Crochet dreads question

CaptainZig

Crochet dreads question

Post by CaptainZig » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 am

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I did a bit of searching here and on google and just couldn't find the answer!

I've recently begun the journey into crocheted naturals, and I love the look of them. I've got the technique down decently (of course I'm going to practice, but thanks to the amazing people doing tutorials, the basics are easy to understand) and I experimented with a double-ended short (about 8in) dread. It looked almost exactly like the ones I've seen--Black Sunshine's tutorial comes to mind--so I got my kettle going, poured the boiling water over the dread, and hung it in my bathroom to dry.

It's definitely sealed and feels solid in the middle, but it's quite stiff and sticks straight out if I hold it by the base of one leg, and some of the texture seems to have been lost. Is it possible that it's TOO sealed? Or perhaps I used too much hair and not enough crocheting? I'm not expecting it to wiggle about like loose hair since it's a dread, but I thought it would have a little wiggle to it.

I've never really made these before so I'm hoping some of the talented ladies here have some advice. :)
Formerly known as Vivi.

AlphaBitch

Re: Crochet dreads question

Post by AlphaBitch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 pm

mine turn out too stiff as well, no matter how lightly I crochet them or how many times I boil them. :?

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”