Steamer Recommendation Thread (for the UK)

[Tank]

Steamer Recommendation Thread (for the UK)

Post by [Tank] » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:33 pm

We had one of these on the old board and they seemed like quite a good idea so I thought I'd start it up again.

I'm looking to buy a steamer (my first) for Christmas, can anybody recommend me one? I'd preferrably like a smaller, lighter one, maybe a handheld/gun type, but I've no idea how to even start looking for one. Had a wee browse on Argos and review sites, but obviously as people dont leave reviews for how easy the steamer was at sealing dreads I thought I'd ask you lot :D

(I'd browse through older threads for this answer, but like I said I think it would make a helpful sticky for people to look through, maybe post bad reviews for steamers here too? Also, someone could start one up for the US like on the old board too as obviously the same hardware doesnt apply :D)
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

ScarletLady

Re: Steamer Recommendation Thread (for the UK)

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:40 pm

i got mine from wilkinsons - i think it's brilliant...can't find it on their website but it's exactly like this one...it was supposed to be £15 but i paid £7.50 for some reason - that's just how it went thru the till...i use the wide attatchment with the towel sleeve to steam dreads...

but i'm not a pro so not sure how it would hold up with heavy usage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 85ffea1708
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:03 am

i got mine from argos. the electrolux steamer (39.99) is sh**e the jet is too powerful and ends up fluffing any loose bits out more. it also broke rather quickly the thread on the screw top got crossed and didnt shut properly and the shut off valve broke and couldnt make the steam shut off without turning the whole damn thing off. it also only lasted about 1 or 2 dreads before i'd have to refill it. grrr
i've now got the proaction steamer which seems alot better, slightly gentler jet of air and lasts a good 4 or 5 DE dreads. it was 29.99.

zaahn

Post by zaahn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:38 pm

I second the Agros Pro-Action Plus Steamer, reasonably priced and easy to use. If anything goes wrong they always replace it too :) More detailed reviews here: http://www.zaahndreads.co.uk/resources.php
http://www.zaahndreads.co.uk - Dedicated to bringing you high quality synthetic dreads for over 10 years.

http://www.katiestainer.co.uk - Contemporary origami jewellery and accessories.

[Phexxie]

Ee: Steamer Recommendation Thread (for the UK)

Post by [Phexxie] » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:21 pm

I've used both ProAction and Electrolux, I'm still not sure which one i prefer

My frist ProAction was brilliant and i loved it, but eventually it packed in after about 5 full sets of dreads. After a lot of arguing and having to see the manager, Argos finally replaced it.
My new ProAction lasted through ONE set of falls before it started spewing out steam randomly then eventually ceased to steam at all.

I went back to Argos and paid the £20 difference for an Electrolux

I've so far made one set of dreads and it worked fine, although it does seem to be a little 'weak' compared to my ProActions, i had to steam each dread about 3 times, but they have held up very well and I still have them in almost 2 months later with only minimal signs of unraveling (though thats also probably due to my excessive backcombing habit)

If you go for ProAction, I would say expect to be replacing it at some point (I believe it is a problem with the element burning out so they stop producing steam)
If you go for Electrolux, expect to have to steam a few times (but maybe I just got a bad batch)

x

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Thank ya gals :D
Think I know which one I'll be purchasing :lol:
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:38 pm

i've just got the "prolectrix steam power cleaner, 3 bar 1000w"

just like this one. I got mine from boyes, reduced to £9.99
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:i've just got the "prolectrix steam power cleaner, 3 bar 1000w"

I was looking at that one awhile ago, I got the pro-action one eventually - not used it yet!
How does yours work so far?

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:11 pm

I bought a JML Steam Bee which works brilliantly. I got mine from ASDA for £25.
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:44 pm

I have a Proaction steamer which is currently pretty much dead. A few ways to tell it's on it's way out:

-taking longer than usual to heat up
-having to reheat x2 as much than normal
-the towelling cloth getting wet within a few uses
-spits out steam after releasing the button

Sybafairy

Post by Sybafairy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:48 pm

I am after a new steamer.. that JML looks cute to boot!

Does it come with the padded attachment, you know the spongey one that helps to smooth (great technical knowledge me *flex*).. looked up on JML.com but it doesnt say?

