how long until your natural hair dreads?

MistressH

how long until your natural hair dreads?

Post by MistressH » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:06 pm

ive just taken a set out 4 weeks to the day after they were installed and mynatural hair is pretty matted :shock: its took over an hour to comb though and it was scary :shock: my hair does grow exceptionally quick though

LittlePinkFaery

Re: how long until your natural hair dreads?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:34 pm

it depends on your hair growth or your hair type. You can expect some matting every time you install. It is generally recommended you don't leave in more than 6 weeks.

a whole heap of conditioner will help- don't worry about it.

You don't want to keep in too long as you are not forming nice dreads as they aren't shaped and will gather scrurf.

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:56 pm

Some people start dreads by braiding their whole head and waiting for their regrowth to mat up.

I have natural dreads, and I'd say that it takes like a month for my regrowth to dread, sometimes longer. I never wore dread extensions for that long anyways, because my hair grows quite fast.

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:31 am

Everyone is different on that. Some of my clients mat after a month, some never do. It's really so personal. It will depend on your hair type and texture mostly.
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:45 am

It takes around 2 months before my hair gets matted up. I've found that its easier to deal with if you brush out each section as you remove the extensions instead of brushing it after you've taken out the whole set.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

MistressH

Post by MistressH » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:08 am

thanks for the advice. i looked like bob geldof for a bit there! but everything is fabagain thanks to lush's veganese conditioner!

punquin

Post by punquin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:39 pm

ikickshins wrote:It takes around 2 months before my hair gets matted up. I've found that its easier to deal with if you brush out each section as you remove the extensions instead of brushing it after you've taken out the whole set.
I definitely recommend combing out the mats as you go uninstalling. I usually get the tangled roots damp, add a blop of gentle conditioner then comb the shed hair down the length of my hair. I have stick-straight hair, so it usually slides right off once I loosen the mat.

The one time I did a full uninstall before combing everything out was a nightmare! :roll:

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 am

I had my first set of dreads in for about 1 week and when i took them out they KILLED my hair... i had a HUGE ball of hair come out and had to litrally DRAG some clumps out that would not loosen. i had to condition it very very well before it returned to its normal state!

I think it depends on how you put your dreads in though! because recently Miss_sami installed my dreads in a platt all the way down the dread and they come out easy without dreading my natural hair!... However my first install all the hair was wrapped at the top of the dread so no hair showed and thats when i had ALL the problems!.. It also depends on your hair type if its prone to get knotty it may way knot no matter which method you use... Sorry im not much help hun lol

XX
**Zombie <^/._.\^> Kitty**

http://twitter.com/JayJayCuppycake

phuturatica

Post by phuturatica » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:32 pm

Like others have said, I think it all depends on your hair type, your environment and how you look after your hair whilst having dreads in.

I normally find that my hair starts matting and dreading at the roots of my hair if I leave my hair in for over a month. Then again whilst I have dreads in I do rinse them with water every now and then, unlike some people who don't even wash their hair whilst having fake hair in!

The best way, I find to get rid of the matting and dreads is to remove the fake hair and then get in the shower straight afterwards without brushing your hair. Then I plonk LOADS of conditioner on my hair and then brush the conditioner through the hair and untangle the knots and matting as I'm going along. I used to use a wide toothed comb to do this, however I found I was losing loads of my natural hair and pulling loads of hair out. :S So I started using an ordinary soft brush and I've found that to untangle my knots and matting hair and not pull it out so much like the wide toothed comb was doing!
Recollect me darling, raise me to your lips... two undernourished egos, four rotating hips...

downinahole

Post by downinahole » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:21 pm

My hair trys to dread itself after a few days :( A week is the longest i can really keep mine in. After i've taken them out i use a deep conditioning mask before combing, takes some of the ouch out of the process.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:24 am

my hair matts up properly after about 2 months, but will start matting a bit before then, but nothing major. I find the best way to combat the matting is to take one section out and then pull apart the matting with my fingers. I find this works better than using a comb/brush and results in less snapping. Do each section one by one. Then I wash twice and condition twice (once with a rinse out and once with a leave in). Then comb with a wide toothed comb, then comb with a fine toothed comb.

If you are struggling with matting after a short amount of time and don;t want to redo your extensions in less time than that you can redo each section after a couple of weeks. Take one out comb, put it back in, keep going til you have done your whole head. This will keep your extensions and root growth looking neat too.

Don't do that for extended periods though, it isn't good for your hair to stay sectioned with the same part lines for too long. So only do that for as long as you would normally keep extensions in for, up to 2 months I would say.
telling it like it is!

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”