Installing SEs in super short hair

Night Glo

Installing SEs in super short hair

Post by Night Glo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:55 am

Okay, so my beautiful SEs are in the mail now and I can't wait to try out an install! :D I'm wondering what people have found is the best method for installing SEs in super short hair (2-3")?

I saw the doclocks tut that is for DEs and I could see how it may be adapted to SEs - treating one side of the loop as a "DE," separating the section in two, threading both pieces of the section through the loop, then banding them back together, and banding down the SE until it stays put. I've read that a lot of people find this method is quick, yet especially painful. I also have a little bit of a sensitive scalp so I'm not sure if I should do this as my first install (though I am going to use medicated shampoo I think for a couple of days before install, as someone suggested).

I also read somewhere on here that someone began putting in the extension with the normal braiding method, but after securing the dread with the first bit of braid, left the natural hair out and kept braiding it along side the dread - and then sewed it to the dread. Does anyone have a pic of what that looks like? I'm not clear on how to even go about doing that, and I can't seem to find any info specific to synthetic dreads & short hair when I google it. :oops:

I also read that someone here uses aloe vera gel on their hair to keep it from being too slippery and as an alternative to putting gel in when they're installing - I'm just wondering how that feels a week or so later in terms of having greasy/stinky hair?

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:
she knows the human heart
and how to read the stars
now everything's about to fall apart..

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Installing SEs in super short hair

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Night Glo wrote:
I also read that someone here uses aloe vera gel on their hair to keep it from being too slippery and as an alternative to putting gel in when they're installing - I'm just wondering how that feels a week or so later in terms of having greasy/stinky hair?

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:
I cannot comment on putting SEs into really short hair except that the Doc Locks video is the best short hair vid I've seen. However, I use Aloe Vera Gel in my hair when I do installs. Seems to make no difference at all as far as grease/stink goes since I don't get it on my scalp, only my hair. It does help keep fly-aways at bay though!

Night Glo

Post by Night Glo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:15 pm

VixenSingsBlack wrote: I cannot comment on putting SEs into really short hair except that the Doc Locks video is the best short hair vid I've seen. However, I use Aloe Vera Gel in my hair when I do installs. Seems to make no difference at all as far as grease/stink goes since I don't get it on my scalp, only my hair. It does help keep fly-aways at bay though!
Awesome, I will definitely try that - I need all the control I can get with such little hair to work with!

Cariad Dreads

Post by Cariad Dreads » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 pm

VixenSingsBlack wrote:I use Aloe Vera Gel in my hair when I do installs. Seems to make no difference at all as far as grease/stink goes since I don't get it on my scalp, only my hair. It does help keep fly-aways at bay though!
I have some aloe vera baby oil with a gel consistency that I was considering using for taming my hair during installs, would this work just as well?
Human nature's shedding skin, we're all just shedding skin...

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 am

Cariad Dreads wrote:
VixenSingsBlack wrote:I use Aloe Vera Gel in my hair when I do installs. Seems to make no difference at all as far as grease/stink goes since I don't get it on my scalp, only my hair. It does help keep fly-aways at bay though!
I have some aloe vera baby oil with a gel consistency that I was considering using for taming my hair during installs, would this work just as well?
Baby oil is really slippery, so I think it'd have the opposite effect of what you want. If you use just Aloe Vera Gel sparingly, it makes the hair tacky and thereby more "grabby" making better, cleaner braids. If it's too slick, like with baby oil, I'd think it'd be counter productive.

Cariad Dreads

Post by Cariad Dreads » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:02 am

Okay, thanks :)
Human nature's shedding skin, we're all just shedding skin...

Night Glo

Post by Night Glo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm still waiting for my dreads to come in the mail - too bad that I had this urge to install them over the holidays! I did get a protein oil treatment thing the other day for before I bleach my hair and I'm wondering if I do that maybe 3 or 4 days before I install, and then if I don't use any conditioner for those days - will my hair be "not slippery" enough to do a proper install? Anyone have experience with this? Maybe the treatment will wash out and not make a difference...

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”