Does my backcombing look ok? *pics*

juustojoki

Does my backcombing look ok? *pics*

Post by juustojoki » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi!

Well, I got my KK and started backcombing. It is SO much harder and time consuming that I thought it would be. So far I have only backcombed 12 in about 5 hours (or more). WHY?! I'm sure you get faster and more efficient as you gain experience, but have any of you ever taken THIS long just to backcomb, even in the very beginning of your dread making days?

Anyway, I just wanted to know if they look normal before I proceed. They all pass the erection test *snicker*. I've tried to make them as bump-less and uniform as possible, but have sometimes failed. Oh well. Some of them will look wonky once sealed. I don't really mind, I guess...

Here are some photos (I hope this works; first time on photobucket or a photo sharing site):

For example, if you look at the one that's on the top layer, second from the left, it doesn't really look backcombed enough on the higher end... I did everything I could. It simply won't fix! :(

Sorry about the photo quality; internal webcam.

Thanks!
"To set your mind free, you must first just listen. Don't waste your life on worthless hate and contradiction, don't you." - Nevermore, "A future Uncertain"

Miss Liberty

Re: Does my backcombing look ok? *pics*

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

The pics are indeed a little blurry, but from what I can see it is pretty good for your first time around. YES! It takes FOREVER to backcomb, especially in the beginning. This is part of the reasons a custom sets are priced the way they are! Some days you will be in the zone and whip out dread after dread, and on others, you'll be at it for hours and only a few will get done. It really depends on your experience, muscle memory, and the quality of the hair. But you will improve :)

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Thank you :) I hope they will hold up long enough! I find that I keep going back to some previous ones and backcombing them again out of paranoia.
I have gotten a little faster, but the pace is still incredibly slow. AAAAAaaa
I watched Rivet Licker's tutorial on the loops, but sadly was simply not physically able to backcomb them without any sort of knot first :p So I just tie a simple knot and start backcombing. Also, sadly, the first few I made (in the photos) were on a rope I found that was much too thick. I'm assuming there's no way to save the situation now, so I'll just install those in the least visible areas.
I hope I have enough hair to make 100 :(

Thank you! I was getting a little paranoid about their quality and wasn't sure if they would be ok, but ended up proceeding anyway with the same method. They're going to be quite skinny!

One final question: Could, say, 70 SEs be enough? :/ They're quite skinny, though.
"To set your mind free, you must first just listen. Don't waste your life on worthless hate and contradiction, don't you." - Nevermore, "A future Uncertain"

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am

it's hard to tell without touching them, but they look okay:)

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00 am

Thank you :)

Disregard the last question! I finally finished 125 dreads. I've sealed about half of them, and they seem ok.

I feel like a million people stood in a line and took turns punching me and jabbing thick needles in my back :p WORTH IT. Sort of. :D

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 pm

i find backcombing a tedious task, ive been making dreads for so long now and it still takes me forever lol i get bored and way to distracted, its just taken me 11 days to backcomb 14 dreads lol

but yours seem to look ok, sometimes its just trial and error, if they start falling apart straight away then you know you need to backcomb more next time
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 am

Ok, so it's not just me :p
I'm finally done! I'll post them in the critique section. I reeeeeeally hope they're backcombed enough and don't fall apart soon!

BambooPanda13

Post by BambooPanda13 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 am

I find with time and a good movie you will have more done that you will realize. I back comb really fast and hard, I think I back combed and sealed around 7 SE dreads in an hour or so earlier. I've made a lot of dreads. You definitely have to have the energy and be in the mood to crank them out though and having a distraction for your mind like a good movie or maybe a marathon of your fave show is great. Time will fly faster!

The-Halloween-Master

Post by The-Halloween-Master » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 pm

As far as I can see, they look quite alright, specially for your first time! :)

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks guys! BambooPanda13, I ended up watching tons of movies and episodes; it was a lot more tolerable that way :p But I frequently had to get up and stretch. My back was in an immense amount of pain. Worth it, though!

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”