Horrible Dreads! D=

DeadGirl SUPERSTAR

Horrible Dreads! D=

Post by DeadGirl SUPERSTAR » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Whenever I make dreads I seal them with a straightening iron and a damp cloth, but whenever I go to install them they..fall apart? They don't stay sealed together and I don't understand why. Am I not letting them sit long enough before installing?

Phoenix

Re: Horrible Dreads! D=

Post by Phoenix » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Sounds like you're not backcombing enough, or your straighteners might not be hot enough.

Rae_Bella

Post by Rae_Bella » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:06 am

Hmmm...specifically, are they DE or SE's? If they are SE's, what are using to make them? Like are you using rubber bands to keep the loops in place, or are you making a knot to keep the loop in place? If so, I noticed in my experiences with some of my dreads, it they aren't steamed properly, and/or backcombed, when I install them, I can be a bit rough with my dreads and pull the hair and make accidental poofy looking dread, because of securing rubber bands onto my hair.

What I am saying is, if you are making SE's I would start practicing on making you SE's with knots and not rubber bands.

But it can be due to the fact that you aren't backcombing enough, or there isn't enough heat.

and...

You may want to try experimenting with other techniques, I just found out how well steaming/boiling my dreads, as a good alternative to my steamer at times.

xNatje

Post by xNatje » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:40 pm

are you sure you're using the right hair? I had the same problem because I used jumbo braid and not kanekalon.

DeadGirl SUPERSTAR

Post by DeadGirl SUPERSTAR » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Rae_Bella wrote:Hmmm...specifically, are they DE or SE's? If they are SE's, what are using to make them? Like are you using rubber bands to keep the loops in place, or are you making a knot to keep the loop in place? If so, I noticed in my experiences with some of my dreads, it they aren't steamed properly, and/or backcombed, when I install them, I can be a bit rough with my dreads and pull the hair and make accidental poofy looking dread, because of securing rubber bands onto my hair.

What I am saying is, if you are making SE's I would start practicing on making you SE's with knots and not rubber bands.

But it can be due to the fact that you aren't backcombing enough, or there isn't enough heat.

and...

You may want to try experimenting with other techniques, I just found out how well steaming/boiling my dreads, as a good alternative to my steamer at times.
I'm making SE's. This helped a lot, that's pretty much what happened. XD They just became undone and poofed out everywhere! I'm getting my Jiffy J2 steamer this week so hopefully it'll help more than just a straightening iron and a washcloth.

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”