermarket.

You cut a generous amount of elastic that can wrap around a bun at least twice, attach your dreads and then tie up the eastic with good strong knots.

You kind of attach them backwards
see my website, there is an FAQ on how to wear

http://www.littlepinkfaery.co.uk/lpfguide.html

If you are are using hair elastics then you are right- they are not big enough- you can pretty much guarantee any fall made on a hair elastic will be thin!

For claw grips that are cheap, try primark- only £1 for two!

medusa

Post by medusa » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:32 pm

Yes, it's the long strips of elastic, generally.

I used to use elastic lace, but I suddenly can't find any anymore, so I put my last set of falls on regular elastic. It worked great, but here's a caution - don't double knot the elastic! I did that, and couldn't get them back out of my hair (I pulled the knots really tight, what was I thinking?!). A bow or something would suffice. No double knots!

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:57 pm

I tend to knot the elastic up like a BIG hair elastic, then tie it on like a hair bobble- that way no need for double knots that need undoing!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:06 pm

I use hair elastics. You can easily fit around 60 dreads on them if you mount them in layers instead of just side-by-side
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

AntaresJB

Post by AntaresJB » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:14 pm

I used to use regular hair elastics when I made DEs, but I would make two layers on separate elastics and put them on one on top of the other. Now I usually do SEs for falls so I can't get them on regular elastics so instead I cut open thin elastic headbands, make two or three layers (putting a few dreads over multiple layers to anchor them together, then tie the ends of the headbands back together and put them on just like regular hair elastics. I find this way pulls the dreads more tightly together and more firmly against the base of your buns than if I use ribbon or lace - with ribbon or lace they always seem to slide off my buns unless I go hairpin-crazy. I never have that problem with elastics. :)

ikickshins, I've always wondered how you do multiple layers of SEs on a single hair elastic, as I love the look of your falls. I totally understand if you want to keep it your secret but I'd love to know if you care to share. :)
-- Antares J. Barr --
Like chicks with acoustic guitars? Check out my music on Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/antaresjb

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:23 pm

ikickshins wrote:I use hair elastics. You can easily fit around 60 dreads on them if you mount them in layers instead of just side-by-side
yeah I know you can make them full by layering- but then that is a whole different thing to explain LOL!

The 13th Gypsy

Post by The 13th Gypsy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:53 pm

You all have been an immense help! I've made a few sets using stretch lace but I would prefer to do them differently. I do have a big roll of regular white sewing elastic that's about a half inch wide so maybe I'll try that when I run out of the lace. I like the idea of tying the ends together to make one big loop, so I'll definitely give that a try, as well as layering regular elastics. I'm afraid this has to be cut short because I have a cat sleeping on my hand and half my laptop now.

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:48 pm

slightly OT but i was mentioned briefly- making falls on claw clips.

is just your bog standard claw clip you can get in claires etc strong enough to hold up say 20+ DE's? I've been asked a few times about them, as i normally put falls onto elastic or ribbon but im just a bit worried about attaching them and not having them go droopy on someone

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”