backombing: how

shawncurry1344

backombing: how

Post by shawncurry1344 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:38 pm

I can't seem to backcomb without rivetlicker's tutorial running and listening to her talk me through it. I am a hairdresser and fell in love with this stuff but i have to tell you backcombing synthetic hair is much different than human hair. I feel like I am starting hair school all over again.

I made a set for a client and thankfully only charged her materials as it was my first finished kit. She is happy but looking at the lovely work here I see how far I have yet to go. Rivet is right: the backcombing makes or breaks your dreads. I have started with some clearance bin fiber (100% kanekelon) as I am learning. does the brand of fiber make a difference? This stuff is difficult to work with. Or do I just need to keep at it? I am using Jumbo Braid by Hair Plus Trading Co, Inc. All thoughts are welcome.

Would post a pic of my progress but can't figure out how. Sorry, n00b here. :-(

Miss Liberty

Re: backombing: how

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 pm

It is tricky at first, but you get the hang of it. kanekelon is the fiber of choice for dreads, so you are good there. As far as one specific brand of kanekelon being better than another, I dont know that I have experienced that. Sometimes certain colors can be harder to back comb for whatever reason. But brand never really effected me personally. Some others might have a difference of opinion there.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:11 am

It just takes practise. I can't say I was any good at backcombing at first. It's a start when you know how to backcomb human hair on a head, but once you get used to backcombing synthetic hair, it'll stick. I can't help backcombing my own hair like my dreads, I kind of matte up my hair a bit too much :lol:

It also takes a lot out physically (well, out of me, anyway).

shawncurry1344

Post by shawncurry1344 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:36 am

Well then I will just keep plugging away. My arms could use a good shaping up. As soon as i figure out how to post pics I will. Thanks for the encouragement :mrgreen:

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”