Dreads + Hygiene at tattoo studio =?

Dreaddictedcreations

Dreads + Hygiene at tattoo studio =?

Post by Dreaddictedcreations » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Okay guys i need your help.
I'm aspiring to become a tattoo artist and the artist at my favourite studio is considering taking me in as an apprentice.
I've planned to made some new dreadies for myself witch synthetic extensions (crocheted) but she told me I couldn't wear that if I wanted to work in her studio. She thought that stuff would fell off from them and it wouldn't be hygenic enough.
I know myself that dreads can get dirty if you don't wash them enough or dry them enough or don't care much about them. But mine stays clean when i have them and they smells really nice. Shouldn't it be ok if i just put them in a knot and maybe wear a bandana around them that i wash often? Of course I will discuss this with her before making them but do you guys have any advice about what i can tell her? I don't think she know much about dreads really. And I sooo want these dreads, I've been longing for them and the're boosting my self confidence. In worst case I probably have to wait for makin dreads until I'm done with being an apprentice, but I hope I dont need that...

Synthetik Ecstasy

Re: Dreads + Hygiene at tattoo studio =?

Post by Synthetik Ecstasy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Nothing should fall off the dreads if they're well made? I wear synthetic dreads to work and my employer has no issue with it. Having synthetic dreads doesn't make any difference IMO. x

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I think maybe she doesn't quite understand what you're wanting to do. She most likely thinks they will be like natural dreadlocks and that "they're dirty". Which they aren't, but alot of people still believe that. Maybe bring her some pictures and things when you discuss it with her to try to help her better understand. But hey if all else fails at least you got the apprenticeship you want!

BambooPanda13

Post by BambooPanda13 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 am

If dreads are installed in the hair there is actually less of a chance of stuff falling from your head than anyone who does not have synthetic dreads. I never really see any synthetic hair shed from me and while my dreads are in I NEVER have any of my natural hair shed because it is all tied up in the dreads. Since the dreads are synthetic plastics overall they are more sanitary to wear than a person NOT wearing them. A person sheds tons of hair they don't even know about so it is more likely someone else there would be dropping hairs on people than you would with dreads installed. =) I don't know how to convince someone who thinks they are dirty if they know nothing about them but you can try explaining this.

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”