Dont want to get a pro-action due to need to replace it over and over and my distance from town
Blue Army ----- Cavalry Commander and General Nommer of biscuits

LadyJay

Post by LadyJay » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:38 am

i also have the ProAction one from argos. I got it late November..Its held up for me so far and with pretty decent results . it heats up pretty fast and it seems to be just the right power for sealing. after reading this im now waiting for mine to pack up...lol.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:16 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:i've just got the "prolectrix steam power cleaner, 3 bar 1000w"

that's the one i've got - i think it's brilliant :D
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Sybafairy

Post by Sybafairy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 am

Has anyone tried this little devil? I need a new steamer and it is cute too.. considering i have a things for pingu's lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-HT880-D ... YJ8VAPQ18H
Blue Army ----- Cavalry Commander and General Nommer of biscuits

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Sybafairy wrote:I am after a new steamer.. that JML looks cute to boot!

Does it come with the padded attachment, you know the spongey one that helps to smooth (great technical knowledge me *flex*).. looked up on JML.com but it doesnt say?

Dont want to get a pro-action due to need to replace it over and over and my distance from town
Mine didn't come with any sponge attachments, but I just use my straighteners to smooth out my dreads after I've steamed them =]

LadyJay

Post by LadyJay » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 pm

Ive heard alot of people mention that they do that with their straighteners....do you put them straight onto the dread or put a towel over them first?

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:23 pm

I put mine straight on the dread because they're already wet after steaming. I only keep contact for a second to avoid burning the hair.

LadyLillith

Post by LadyLillith » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Sybafairy wrote:Has anyone tried this little devil? I need a new steamer and it is cute too.. considering i have a things for pingu's lol

I've just ordered that one. I'll tell ya if it breaks when I do my new set of dreads in a couple of weeks!!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

If the music is too loud, you are too old.

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:13 am

ScarletLady wrote:

that's the one i've got - i think it's brilliant :D
Ive just got one of these too (having looked at this thread) and I agree Its good :D
I did wonder if at 10000w its powerful enough but it works well
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

LadyLillith

Post by LadyLillith » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:59 pm

LadyLillith wrote:
Sybafairy wrote:Has anyone tried this little devil? I need a new steamer and it is cute too.. considering i have a things for pingu's lol

I've just ordered that one. I'll tell ya if it breaks when I do my new set of dreads in a couple of weeks!!
Well it hasnt broken yet! I've done about 30ish dreads already. A full tank will last about 15 dreads or if you do about 7-8 twice over. It took a while to warm up at first but it is quite powerful.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

If the music is too loud, you are too old.

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Well, I tend to make a lot of dreads so i wear steamers out pretty quickly.

I've tried the Penguin - Sh*te! Lasted for a month then packed in. Stopped heating up.
Since then I've had 2 Electrolux. Can't remember what models they were - one was blue and one was yellow.
Both of them were equally bad. Lasted for about 3 full sets of 60 DE's then started to spit out hot water at me - which hurts. And also makes a hell of a mess of the livingroom!

So, i've given up on hand-held steamers. Im going industrial!!! haha!

Got my eye on this baby from argos Image

Has anyone tried using these types of steamers before? Im going to get it during the week, so I can update everyone when i use it. Got 3 orders on the go, so I should use it by the end of the week, maybe next!
Computers are like air-conditioning - they work fine until you open windows.

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm

ooh yeah definately let me know on that one! im sick of hand held steamers that end up breaking every few months. luckily ive bought £3 guarantees on them all so ive only really had to buy one and just keep getting them replaced as they're still under guarantee from argos! woo

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:50 pm

plum poison wrote:ooh yeah definately let me know on that one! im sick of hand held steamers that end up breaking every few months. luckily ive bought £3 guarantees on them all so ive only really had to buy one and just keep getting them replaced as they're still under guarantee from argos! woo
I will do. Bought it on ebay for £34 plus whatever the postage was! It arrived today, so I will be trying it out this evening or tomorrow. Im all excited. Sad cow that I am - imagine getting excited over a bloody steamer?! lmao!!!

Claire

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:01 am

hows that steamer treating ya miss evil locks??

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Well, I finished using my new steamer today. When i first started using it i thought it was rubbish. I usually sit on my couch and steam from there, but that doesn't work with this bad boy.

You have to have the steamer standing like in the photo, otherwise the steam doesn't continually flow and you end up sitting there holding a twisted dread for ages before steam appears, then disappears after a few seconds.

But since standing using it, it has been SUPERB!!! Theres a nice steady continuous flow of steam which isn't over powering, its nice and calm! I just twist the dread in my hand then run it slowly over the steam and that was it - perfect.

I made 60 medium DE dreads and I had to refill the steamer 3 times - but I never filled it right to the top, so perhaps 2 would suffice.

I'm a happy camper!

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”