questions about fine hair and synth dreads

volksblues

questions about fine hair and synth dreads

Post by volksblues » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:20 pm

would love to see pictures/get advice from people who use synth dreads with fine hair. i have fine hair, but quite a lot of it. i wash it every day in the shower, which sucks. i'm really looking forward to getting my dread kit and installing it so i don't have to deal with my crap hair anymore. right now i'm planning to install a few SE dreads around my hair line and the rest DE. in my one kit coming in the mail i will have 30 DE and 10 SE, i also have 16 other DE dreads i can use. i really hope this will be enough for a nice full looking install. anyways i would love to know:

how many dreads do you typically install?
do you find there is a certain sectioning pattern or braid that works best with fine hair?
do you like SE or DE better for fine hair?
how often do you rinse your scalp and do you use anything when you do (diluted shampoo, tea tree oil etc)?

i know i had more questions, but i'm totally blanking right now. i'll be sectioning and installing myself, with maybe a little help from my boyfriend just to make sure the sectioning is straight. i'm hoping to have more dread density around the front of my hair line/crown of my head and perhaps less dreads around the back of my head. do you think this would cause any issues with bald spots? i plan to use a blanket stitch braid, as my hair is a bit long (a little past my shoulders). i hope to do a full install, with no fringe or side bits left out.

any other advice anyone can offer concerning fine hair and synth dreads would be lovely!!! thanks in advance :D
Steph's Custom Crochet: Etsy // Facebook
I am open to trades! Show me what you have (dreads/headbands/clothes/dread accessories) and if you have something I fancy I will trade you for a custom piece!

rivetlicker_

Re: questions about fine hair and synth dreads

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:36 am

I can just say that I installed somewhat heavy-ish SE dreads into my sparse-at-the-crown fine hair and it's fine :) Smallish sections, but still ok.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:43 am

I have suuuper fine hair and I do alright! I just have to give myself breaks in between wearing dreads. The hardest part is having that added weight that my head isn't used to... I get headaches for a couple days.

Depending on the thickness of the dreads I end up with about 45 DE's typically.

I go back and forth between liking DE's and SE's... I think SE's are a much more seamless install and my scalp is able to balance the weight better, but DE's give me the volume I crave having fine hair in the first place, and like you my hair is longish so DE's make for a much quicker self-install, and my own hair doesn't cover up too much of the lengths. Most of my kits are DE's. :)

Washing, I don't use shampoo unless it's absolutely necessary, and if i do I only wash the roots with diluted residue free shampoo. I typically rinse every couple of days... and I only ever keep my kits in for around two weeks or less.

When installing I do a brick-lay pattern. Hides the gaping parts. :P
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

volksblues

Post by volksblues » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:44 pm

thanks guys! i hope i will do ok with the one kit of 30 DE and 10 SE.. doesn't seem like that much but i plan to do bigger sections at the back. so we'll see how it turns out.
I am open to trades! Show me what you have (dreads/headbands/clothes/dread accessories) and if you have something I fancy I will trade you for a custom piece!

volksblues

Post by volksblues » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:50 pm

has anyone ever used any type of vinegar solution to help with itchy scalp and dandruff? either with dreads or without? i'm slowly cutting down on hair products the weeks before i do my install to try and get my scalp fresh and clean before i put my dreads in and i have a tiny bit of itch and dandruff. nothing too major but i would like it to be gone before i do my install..

pinkbeautykiller

Post by pinkbeautykiller » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:36 am

volksblues wrote:has anyone ever used any type of vinegar solution to help with itchy scalp and dandruff? either with dreads or without? i'm slowly cutting down on hair products the weeks before i do my install to try and get my scalp fresh and clean before i put my dreads in and i have a tiny bit of itch and dandruff. nothing too major but i would like it to be gone before i do my install..
I have never personally tried it my self but i have heard a lot about it, although it would probably be a good idea for me to try it as i have dandruff. I did some quick googling and youtubing and i found some videos that might help you(: check them out and let me know if they help you any. this one is specifically for hair, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4MNcQ5kzP0 and this ones for more then hair but might also be useful and it includes a link in the description for more information(: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV37xnck ... re=related

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:28 pm

I have fine hair and like DE's. They give lots of bulk! You can use witch hazel on your scalp to absorb excess oil. I use dry shampoo on my bangs and wash just the bangs once a week.

volksblues

Post by volksblues » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 pm

thanks guys, i actually read around a lot more and i'm going to try this: http://thehairpin.com/2011/04/how-to-qu ... disgusting

i'm going to do the baking soda/vinegar thing until i get my DEs in the mail and then when i install them for a few weeks i think that'll be good to help with the part where you do nothing but rinse. so hopefully this works out! i'm on day 2 of no shampoo or hair products and i don't feel gross at all, my fine hair has actually done pretty well, it feels lighter and more voluminous without all the conditioner and leave in condition weighing it down.

also i just realized i shouldn't have posted this here so if i a mod wants to move this topic to the general hair chatter forum that would be great!! it seems a bit out of place here :)

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”