Superglue fumes and exothermic reaction!

A_Fabey

Superglue fumes and exothermic reaction!

Post by A_Fabey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:43 pm

im making a new dread set...but i wanted to apply yarn accents. i applied superglue (krazy glue) to the wool and kanekalon and IMMEDIATLY got a exothermic chemical reaction! It make white smoke and ate the test dread. never the less, does anyone know of a glue that wont have a chemical reaction that will burn my nose hairs clean off!?

Furthermore, i dont know if it was the glue on the synthetic hair OR the glue on the yarn that make the reaction, cosidering that plenty of people on this forum have said they used superglue for their ends.

MrsEss

Re: Superglue fumes and exothermic reaction!

Post by MrsEss » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Could be acrylic wool maybe? Try an actual "wool" not acrylic. Or try liquid gold, glue specifically for hair extensions. However, that being said WHY are you glueing them (the accents) to the dreads? Why not wrap them & secure them with a knot??

Makes more sense to me.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

twigletstar

Post by twigletstar » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Superglue does have that effect on synthetic fabric. Although Sarah is right - knot or even elastic band it on! No fumes or otherwise.

Plain ol' PVA/wood glue would probably be strong enough for yarn if you really need to glue it.

A_Fabey

Post by A_Fabey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:42 pm

oh i didnt knot it because i didnt want any ties showing. i wanted it slick as possible. but liquid gold glue for hair? i should get some o' that. and for the ends too?

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:03 am

Surely glue will make them crusty??

I used to glue the ends of synth dreads, but well made dreads don't need it, they should be sealed that well that it's completely unnecessary.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

A_Fabey

Post by A_Fabey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:07 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:Surely glue will make them crusty??

I used to glue the ends of synth dreads, but well made dreads don't need it, they should be sealed that well that it's completely unnecessary.
lol i wish mine were made well! Its only my fourth time! so this time im trying different stuff. like i bought some toyokalon i tried last night. i also burn mine to death. so i dont fear the crusty! lol, im an artist, im just dwelling in the art.

AnarchoFett

Post by AnarchoFett » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 am

I would imagine superglue would be extremely uncomfortable. I would try to find an alternate method.
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having -V

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”